Solved

Why is my Smart meter In Home Display (IHD) not showing any electricity usage data?

Show first post

204 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @pauleywauleyĀ 

Ā 

Iā€™ve just posted the below update on this topic, and the same advice applies to you:

Ā 

Iā€™ve had a meeting today with lots of the ā€˜S2ā€™ and ā€˜smart supportā€™ team, to try and better understanding the types of issues, the process, and why things seem to be getting missed in some cases.Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™ve learnt a lot, and will be able to change the advice I offer when pointing members to our Support team, to help the right issue get raised in the right way. Weā€™re also taking steps to build better internal and external resources to help diagnosing and fixing.Ā 

Ā 

In the meantime Iā€™ve also asked for your account to be looked at as an exception, and any outstanding ā€˜caseā€™ to be worked. I hope we get somewhere with this....

Userlevel 1

Ok Tim,

Thanks for letting me know, not heard back from the e mail I sent over a week ago so still waiting to hear from Ovo.

Paul.

Ā 

New chap here but I didnā€™t want to start a new thread about the same old problem so figured Iā€™d reply here then would see replies if and when the above peple get sorted once and for all.

Had my install on Thursday this week, all good, then today electricity is not showing on my IHD6.

Ā 

Userlevel 1

Hi Steve,

Sorry to hear your problems with no electricity reading being sent up, you'll have a very long wait for an engineer, they were really struggling before lockdown, I've been on the engineer to do list for getting on for a year now, no resolution having to manually update my meter reads every month, these SMART meters are fantastic!!!!!!

Paul.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome to the forums @museumsteveĀ . And thanks for the reply too @pauleywauleyĀ :)

What I can say is that the first six to eight weeks following the install of new smart meters and/or upgrade and migration of SMETS1 meters to SMETS2 firmware, things will be unstable while a lot of the back office processes are underway. AĀ misbehaving IHD is one of those symptoms, but it should calm down eventually.

If you still have problems after the first eight weeks, thatā€™s definitely the point where somethingā€™s gone wrong and we can try to dig deeper. Iā€™m hoping to get hold of an IHD for myself in the next few weeks, once thereā€™s stocks available.

Hang in there for now and please keep an eye on how things go.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

HiĀ @museumsteve and welcome to the Forum.

What youā€™ve experienced with your IHD is normal. Thereā€™s a shed load of off-site test and commissioning work to be done after the Installer leaves site. Youā€™ll know when this is completed because your IHD will reflect the correct pricing for the actual tariff youā€™re on. Until then any readings are based on arbitrary values which just happen to be in memory.

Have a look here at the extensive comments about SMETS2 Meter Installation.

HiĀ @museumsteve and welcome to the Forum.

What youā€™ve experienced with your IHD is normal. Thereā€™s a shed load of off-site test and commissioning work to be done after the Installer leaves site. Youā€™ll know when this is completed because your IHD will reflect the correct pricing for the actual tariff youā€™re on. Until then any readings are based on arbitrary values which just happen to be in memory.

Have a look here at the extensive comments about SMETS2 Meter Installation.

Ā 

Thanks for the reply. Not sure I understand as yesterday my IHD was showing elec and gas readings. Today it no longer shows elec and if I log in to my Ovo account it shows Gas is receiving readings but not electrical.

Iā€™m happy to be proven wrong, being a newbie :)

Userlevel 1

Hi Steve,

Exactly what mines been doing for over 1 Ā½ years now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks @museumsteveĀ .

I think itā€™s possible that some of those readings might be estimates or predictions, but probably wonā€™t be accurate for the first six weeks or so. You might want to compare them against whatā€™s displayed on the meters themselves (the readings on the meters themselves should always be correct unless thereā€™s a fault).

I think the OVO Energy app can help to clarify this however. If memory serves, it does tag the reading types in the history.

As for your own issue @pauleywauleyĀ , Tim is actively chasing up this type of issue right now. I donā€™t have anything to share publicly, but weā€™re making progress on this sort of thing in some of the private areas of the forum. Weā€™ll try to share any more info as soon as we can.

Userlevel 1

Hi Blastoise,

Yes I think it was Tim that reported my issue many months ago but not heard anything for months, looks like I'll be switching suppliers with a duffĀ  smets2 meter.

This IS the way..

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Just have a look at whatĀ @Tim_OVO posted yesterday about a video-call Iā€™ve just had with Stephen Fitzpatrick, CEO of OVO Group.

