Solved

I've just had new smart meters installed - Why can't I see this and my usage data reflected on my account?

Show first post

173 replies

Userlevel 4

I know it can take a while for a meter to register in the account but local connection over HAN should be immediate shouldn't it? It was last time anyway.

Yes, the local connection should be fairly quick. I think ivie say within 48 hrs

Starting to look like I may have had a faulty meter installed then I guess. Been without smart readings now since the beginning of June one way or another. Even if we ignore the HAN issue which was barely registering when it WAS working, it still strikes me as odd that since all Comms go via the electric meter that the gas registered on the DCC and started supplying readings within 2 days but now we're on day 5 and still nothing from the electric. I'd honestly have thought the electric would register before the gas 🤷🤷

Userlevel 4

Right. We have an update. After an almost 3 hour - yes, you read that right - chat with support today it transpired that the electric meter had not been registered with OVO even though it was connected to the DCC it seems. As of around 10pm today (Monday 31st) the electric meter is now fully connected to OVO and sending readings.

However, at the moment the IHD is still refusing to connect. Is there anything I need to do kick start it? It seems like it connected at first then, because the meter wasn't registered at OVO, something must have triggered an deauthorisation of the IHD. I'm assuming to prevent unauthorised access to the data. 🤷🤷

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Are both IHD’s disconnected still? 
It may well be that your scenario is correct and they both need an update 

Userlevel 4

Yeah, neither meter is connecting. I don't think they need an update since they were connecting to the meters before it all went wrong with the registration. My guess now is they're no longer "associated" with the meters so probably need fully resetting (Ivie) or reconnecting by support (supplied one)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I was meaning some intervention but sounds like you’re on to it. 
Fingers crossed 🤞🏼 

Userlevel 4

Well, after another hour on to chat I'm no better off. First of all they tried to tell me it may be a faulty IHD so they'll put me on the 6 month wait for a new one. That message changed once I pointed out I have an Ivie that lost connection at exactly the same time as the Chameleon, and the chances of two IHDs going faulty simultaneously are not high.

Now apparently I have to wait at least 6 weeks until they'll do anything since it can take that long. Seems odd an IHD connection would take 6 weeks. I'm starting to get a feeling that the comm unit is faulty. As I said somewhere above, the signal in the house was always weak from the day one, barely getting two lines of signal strength on either IHD, with the IHD3 dropping off and reconnecting every few hours. And now it's gone completely. Even though the unit is showing all is normal with the HAN I can't shake the feeling that the local network isn't broadcasting any more, just receiving from the gas meter.

Smart meters? And I thought smart motorways were bad 🙄🙄

Userlevel 7

Hey @GrumpyTrucker,

I’m sorry to hear this,

My advice would be if you’re unhappy with the timeframe given by our Support Team there is always the option to raise a complaint, this may speed things up.

In the meantime if your meters are communicating you can view your usage online:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

What about the ivie bud ? When I was using mine, they did get it to reconnect within 24 hrs once I get in touch with their support team. That might also double check the local connectivity 

Userlevel 4

Hey @GrumpyTrucker,

I’m sorry to hear this,

My advice would be if you’re unhappy with the timeframe given by our Support Team there is always the option to raise a complaint, this may speed things up.

In the meantime if your meters are communicating you can view your usage online:

Just seems a big faff to get sorted. The S1 meters were up and running in 48 hours with the IHD showing current data after an hour. I just find it weird that as far as the IHD is concerned it's like the HAN doesn't exist and I only have a gas meter. And for both the Chameleon and Ivie to lose connection at exactly the same moment just rings odd to me.

Userlevel 4

What about the ivie bud ? When I was using mine, they did get it to reconnect within 24 hrs once I get in touch with their support team. That might also double check the local connectivity 

Ivie is unknown at the minute. I'm waiting on support to get back to me to tell me if I should try another full reset. Restarting hasn't fixed it, so we'll have to see.

Now, after your advice to get one, i am i still having trouble, i cant even get my repeater reader to conect after 6 days  then finding out it was not set up to send econ 7 readings!  I have been  spending most of the mornings onto ovo and being told wait 24hrs and it will work! I have now hurt myself trying to get readings from my meter as it is harder to read than the old one, 

So my question is has anyone else had this problem? This is not what they show when advertising these , and as i have an ongoing dispute since last april 2022! I still have no way of proof!

Userlevel 4

I'm at the point of giving up. Gas meter was sending smart readings to OVO for 3 days, and the electric meter started sending readings (including historical from the date it was installed) on Monday. Now, neither meter is actually sending anything to my account. The electric readings are estimated and the gas readings just stop dead on 30th July. Think I'll just wait the 6 weeks, not bother sending any readings unless they grossly overestimate, then get them out to fix this mess.

I have a feeling that even if the readings issue is connected to them not being fully commissioned yet, the IHD not even finding the HAN is another issue. I'd have thought it would at least connect then display no information, not just sit there with only a gas symbol telling me "connection lost". It's a local area network for crying out loud. The fact it was always a weak signal anywhere in the house, and almost non-existent in the places where it's actually worthwhile putting the IHD, pushes me towards a comm hub issue. But time will tell.

