Solved

I've just had new smart meters installed - Why can't I see this and my usage data reflected on my account?

Show first post

173 replies

Hi all

Had a ‘smart’ meter installed about 3 weeks ago to try and made things easier

Made about 5 top up and one have gone on and I then spend hours on the hours trying to get them added. (been a nightmare)

My question is simply  ‘what more can I do’?

Thanks

Tiggy

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It takes up to six weeks for the commissioning to run.

Try https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com though. It might help you diagnose the issue.

If you’re struggling with PAYG however, it may be more appropriate to switch over to Pay Monthly instead.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. 

What do you mean " it can take 6 weeks for commissioning.... does that mean I can't top up on line ???

Is this normal?

Thanks 

Tiggy 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You should still top-up as normal. The UTRN codes on the receipts will let you force it through manually directly on the Meter/IHD if needed.

Thanks for the reply.

I spent all morning entering it manually  and it still didn't work :(

What more can l do ?

Thanks 

Tiggy 

Userlevel 2

Morning,

Just wondered roughly how long it takes before a replacement meter shows up on my account.  My faulty day time meter was replaced on Monday and I’m hoping my account details will be updated with the new meter number before my next billing period on the 14th.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Up to six weeks for a full update

Userlevel 2

Up to six weeks for a full update

So when I stick my meter readings in on the 14th, I will just insert the THTC meter and leave the other one blank?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nope. If the meter has been replaced recently, please don’t enter any readings until the meter details are fully updated. The Engineers Report will be used to fill in the blanks

Userlevel 6

Hi @Tiggy777 

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been having.

You can contact the Support Team for some help with this. They’ll be able to assist with these, as we don’t have access to accounts on the Forum.

Thanks for the various replies 

I contacted the Support Team and it was a nightmare spent 90 minutes in chat going around and around in circles.  They finally cut me off and closed the chat and l reconnected at number 87 in the queue so after 5 hours of trying to resolve l then gave up for the day :(

Userlevel 6

Hey @Tiggy777 

Sorry to hear this, have you given the Support Team another go this morning?

Userlevel 2

Smart meter now seems to be fully functional and talking to OVO App after 3 weeks.

Userlevel 6

Hey @DuncanL 

Glad to hear that! Any problems at all, feel free to reach out here anytime!🙂

Userlevel 3

I like to know exactly what I am spending so that I stay within budget so back in the summer I tried to get my gas metre fitted. I finally got it fitted on the 3rd Nov. Boy first bill was 3x higher than the month before, I knew it was wrong because until the metre was fitted I was sending in readings 2x a month. I have been scared to put the heating on as six weeks later my new metre is still not recorded on my account so it wont accept the new reading format when I send the numbers in. I have sent in photos, confirmed the serial number with advisors and still only getting estimated bill. The electric metre started recording within 24 hours. How long did you wait before your gas metre started COS IM FREEZING 🙁

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Sally123 ,

It can take up to six weeks for meters to fully commission. If you DON’T see it on your account and sending readings at all that time, please let the Support Team know.

Or try https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com . This tool can diagnose most issues and send reports directly to the team responsible for them.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Boy first bill was 3x higher than the month before, 

We’ve seen a few cases where gas consumption (and consequently the gas bill) seems to be three times what was expected. It turned out that although the meter was recording in metric units (m³), OVO thought the figures it was getting were in Imperial units, so each unit was 100 cubic feet (cu.ft, ft³). This converts to a number of kWh about three times too big (actually 2.83 times). 

Please check your latest bill carefully: can you see the conversion from meter units to kWh? If not, give us the figures here (opening and closing meter readings and no. of kWh) so we can check whether this is what has happened in your case.  

This may help: Gas meter readings and bill calculation - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk) 

Userlevel 3

Believe me I got onto support as soon as the bill  came in, hence the photo’s and serial number checks.I hope your conversion  theory works.  Luckily I sent in a reading in on the day they changed the metre

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just thinking about this @Sally123 , you can keep check on your gas usage by keeping a note of the meter readings until it all gets sorted. 
Not that convenient I know but a short term solution 

Userlevel 3

Thanks for that but I have  prob, a disability that makes it really difficult to get down to the new meter. Ill just have to keep hassling them!!!!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge

Sally, you say you have received a bill. It would help us to work out what’s going on if you could post a photo or screenshot of it (after removing any sensitive details, if you wish). If you can see it online, that’s probably the easiest way to capture an image of it. 

If there has just been a silly mistake in generating the bill, there’s no need to be fearful of using gas. Just changing the meter won’t have had any effect on how much gas you’re being charged for, so it really sounds like an easily-remedied billing error.  

Hi, 

My electricity smart meter - SGM1411-B - isn’t sending readings to my account. I can’t manually submit my own readings either.  And I can’t join power move because it says “come back when you have a smart meter”. 

I didn’t get any in-home Display for my smart meters.

Also, if I were to switch to prepayment for the smart meters, how do you top them up? I don’t have a card or key. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @kxp ,

Please note that the OVO Forum is currently in Hibernation Mode for Christmas and New Year. The response times for Forum Volunteers such as myself may be slower to respond than usual during this time and our service here may be limited. There will also be limited or no responses from the Forum Moderators during this time and their responses may be delayed. Thanks in advance for your understanding. We’d also like to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Forum Moderators and Volunteers of the OVO Forum.

The first thing I’d try in this situation is https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com . That tool can diagnose and help fix any issues of this type - but it won’t be until after the New Year that someone picks up the report.

As for getting an IHD, you can request one via Live Chat at https://ovoenergy.com/help . As this wouldn’t be an urgent issue, I’d strongly recommend you hold back until mid-January to allow OVO to catch up with any urgent requests that come in over Christmas and to avoid the mad rush that will inevitably build up during the holidays.

If you’re worries about payments, going to Pay As You Go might not be the best solution. Instead, try calling 0800 069 9831 for the Collections Team. They might be able to help you find a better solution.

Hi, I asked about prepayment here as I am currently on pay monthly and was wondering what are the methods of topping up a smart meter? 

Also after clicking on your link, I believe the serial number for the electric meter is incorrect?
Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Np.

For topping up a Smart Meter, you can do it in shops with the barcode from the relevant app (you can request a physical card, but it’s faster to use the barcode in the app for that), through the app itself or online - the website you need depends on which supplier you’re with.