We have discussed the issues of ā€œmissing dataā€ and we are agreed that the analysis has thus far fallen short of what is acceptable.

There have been a number of Topics here on the Forum since Febā€™20 where customers have provided high quality information on this very subject. I have no doubt that Stephen wants this picked up and treated with a more appropriate level of appreciation.

As Tim writesā€¦ we should expect to hear more on this PDQĀ  :slight_smile:

Ā 

@museumstevewrites:

Not sure I understand as yesterday my IHD was showing elec and gas readings. Today it no longer shows elecā€¦

Yes, thatā€™s not unexpected. Your site now has to be acquired by and patched into the National Smart Meter Network. This requires secure data paths to be set up via Telefonica or Arqiva, the Data Communications Company (DCC) and Utilisoft. Software updates will be sent to your Communications Hub and SMETS2 Electricity Meter and Gas Meter by the respective manufacturers.

The four on-site devices will be registered with the national meter databases, ECOES and Xoserve.

The readings from the old meters will be passed to Morrison Data Services and a notification sent to OVO for confirmation that the readings are in line with expectations, based on your energy-usage trends.

Data from both old and new meters will be passed to the Billing System which will copy your tariff into the Comms Hub using an interface which will be set up on uSmart.

Thereā€™s a great deal of testing to be done as all these various parties liaise with each other. They will not be taking time-out to check that your IHD accurately reflects the usage status in the meantime. If it temporarily loses its data link to your Comms Hub, then only you will notice this.

I hope that gives you an insight into whatā€™s going on during the following days.

Why does the Home Display (IHD) shows only electric meter reading not Gas, looks like itā€™s not paired to Gas meter.

Ā 

Is there any way i can do hard reset?

This is the replacement device, while the original one doesn't manage to pair with smart meters at all.

Ā 

Ovo is not able to resolve the issue and they dont have any clue why this is happening. The installation of smart meters by OVO is such a pain.

Time line of Installation:

Sep-2020 - Installed smart meters but not commissioned

Nov-2020 - Found that smart meters are faulty

Dec-2020 - Installed new smart meters and commissioned, although IHD doesnt work

Jan 2020 - Sent a new IHD

Mar 2020 - After 2 months received new IHD, although Gas readings dont display.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @nag.guptaĀ !

It sounds to me as if your new IHD is still setting itself up, but it should be paired to both meters. You canā€™t do a hard reset yourself however, youā€™d need to get OVO to help with that. However, this shouldnā€™t be required to solve a problem like the one you describe.

Please could you fill out your profile for me? It helps us a lot to figure out the right advice. If you can also snap a few photos of your meters and IHD then pop them in your next reply, thatā€™d be smashing. It helps to make sure I know exactly what youā€™re seeing.

Iā€™ll be able to go from there once I know what youā€™ve got.

I have contact OVO this morning, they informed me that Gas meter no is not reflected in one of there system, for that reason it is not pairing with IHD.

Ā 

as usual i need to wait another 10days for them to amend the old reading with new.

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks for letting us know @nag.guptaĀ .

It sounds like this can be fixed remotely, but please keep an eye on things just in case. If you still have problems after 10 days, feel free to stop by again and weā€™ll be happy to dig deeper. :)

Userlevel 7

Yep I agree, I think we can get this smart gas meter added remotely. Then you should start to see that gas usage info on the IHD. Weā€™re here to help for anything technical like this, so feel free to pop back any time.Ā 

Ā 

@nag.guptaĀ I have moved your comments over to this similar thread.Ā 

Recently had Electricity and Gas Smart Meters and IHD installed after switching to OVO. IHD is working in most respects, showing gas and electric usage (kwh), but only gas is showing price (Ā£), electric just shows Ā£0.00.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @vectisĀ ! Welcome to the OVO Forum :)

I think I know whatā€™s going on here. How long has it been since your Smart Meters were installed? In some cases, it may take up to six weeks for a full commission to complete, but OVO can sometimes get the meters to start communicating in as little as two weeks. Itā€™s usually around this point that the tariff data should get downloaded.

However, the good news is that there is a fairly easy fix for this one, but youā€™ll need to ask the Support Team to help you out with it. Live Chat tends to be the fastest way, but you can also do this one by phone if you prefer. What youā€™ll want to do is ask them to run the SMETS CommandĀ Update Tariff ConfigurationĀ with the correct tariff rates for your account. This should do the trick if the command works. Sometimes you can get lucky and itā€™ll go through in just a few minutes, but it may take up to 24 hours to refresh.

