Solved

Why is my Smart meter In Home Display (IHD) not showing any electricity usage data?

Show first post

204 replies

For months, I have only had my smart meter showing gas. This has been happening whiilst with SSE and still after being moved to OVO.

Gas works fine - no issues - available in the IHD and my gas bills are not estimated - and are calculated with actual usage,

Ā 

For electricicty - i have no display at all for electricity within my IHD and OVO are using estimations. The electricty meter itself is working and I have read the technical manaual and can see that it is connected to the HAN - should should be reporting both to my IHD and to OVO.

As part of the diagnostic process, I downloaded the app ā€œBrightā€ which connects directly to the DCC - where the data is send from my SMETS2 device, but this only shows my gas meter.

Ā 

Therefore, does this point to an issue where my electricity meter is not registered in someway with the DCC and thats why im getting no IHD display and estimated bills? And if so, can I fix this myself or is it needed for OVO to ā€œregisterā€ this in some way?

Are there further diagnostic steps I can take? Ive previously had an engineer out from SSE before the move and confrimed everything fine at the property and an issue elsewhere but havent managed to get it working

Ā 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Rosie16Ā ,

Can you post some photos please? I have some idea of the issue, but I could do with running through a few things to make sure.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7

Hey @rjsimmonds,

Ā 

Sorry for the issues youā€™re having!

Ā 

If your meters are still not communicating I'dĀ advise completing a smart meter health check:

Ā 

Ā 

This will help our team diagnose the issue. It might also be worth changing your reading schedule to half hourly if they arenā€™t already, this will mean we are more likely to get readings each day even if the signal is intermittent.Ā 

Ā 

Hope this helps.Ā 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Rosie16Ā and thanks for posting this.Ā 

Ā 

It sounds like itā€™s the In Home Display (IHD) that isnā€™t showing your electricity smart meter info. As Blastoise mentioned, getting pictures will help us know what model of meter and IHD you have. In the meantime, these might be the guides we link you to so are worth a look:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hi @Blastoise186Ā 

Not 100% sure what youre looking for pictures of but here are the screenshots from the Bright app showing only gas

Ā 

Thanks

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks! Iā€™ll need photos of the meters and any IHD as well please. :)

HiĀ @Rosie16Ā and thanks for posting this.Ā 

Ā 

It sounds like itā€™s the In Home Display (IHD) that isnā€™t showing your electricity smart meter info. As Blastoise mentioned, getting pictures will help us know what model of meter and IHD you have. In the meantime, these might be the guides we link you to so are worth a look:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Forgot to mention, already been through the troubleshootting guide.
Will share some meter pictures:

Lights flash every 5 seconds as expected:

Icon showing connection to HAN (MPAN matches whats shown in the Bright App)

Ā 

now with IHD picture too

Ā @Blastoise186Ā  @Tim_OVOĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thx. Bear with me while I have a think about this. Iā€™ll be back in a few hours!

Userlevel 7

Iā€™m not sure what @Blastoise186Ā has cooking up, but if you state the WAN light on the electricity meterā€™s comms hub is flashing, it indicates signal, and therefore an ability to send data to the DCC. Iā€™d recommend you ask the OVO Support team to look behind the scenes at what data weā€™ve got and if thereā€™s any clues on what might not be working properly.Ā 

Ā 

Keep us updated on this!

Customer service team have sent new IHD - which i cant see how it will help
Also a meter health check, which I will complete

Userlevel 7

Hmm the meter health check are the same list of questions you say youā€™ve done already (in this topic). Perhaps theyā€™ve sent you additional questions though. What a puzzle...

I had a smart meter installed on about 13th October. The gas home display worked immediately, but the electricity still isnā€™t working. Iā€™ve been told it can take a maximum of 6 weeks to kick in, which I was dubious about, but waited. Still nothing.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please post photos of everything @PeakayĀ . We can try to help with diagnostics.

Userlevel 7

Thereā€™s also a series of checks you can do, @Peakay. See them here and thereā€™s a form you can complete that sends the results directly to the right team!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hi I have outdoor gas and electric and an indoor replacement smartmeter and outdoor metershave been checked . but the indoor smart meter is only displaying gas so I gave ovo a ring and was told weeks ago to wait till 2nd dec and still gas is still not displaying and ring back after that date so today I did and was told to stroll it I did and nothing was told to ring back again later and they will send someone out to test it. everything else ok bills are the same after leaving sse.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @RozĀ !

Can you post photos of everything for me please? I might be able to help with diagnostics, but I need to identify what youā€™ve got first.

Thanks!

HiĀ 

We have today had a new smart meter installed as the previous one worked intermittently,

andĀ  ? was not compatible with our new solar installation.Ā  The engineer left before the inhouse monitor was plugged in. The in the house monitor is monitoring the gas but not the electric, there isnt even the Z to show we have electric.

The Smart Meter is a Aclara SGM 1411-BĀ with a SKu1 Cellular top bit. We have recently had a solar installation which was unable to give accurate information as it said the meter was incompatible with the installation. (prior to todays new installation) The solarĀ  installation has a battery where we download cheaper electric at night and use it during the day at peak times. We are on a tariff which has a day rate and an economy 7 night rate. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Gill31Ā ,

If youā€™ve just had the meter swapped, it may take a while to recommission before data starts showing. Give it a few weeks and let us know here if youā€™re still struggling.

Userlevel 7

And in the meantime, @Roz, we have some resources for you to confirm and what the issue is:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Since my Aclara Smart Meter was replaced another Aclara meter on 14.11.22 by the OVO engineer my smart display unit has not been showing readings off the meter. The engineer who replaced the meter did not give me a new Smart Display Unit and said the Home Unit would stillĀ pick up the readings off the smart meter. I am to unable to Top Up function on the Home Smart Unit as no readings are coming off the main meter. I will post photos of the issues concerning Home Display Unit. I hope that I receive any assistance and guidance on this matter.

Ā 

Userlevel 7

HiĀ @LodestarĀ and thanks for flagging this.Ā 

Ā 

If youā€™re a prepayment customer, itā€™s likely that youā€™re with either Boost Power.Ā OVO only have a very small number of prepayment customers although this will change as we head into 2023.Ā 

Ā 

Either way, the supplierā€™s Support team will be able to help in ā€˜pairingā€™ the In Home Display to your new meters. If you are with OVO, you can request this via web chat. Otherwise use those links in my top paragraph.Ā 

Why isnā€™t the technology behind all this so useless, Iā€™ve heard of so many people having problems. My sonā€™s IHD stopped working, nothing worked, until he had a power cut, then , lo and behold, it all kicked in. Crazy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Why isnā€™t the technology behind all this so useless, Iā€™ve heard of so many people having problems. My sonā€™s IHD stopped working, nothing worked, until he had a power cut, then , lo and behold, it all kicked in. Crazy.

Sometimes a power cycle of the Comms Hub fixes a ton of issues. The tech is more useful than you think, especially when it is used correctly.

Iā€™m very ignorant, Iā€™ve no idea what a power cycle of the Comms Hub is. I think the majority of ordinary users would also have no idea.Ā 
What should I be doing that Iā€™m not, that would make it work?