Solved

I've just had new smart meters installed - Why can't I see this and my usage data reflected on my account?

Show first post

173 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve actually seen this issue before. Happened to me a couple of years ago, but not quite with the same symptoms and was not quite the same circumstances.

I’d say that if things don’t commission properly within six weeks, OVO has a few tricks they can try to force-commission things properly. They definitely learnt a few things from my unique case two years ago!

Ruddy ‘eck.  I thought I wouldn’t have to do anything once these Smart Meters were installed (15 months of sending weekly manual readings to OVO and still got bills based on their estimated usage).  But now I have no idea what I have and what I must do.  The home display loses connection frequently, needs a power socket (the battery doesn’t last long) and I’ve tried placing it at almost every power socket in my flat.  And hasn’t yet shown gas usage. And what about readings?  When will I see the Smart Meter Readings in my online account?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Depending on when you had the smart meters fitted @MAHN20 it might take a few weeks (can be 8) before they ‘sync’ to the network. 
The in home display does need to be close to get its connection established as well

Thanks!  The in home display isn’t all that informative so I’m not too bothered but I am concerned about meter readings if the smart meters take several weeks to ‘sync’.  Do I need to send manual readings in the meantime or will OVO do their usual over-estimating?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks!  The in home display isn’t all that informative so I’m not too bothered but I am concerned about meter readings if the smart meters take several weeks to ‘sync’.  Do I need to send manual readings in the meantime or will OVO do their usual over-estimating?

You should be able to send manual readings .. that will help avoid any unwanted estimates 

Thanks again.  So now I need to learn how to get manual readings?  Seems less straightforward than the old kind?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks again.  So now I need to learn how to get manual readings?  Seems less straightforward than the old kind?

Depending on the meters, generally just press a button to wake the display. On electric, it often cycles around tariff, standing charge etc but look for rate 01 or similar

Ok, much appreciate your time here Hitchhiker fan.  I will google how to read the gas meter too.  Sigh.  I thought all my problems with OVO readings were over...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Lol - call on ‘Deep Thought’ to calculate for you 

There are a few guides on the forum if you want to check .. like this

You’re a star!

Sigh.  If only that web link was to a meter that looks anything like the meter I have.  I cannot figure it out. Lots of lights flashing, including one saying “gas”.  A and B buttons but none seem to offer what would look like a meter reading.  I am soooooo regretting this move.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you post a picture there are a few here who might be able to help

This is an unforgiveable nightmare.  I detest OVO even more now than I did before.  But will post picture….sigh...going downstairs *edit* now.

I may have figured it out, after googling intensively.  Sorry for the tantrum.  

Userlevel 2
Badge

I hope im not jumping the gun….

I had a smart meter fitted Tue morning.   Its now Thur PM and nothing has updated on my portal, no new readings at all.   Should. wait a little longer for it too settle?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @TD12345 

Could take up to  6 weeks once the meter is installed. Hopefully you will start to see something quicker. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes @TD12345 there’s quite a synchronisation period unfortunately but it should be fine one all settled down. You can still monitor readings if you feel the need in the meantime but the remote links will certainly give you more info. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

ok thank you.  will give it some more time and take manual readings if necessary.

Userlevel 7
Badge

I had a smart meter fitted Tue morning.   

Did the engineer leave you an In-Home Display (and show you how to use it)? Are you seeing anything on the IHD, if so?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes the guy left me an inhome display - all works perfectly.    

so, my portal that i used to log onto to input the monthly readings and see my invoices - will this not now ever be updated? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the guy left me an inhome display - all works perfectly.    

so, my portal that i used to log onto to input the monthly readings and see my invoices - will this not now ever be updated? 

Yes it will - in fact the display being connected now is a good sign for the rest of the link being in progress. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Great!   thanks will sit tight and wait for VW’s to be added to the “charge anytime’.list……...😁

Userlevel 7
Badge

- will this not now ever be updated? 

Yes it will -  

@BPLightlog This old pedant can’t help but recall Yes, we have no bananasbecause he reads that as “Yes it will (not now ever be updated understood).” But he understood what you meant nevertheless 😉

Userlevel 2
Badge

I spoke too soon,

A week to the day my IDH dropped out.   And i logged onto my portal and OVO had updated it showing my smart meter asking for a reading.   i have waited 24 hours and northing. is there a quick way of testing my side?   I know ovo are in my area this week , is it worth me trying to get someone back?