If the meters are still being commissioned, thereā€™s a chance that this might not be possible just yet, but you can always ask for a case to be opened for the command to be sent once itā€™s possible.

I hope this helps. Weā€™ll be right here if you get stuck with anything else. :)

It seems that this is a common issue. I've been with OVO for several years, upgraded to Smart meters a few months ago, all went well at first. I accepted that there would be issues for a while until all updates etc had been applied. But I am also now in the position that my meter readings, both gas and electricity are being sent to OVO no problem. My meter readings given and taken on my bill are accurate. But my IHD no longer shows Electricity. It started when I checked one morning to find that my Electricity reading had stalled. It didn't change all day. I power recycled the IHD and then no electricity reading or communication with the Electricity meter at all, gas readings and meter show on the IHD fine. Iā€™ve checked all the meter ledā€™s. all good. IHD shows good comms. Basically, the system is crap and I just as well bin the IHD as it is completely useless. How can I monitor my Electricity? I cant. OVO. You need to sort this out.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear that your In-Home Display isnā€™t currently displaying your electricity smart meter usage data, @Keith.AĀ - thatā€™s really frustrating, particularly as your initial re-booting attempts havenā€™t resolved the issue.Ā 

Ā 

If you havenā€™t already weā€™d recommend contacting our Support Team to report this issue - the quickest way to reach them is via our Online chat which you can find here. They are able to check the IHD is correctly paired to your meters and carry out further troubleshooting in order to get things back on track.

Ā 

In the meantime, itā€™s worth checking the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download forĀ AndroidĀ orĀ iOS) which is another great place to check the usage information being received from your smart meters.

Ā 

Hope this helps get things sorted - but do pop back and let us know how you get on. Weā€™re always happy to help here where we can.Ā Ā :thumbsup:

Jess_OVO,

Thanks for that. Yes, I have checked the usage pages of my online account and all is good there.

My understanding from this forum and others, is that the IHD is not paired to the meters, but to the HUB. Each meter sends its readings to the HUB, which then sends them to both OVO and the IHD.Ā  If the readings are getting to OVO from both the Electricity meter and the Gas meter OK,Ā  also the Gas to the IHD is OK, then also from this forum, it would suggest that the problem is with the software on the HUB or the IHD itself.

To be quite honest, apart from the fact that a working IHD link allows me to check the readings on my meter without opening the boxes in my driveway and checking them myself, I think it is just a gimmick. It certainly doesnā€™t change my usage habits. I will probably just switch it off and unplug it.Ā  Itā€™s just frustrating that this so called energy saving technology just doesnā€™t work as it shouldā€¦...Keith.

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 1

My ihd has suddenly stopped showing electric usage ? What do I have to do to get this showing again please.

the gas information is fine.Ā 

Userlevel 1

Hi for the past five days my ihd isnā€™t displaying electric usage.

it has three bars signal strength and full WiFi strength.

the gas readings are ok though thatā€™s displaying as normal.

any ideas please?.

Userlevel 7

Hi @adam carvellĀ and Welcome to the OVO online community,

Ā 

See youā€™ve encountered an issue that crops up with an In-Home Display from time to time. Weā€™ve put together some DIY trouble-shooting tips on this great guide:
Ā 

Ā 

DIY steps to help with issues with your Home-Area Network (HAN)

Ā 

Checked your online account and no ongoing smart meter communication issues to see? In this case itā€™s more likely to be an issue with the connection between the device itself and the smart meters (also known as the HAN). The In-Home Display connects to your smart meters via the communications hub attached to your electricity meter, so it sometimes helps to move your IHD closer to your electricity meter to help it re-gain connection. Itā€™s best to leave the IHD in this new spot andĀ try re-booting the device after 24 hoursĀ Ā (a classic turning off and on again move), sometimes this simple step will do the trick!

Ā 

Hoping this does the trick but if not weā€™d recommend contacting our Support Team who can carry out further trouble-shooting.

Ā 

Donā€™t forget as long as your smart meters are communicating,Ā you can also check your smart meter usage data on the ā€˜Usageā€™ pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).Ā :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7

Hi @adam carvellĀ - Annoying to hear about the IHD issue.

Ā 

Iā€™ve responded with a few ideas on what to try over on your other related comment.

Ā 

Hope this helpsĀ :thumbsup: