Solved

I've just had new smart meters installed - Why can't I see this and my usage data reflected on my account?

Show first post

173 replies

Ok it’s good to know it’s possible to top up on app/website with OVO.

Regarding the incorrect serial number, I spoke to Ovo support many times, and sent them images of my meters, and no one pointed it out. They told me the meters were sending them the readings and they just weren’t on my account, that’s strange. No one sent me that link either to get it sorted for the past week that I've been contacting them. Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge

This isn’t too unusual. Your meter is supposed to send readings daily to DCC, which is where OVO get them from. It also sends usage data every half-hour, but your OVO account has to be set up properly to receive these. That’s what the Power Move schemes depend on, not the meter readings. It’s the readings that are used for billing. So the problem could be in any one of three spots: the meter itself, DCC or OVO. It’s usually the last. 

Is this a new problem (readings were getting through before, but they stopped)? Or is it a new meter that has never sent readings to OVO?

Hi, 
it’s a new meter, and it hasn’t been sending readings at all. Gas readings were wrong too but just recently updated, electricity still hasn’t, and I guess it’s because they have the wrong serial number linked. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

OK, thanks. It’s not unusual for it to take a few days for readings to start to come through reliably, but having the wrong MSN recorded sounds like a good reason. When the new meter was installed, the engineer should have left a card beside it showing the MSNs for both old and new meters, together with their readings. The MSN is also on the meter itself. Is the MSN on the card the same as that on the meter? 

This is the second case in a couple of days where we’ve been told about information submitted by an installation engineer being wrongly recorded at the OVO end. I would have thought it’s all done digitally, but I suppose it’s possible that the info gets garbled on its way. I suspect you’ll have to wait until not-so-early January now to get hold of someone to help with that. Make sure to have photos of both the meter and the installer’s card ready when you contact Support.  

If you don’t manage to join Power Move until sometime in January, you can still earn a pro-rata reward for the days after you were enrolled, so long as there are at least 14 working days in the month with data.

Happy Christmas🎄!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @kxp what date did you have the meters installed?

Hi, they were both installed around end of november, and since my electric meter serial number is wrong and their only answer is to wait 6 weeks, I’m missing out on the cashback scheme that started in december. Even third party apps are missing the electricity usage. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi, they were both installed around end of november, and since my electric meter serial number is wrong and their only answer is to wait 6 weeks, I’m missing out on the cashback scheme that started in december. Even third party apps are missing the electricity usage. 

@kxp

It can take 6 weeks for readings to appear anyway across all suppliers even without the serial number issue or the bank holidays. So i am not surprised you can't yet see anything on the 3rd party apps.

It is a shame OVO didn't make this clear to you when the meters were installed and when you contacted them.

If you find you are getting no where you could try putting in an an official complaint.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Any sign of readings or the serial number being corrected yet?

You could also post a review on Trustpilot which sometimes prompts action 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I like to know exactly what I am spending so that I stay within budget so back in the summer I tried to get my gas metre fitted. I finally got it fitted on the 3rd Nov. Boy first bill was 3x higher than the month before, I knew it was wrong because until the metre was fitted I was sending in readings 2x a month. I have been scared to put the heating on as six weeks later my new metre is still not recorded on my account so it wont accept the new reading format when I send the numbers in. I have sent in photos, confirmed the serial number with advisors and still only getting estimated bill. The electric metre started recording within 24 hours. How long did you wait before your gas metre started COS IM FREEZING 🙁

Did you get sorted in the end @Sally123 ?

Userlevel 3

Yes thank you a couple more on line chats and emails and it was sorted just before Christmas. 

It can take 6 weeks for readings to appear anyway across all suppliers even without the serial number issue or the bank holidays. So i am not surprised you can't yet see anything on the 3rd party apps.

It is a shame OVO didn't make this clear to you when the meters were installed and when you contacted them.

If you find you are getting no where you could try putting in an an official complaint.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Any sign of readings or the serial number being corrected yet?

You could also post a review on Trustpilot which sometimes prompts action 

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Unfortunately it’s now been 6 weeks and they are just saying they have the case open for the incorrect serial number and I have to keep waiting. I received my bill which was based on estimated usage for electricity as well, which seems higher than actual usage. And I still won’t be able to join power move until they connect my meter by simply updating the serial number on my account. Customer support on chat and phone and email say they don’t know how long it will take. 

