Solved

Why is my Smart meter In Home Display (IHD) not showing any electricity usage data?

Show first post

204 replies

ihd not showing elec or dual fuel graphs etc after it rebooted itself yesterday.

Ā 

account shows reading today from meter

Userlevel 4

Hye @mark17hp,

Ā 

Do you have any error messages on the IHD? Is it just the graphs that arenā€™t showing, or is there anything else not showing correctly?

Ā 

The more info we get, the more weā€™ll be able to figure out what the issue is and get it sorted for you!

Ā 

Thanks,

Ed

hi...no error mssges..

no electric data at all but daily readings from meter uploaded to account

home button all i have is gas use from 8 april so lost previous gas data

Ā  both now and dual fuel buttons nothing happens display shows gas used so far just as it is on home button

calendar button only gas usage back to 9 aprilĀ  also gas usage today last week last month last year

ok button msg ā€˜elec meter initialisedā€™Ā 

Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā  Ā wifi not switched on

Ā 

Userlevel 5

Hey @mark17hp,

I get the impression it may be a signal issue. How far is the IHD from both your gas and electricity meter? Are there any thick walls in between?

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If your gas meter readings are arriving at your IHD, but those from your electricity meter are not,Ā @mark17hp , then all three devices on the wireless Zigbee network are operational.

Nothing on the current iteration of your Smart Meter installation uses WiFi, so you can ignore that.

Have any symptoms changed over this last weekend?

If you look at this other Topic, youā€™ll notice that I had problems getting data to my IHD on Friday (17apr) which mysteriously corrected itself by Sunday morning.

gas stop reading so only time is showingā€¦

today gas is backā€¦

unit working when installed located 1.5 mtrs from gas 2 mtrs from electric metersā€¦

move to kitchen with electric 3 mtrs away and electricĀ  5mtrs away

both situations IHD sitting on counter top at the same level as the meters ;Ā  meters on outside wall only outside wall between meters and ihd

returned ihd to position as installed still not working other than gas reading

it all started when the unit seemed to reboot itself several timesā€¦

assume both meters use same communications channels to send readings to ovo and to ihd so...

please send a replacement ihd unit for comparison?

ā€¦.Ā  otherwise is there another make of ihd unit that will work with my meters theyĀ cannot be that expensive ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The only item connecting to your IHD is the Communications Hub on top of your electricity meter. There is no direct communication link between the IHD and your gas meter.

You canā€™t just replace an IHD with another one. It has to be paired with your Comms Hub. This requires commands to be sent from OVO. The action of pairing has a timeout to prevent the link from remaining open.

The radio frequency used to communicate with your IHD is not the same as that used for OVO to retrieve usage data from your meters. Even if your IHD isnā€™t fully operational, it is still possible for OVO to correctly bill you for usage.

There have been a number of sites reporting errors on the IHD over the last weekend. They appear to have been resolved sometime on Sunday (19th Apr). I reported this here on the Forum.

Badge

My IHD3 has been working correctly most of the time for a couple of months.Ā  Sometimes it loses functionality for a while but seems to fix itself before I do anything about it.Ā  However, for the last two days the Now button and the elec/gas button have been disabled.Ā  the coloured lights dont come on and I cant see current wattage display or any of the electricity readings both current and historical.Ā  In settings meter info it will only show me the gas meter info, hence my theory that the IHD no longer knows about the electricity meter.

Ā 

The meters themselves display as normal (i.e. all lights on except Mesh).

Ā 

I have tried the usual switch off, wait a couple of minutes, switch back on routines, with and without battery connection.Ā  It always comes back in the same state.

Userlevel 4

@JCPWĀ Iā€™ve moved your question over here, as thereā€™s a whole bunch of useful info on the topics above.

Ā 

Iā€™d have a look over all of this info, but if you get nowhere with it, give us a call on 0330 303 5063. The advisers can talk through how we go about un-pairing and re-pairing the IHD, which could hopefully sort this for you.

Ā 

Theyā€™re available 8am - 6pm.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ermā€¦Ā @Ed_OVO I assume you mean

ā€œā€¦ how we go about un-pairing and re-pairing the IHDā€

as opposed to ā€œdisconnecting and reconnecting the metersā€!

I mean, I know how to force a reset on the Communications Hub, but I donā€™t think we want customers snipping the seals and unbolting it themselves, do we?!Ā  :scream:

Userlevel 4

Where was my head at then?? Thank you for spotting this one, @Transparent, Iā€™ve updated that now to avoid any confusion!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

:sunglasses:

Actually Iā€™m not sure thatĀ @JCPW needs to do anything.

If you read what magic is being wrought byĀ @BenS_OVO as reported here, youā€™ll see that he can induce an IHD comms-link to reset itself merely by sending a Read Command to the meters.

Thatā€™s one trick you wonā€™t find in the tech manuals!Ā  :wink:

Userlevel 5

Hi. A few days ago I noticed that my IHD no longer shows the gas standing charge:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

My gas usage is being registered as I just had a bath a short while ago and the usage shows:Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I have seen a few glitches before but not where the standing charge has disappeared?!