Userlevel 4

@BPLightlog Re the Ivie. They told me to do a full reset again, they'd done something at their end to uncouple it and it was as new again. Done that and it's now stuck at "joining smart meter network" and not getting any further. I now genuinely believe the meters aren't broadcasting the HAN. But it seems they don't want to do anything about it. Shame there's no way to check if there's a HAN being broadcast but it's obviously a hidden SSID I guess.

Supplied IHD still won't connect either. Meters showing the right serial numbers on my account but no readings going in. Heck, they're not even estimating my gas readings. Can't send manual ones cos the account says "your meters are sending us readings". Gonna be a cheap few months for energy then.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@BPLightlog Re the Ivie. They told me to do a full reset again, they'd done something at their end to uncouple it and it was as new again. Done that and it's now stuck at "joining smart meter network" and not getting any further. I now genuinely believe the meters aren't broadcasting the HAN. But it seems they don't want to do anything about it. Shame there's no way to check if there's a HAN being broadcast but it's obviously a hidden SSID I guess.

It’s not standard Wi-Fi so you can’t see the signal, except via the IHD and meter itself

Supplied IHD still won't connect either. Meters showing the right serial numbers on my account but no readings going in. Heck, they're not even estimating my gas readings. Can't send manual ones cos the account says "your meters are sending us readings". Gonna be a cheap few months for energy then.

Presumably you’ve checked for any auto readings on your account. 

Userlevel 4

@BPLightlog I have. Both show smart readings up to 30th July then nothing since. The electric has some estimated readings since but the gas doesn't (as per pics)

Yeah, I get that with the HAN WiFi. Just a shame there's nothing that can at least check for the signal to save trying (and it's very trying) to book an engineer appointment with no information.

I've done as suggested in the previous page now and raised a complaint. Can't hurt I guess.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Mine do drop out for a day or two sometimes. Is it the Aclara meter they’ve installed? If so, there should be a HAN signal level displayed on the meter 

The manual for the 1400 series is here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2066820/Aclara-Sgm1400-Series.html?page=20#manual

Userlevel 6

Hey @Turnip 

Sorry to hear this.

The smart meter can take up to 6 weeks from the exchange date before it's set up properly and communicating with us in the way it should, so we’d advise you sit tight until this time has passed and it should be set up correctly on the online account before those 6 weeks are up.

You’ll only need to read the meter once a month at the most just to keep your bills as accurate as possible while we wait for the smart meters to communicate properly. You may be eligible for our Priority Services Register, which would open up the opportunity to have a meter reader come regularly to read the meter for free. You can fill out the online form here, and get in touch with the Support Team to arrange the reading appointments.

Userlevel 4

Mine do drop out for a day or two sometimes. Is it the Aclara meter they’ve installed? If so, there should be a HAN signal level displayed on the meter 

The manual for the 1400 series is here https://www.manualslib.com/manual/2066820/Aclara-Sgm1400-Series.html?page=20#manual

It's showing a full strength HAN signal weirdly but absolutely nothing will connect. Not the Ivie not the supplied Chameleon (still grumpy it's a 3 generation old one but hey ho). The fact that both connected for about 48-72 hours then dropped off simultaneously still strikes me as odd and suspicious. And again, in the house the signal on the IHDs was barely 30-40% going off their indicators. The old S1 had 100% on the IHD even in the kitchen at the other end of the house.

Something is wrong somewhere, it's just what and where 🤷🤷

Userlevel 3
Badge

I went on supply with OVO (from Shell) on 13th of April.  Meter worked fine with Shell since it was installed in December.  Since 13th April I have ONLY TWO DAYS worth of readings bizarrely the 16th, 17th and about 1h worth of readings on the 18th May.  nothing before nothing since! Loop has been working fine since December, getting somewhat cheesed off about this now have done 3 chats and the issue still isn’t resolved, grrrrrrrr

Userlevel 2

I had a Smart Meter installed several days ago. How long does it take for the readings to show up on OVO App.  The app is still telling me I need to send meter readings every month and the historic meter readings do not show the final reading of old meter (should I submit this on app ??)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @DuncanL ,

It can take up to five working days before the engineers report is processed - the final reading from the old meter will be uploaded from that just before the meters get swapped on the account.

If it’s been more than that, let Support know! https://ovoenergy.com/help 

Userlevel 2

Thanks for quick reply.  It's only been a couple of days so I will wait to see what happens.  

Userlevel 7

Hey @DuncanL,

Brilliant news on your new smart meter!

The following topic may be helpful to you:

If your meters have just been fitted you may not see this reflected on your online account straight away, we usually advise it can take up to 6 weeks from the date the meters were replaced. This is due to the fact that we need to confirm the final meter readings from your old meters before we can amend the details and start billing you on the readings received automatically from your sparkling new smart meters. You might notice a pause to your usual monthly billing during this time too.

You’ll now be able to make use of our Energy Tracker and Power Move!

Userlevel 2

Seems a bit strange.  The installation engineer notes the final meeting reading of old meter but the information takes six weeks to get to OVO !  I could tell them the final reading today via the App if things are that slow.

Userlevel 7

Hey @DuncanL,

It’s a maximum timeframe of 6 weeks, some customers will see usage on the online account right away.

We wait for the engineering report, we then need to update our billing system with the new meter details and final bill the account to the removal meter reading. We also need to update the national database of the meter exchange so that they have the new details on file. So the whole process requires the use and co-operation of third parties.