Had my new SMET2 meters fitted last week with a new Ihd3 but it doesn't show balances just usage, a quick search suggests it's not in PAYG mode, can anyone help me correct this and put it in PAYG mode? there is no settings in the menu to allow this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @GiantDaz ,

It takes up to six weeks for newly installed meters to fully commission. Your IHD will switch to PAYG Mode automatically along with the meters if that’s what you’re on.

Userlevel 7

Hey @GiantDaz,

Great to hear about your new smart meter installation! 

Blastoise has already given some helpful advice here, I just wanted to add the following topics which may be helpful to you:

Hi,

I've just had to have my smart meter replaced because the old one stopped working.

I can see that the new meter number is registered on my account, but it’s still (after about 2 weeks) showing as “Your electricity smart meter hasn't sent us any readings lately. “, so I’m having to update this manually.

When should I expect the automatic updates to be recognised by the billing system?

I’ve checked the meter to see if the little green LED for this function is operating, and it is.  I am electric only so the gas LED doesn't blink.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @tim123 ,

It can take up to six weeks for everything to fully commission - try giving it a bit more time especially after one Smart Meter is swapped for another.

If it still doesn’t work after that, https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com has your back.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Did you get an In House Display (IHD) with the new meter? If so, what type (a photo would help)? Is it showing anything?

If data are getting to the IHD, then the next check is whether they’re getting to the DCC. That’s easy to establish if you have an IHD.

If they’re getting to the DCC, the bottleneck is at OVO’s end.

yes, I have a new IHD (though I have to walk down the corridor for it to sync with my meter).  It’s an IHD6.  (The one with the laughably short battery life, even when it’s turned off.)

and when it is synced it tells me the current reading (that’s the number that I use to enter manually on the web page, as I’m disinclined to go down to the car park and unlock the meter cupboard to check there.)

I have no idea how to tell if readings are getting to the DCC.

thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge

OK. The IHD has a unique identifier - a GUID - that isn’t published anywhere, so it can be used to tie you exclusively to the usage data that your meter is or isn’t sending to DCC. There are several companies that are able to access the data that DCC hold for their own purposes, and some of them make it possible for energy consumers to access their own data. I use n3rgy.com, part of SMS, the smart meter people. If n3rgy can access your usage data, so can OVO. Have a look - it’s pretty straightforward, once you’ve told the site I’m a consumer. You can then download whatever usage data DCC has for you.

That was usage data. Meter readings are a slightly different kettle of fish. I’m not quite sure how that works, but I think OVO poll your meter direct on a pre-determined schedule, which is either daily or monthly. At the moment, there’s no way of finding out which schedule you’re on without contacting Support and asking them. If you do this, I’d suggest that if it isn’t already, that you ask them to change it to half-hourly. There is some evidence to suggest that it’s automatically - and inexplicably - set to monthly after a meter exchange. This will prompt OVO to poll for both usage data and meter readings every morning, so you might see something sooner rather than later.

OK

I’m seeing no data downloaded just the headings, except for a single figure for standing charge - which matches the one that the IHD tells me, but is not the correct amount as per my contract (yes I know that the correct one will be used for billing)

As it’s not been in across a month end yet, I think I need to wait to see what happens at the end of the month to see if I am on these monthly reading, before following this up with OVO.

thanks for your help

Userlevel 7
Badge

I think I need to wait to see what happens at the end of the month to see if I am on these monthly reading, before following this up with OVO.

I don’t think there’s any need to wait: Support should be able to see what the schedule is and change it even though other stuff is still going on. 

I cannot see any mention of my economy 7 night tarrif.  Day tarrif shows ok.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @crispy , tariff shown on what? If you mean the IHD (in home display), the different tariffs don’t always show there. Things often take a while to get in sync after first fitting. 
If you mean your meter itself, it depends on the type. If you post a photo, someone might be able to help

Userlevel 6

Hey @crispy 

One of our volunteers has already asked an important question on this about whether you’re talking about the meter itself or the In-Home Display, let us know which one it is so we can help further.

We’ve got some really helpful topics on both so these may also be handy for you:

I think what’s probably happening here regardless of which piece of equipment you’re talking about, is that your meters are still in the commissioning process which can take up to six weeks to fully complete. During that time, things can be unstable and this is expected - especially with all the testing, config downloads and software/firmware updates being pulled down during the commissioning flow.

After the first six weeks, you should find the connection stabilises and becomes more reliable once it’s fully activated.

Hope this helps, let us know if you’ve got any other questions.