Ā 

Since this happened my electricity usage is no longer displayed on the OVO app:

Ā 

Ā 

Gas usage appears to be okay !?

Ā 

Ā 

Has anyone else noticed this problem !?

Userlevel 5

By the way the standing charge for electricityĀ is being registered.

Userlevel 6

Iā€™ve moved your post here, @MikeE, please check out the best answer.Ā 

Thanks

Badge

There do seem to be a number of people with issues concerning no electricity data accessible from the IHD (despite the ususal selection of checks, reboots, bright ideas, etc).Ā  Mine (see above) is now with OVO Support, who are currently baffled but hoping to get back to me in a few days.Ā  When they do I will post the outcome on here in case it is helpful to others.

For what itā€™s worth I donā€™t think` smart meter technology is currently reliable enough to do what was promised without breaking on a regular basis.Ā  Poor Ovo have had to disable the more interesting features where you hook the whole thing up to yor WiFi and extract all the data directly to where you want to analyse it.Ā  Having waited for the second generation of smart meters maybe there are a couple more years to wait before it all works properly.

Userlevel 5

There do seem to be a number of people with issues concerning no electricity data accessible from the IHD (despite the ususal selection of checks, reboots, bright ideas, etc).Ā  Mine (see above) is now with OVO Support, who are currently baffled but hoping to get back to me in a few days.Ā  When they do I will post the outcome on here in case it is helpful to others.

For what itā€™s worth I donā€™t think` smart meter technology is currently reliable enough to do what was promised without breaking on a regular basis.Ā  Poor Ovo have had to disable the more interesting features where you hook the whole thing up to yor WiFi and extract all the data directly to where you want to analyse it.Ā  Having waited for the second generation of smart meters maybe there are a couple more years to wait before it all works properly.

I agree that smart meter technology doesn't seem to be up to the job.

When I was with ScottishPower (before I switched to OVO) I had a SMETS1 setup and I had similar problems and now with OVO on SMETS2 nothing has changed, still problems !

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks for postingĀ @JCPWĀ 

Have you see whatĀ @tony1tf and I have been discussing about this in the past couple of days over on this other Topic?

When you contact Customer Services about issues which we are discussing here on the Forum and that affect several customers, please try to give them the URL of relevant discussions.

What weā€™re experiencing with these various types of ā€œmissing dataā€ faults, is probably due to a couple of different underlying software errors, but slightly mixed in with a few customers who have similar symptoms but for different reasons!

Thatā€™s why weā€™re also trying to discuss a better way to define and report issues to OVO.

Ā 

The original method used by some customers to migrate usage-data out of the system via WiFi couldnā€™t be left intact. It would breach the security shell that surrounds the SMETS2 meter system.

But there are ways to implement a similar data-export at some point in the future. It will necessitate a change of IHD, and some secure procedure to pair that to our existing Communications Hubs.

When it was first installed, the smart meter IHD showed both gas an electricity usage. Over the last few months, only gas usage is being shown.Ā 
Ā 

all lights on the actual meter look ok.Ā 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@parekhdĀ  Ā IĀ have reported the exact same issue,Ā in my case ovo are not receiving meter readings on the electric but they are receiving my gas usage data, so can you confirm the meter reading status for both against your ovo account?

Also my IHD reported kwh & 00p are do not match my actual tariff. Yours looks somewhat similar.

Confirmation of the same fault / symptoms will help to narrow down anyĀ underlyingĀ Ā issues.

Ā 

Tom...

Hi. I donā€™t think this is the same issue. It looks like OVO are receiving regular gas and electricity readings from my meter.Ā 
Ā 

It seems the only issue is with the IHD not showing electricity.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

HiĀ @parekhd and thanks for clarifying this.

Please look at your Communications Hub on top of the SMETS2Ā  Electricity Meter and tell us what pattern of flashes you are seeing on the LED indicators.

There is a Guide to diagnosing SMETS2 Meter issues here, and another one on the IHD here.

Post here again if you get stuck.

Hi. There are green lights flashing on the SW, WAN, HAN and GAS every 5 seconds. No MESH light.Ā 
Ā 

the red led is flashing every 10s.Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That sounds fineĀ @parekhd. We donā€™t need to be concerned with the red light because thatā€™s on the meter itself. Weā€™re checking the WNC Comms Hub because that connects to your IHD.

The slow-flash pattern tells us that all is OK. In particular, thereā€™s no fault on the Home Area Network which the IHD is also connected to.

(Donā€™t worry about MESH. You have an SKU1 and they donā€™t use any mesh network).

Your IHD also seems in good health because it shows the HAN signal at top-left and displays the correct time.

So the most likely reason for there being no electricity reading is a software error in the Comms Hub. It canā€™t be in the electricity meter itself because readings are still reaching OVO.

Go to the Help Centre where it shows the various ways to make contact. Choose one youā€™re happy with and ask Customer Services to send a RESET command to your site. Letā€™s see if that cures the issue.