Skip to main content

My new SMETS 2 meters were installed in mid September.  Since then, there has been no change in my account page.  The last entry there was that my electricity and gas were to be supplied from 5 May.  

My smart gas meter does not appear to be sending any data, I’m only getting a feed from the electricity meter.

I would like an idea of my usage, given the state of the fuel industry at the moment, I would at least like to have an idea if I will be in for some nasty surprises downstream.

Hey there @Visoflex !

Thanks for the question, this does sound a little strange and I would have expected your gas meter to have started sending in readings by now. Do you have an In-Home Display handy by any chance, and if so does it show any gas usage data? That might help me to figure out whether the gas meter is communicating at all.

If you could snap a few photos of your meters and IHD and pop them in your next reply as well, that would be smashing. I can use these to figure out what you’ve got, which helps to make sure I’m giving the right advice. If you could also fill out your profile for me, that would be great.

Thanks!

There is no gas data at all - hence the query.  I will insert the pictures but as they’re quite large, they’ll have to go in separate replies due to the upload limit.

Installation details.

Electricity meter - Anclara SGM 1411-B
Gas meter - Uniflo G4SZV-2
IHD - Chameleon Technologies s/w v2.2

Thanks, that’s perfect!

Based on these photos, it almost seems as if the gas meter isn’t connected to anything at all. If it was, your IHD should show it on the home screen. Let’s try a couple of diagnostics here, you’ll be able to use all of the information posted in this thread to help you fill out a Smart Meter Health Check later if you need to contact the Support Team.

If you look at the Comms Hub above the electric meter, you should see five lights that flash/pulse every so often. Please could you tell me which lights pulse and how often they do so. If everything is working as intended, you should be seeing the SW, WAN, HAN and GAS lights pulse once every five seconds.

If you could also wake up the gas meter by pressing any of the buttons and take a photo of the display while it’s lit up (ideally showing everything clearly), that will be really helpful as well. Please include that in your next reply.

Once I have these, I’ll be able to recommend the next steps.

Updated on 13/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Great to see you’ve already met our community volunteer and smart meter trouble-shooter, @Blastoise186.

Thanks for the question, this does sound a little strange and I would have expected your gas meter to have started sending in readings by now.

Just wanted to step in here just to clarify this point. As you mentioned your smart meters were installed in mid-September we’d generally advise that it can take up to 6 weeks from the install date for the meter details to be updated and your usage data to be populated both on your In-Home Display and on the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

There’s more info on this related topic, although I’m sure @Blastoise186  will be able to offer a slightly more technical explanation if you’re still noticing the same communication difficulties in a few weeks time.

Do keep us updated as we’re always happy to help and offer advice here where we can. :slight_smile:

SW, WAN, HAN and GAS lights on the electricity meter are flashing at 5 second intervals.  Picture of gas meter below.

Perfecto!

Yup, everything looks good to me. Based on the lights, that tells me that the Comms Hub itself is healthy, there’s a healthy WAN connection to DCC (and therefore OVO), the Home Area Network is functioning normally and a gas meter has been detected and is communicating as expected.

As for the gas meter itself, the valve is definitely open as it should be, there’s a strong HAN signal between the gas meter and Comms Hub and no faults have been detected. So my diagnosis is actually pretty good.

I think it’s most likely just a case of your gas meter still being in the commissioning process and it should complete in the next couple of weeks. Once that’s done, it’ll hopefully start reporting usage data to your IHD and sending readings back to OVO. If it doesn’t submit them on your preferred schedule, feel free to let the Support Team know and they’ll get that changed for you.

It looks like you’ve also got the latest hardware revision too. So the Auto-Connect feature should continue trying to commission the gas meter every 55 minutes either until it successfully commissions or triggers a three month timeout.

And I think that’s probably saved you a call too! :D

OK Many thanks for your help.

8 weeks since installation.  No change discernible.

I’m so sorry we missed this latest update, @Visoflex.

As it’s now been over the usual 6 week timeframe when we’d expect your smart meter installation to be properly up and running, something does seem amiss. I’d recommend flagging this one to the Support Team who may advise you to carry out a full smart meter health check to help diagnose the issue.

Let us know how you get on with this - We’re always happy to offer smart meter advice here where we can. :slight_smile:

i have just had smart metres fitted when on my account i noticed the reading was 27714 units more than it should be then noticed that its the wrong metre number ovo has used been on chat as usual no joy they want pictures sent why should it always be the customer who has to prove everything the fitter must have taken about 40 pictures  how can it be so wrong and nobody wants to fix the mistake

I believe it’s done this was as it’s the fastest way for OVO to get the information they need. If you rely on the engineers report, you could be waiting a long time.

yes but its not the first time this sort of thing has happened and people getting huge bills  and rises in direct debits if your not on the ball someone at ovo must be able to see that my account has two different metre numbers on the same accout

They probably can, but OVO can’t physically see which meter is actually installed right now which is why they need photos of the current one to help figure it out.

that is the problem what about the older people who can not send pictures of metres i think ovo is getting too much wrong too often and nobody takes responsibility for mistakes

There are alternative options available for those cases, including engineer visits if needs be. However, the fastest option for anyone able to do, is to send the photos in yourself.

If you’re still not happy, your only option is https://ovoenergy.com/feedback .

sorry still can not agree its an ovo mistake they should fix it i should not have to chase them up

Hey @taxijim33,

Sorry about the issues you’re having.

You could raise a complaint and as the resolution request someone to come and take a photo of the meter. This is a job we can offer, we’d usually offer this to customers who don’t have the facilities to take a photo of the meter themselves.

Hope this helps. 

who do i raise a complaint with

As mentioned, it’d be via the options at https://ovoenergy.com/feedback 

Still waiting for anyone at OVO to address my meter problems which were reported 3rd October.

Customer service seems to be very haphazard in terms of any recognisable processes and also meaningful communication is in woefully short supply. 

Still very frustrated with the time I have had to spend trying deal with OVO regarding this issue.

Sorry to hear how it’s been going, @Khd888 

If this has been raised with us, I’d recommend hanging tight to give us a chance to get this worked. I am aware of exceptionally large contact volumes over the last few weeks and months. We have one last lever to pull if we’ve failed to deliver but as it stands I’m not sure we can add anything if it’s already been raised to the right team. Can we pick this up over a typically quieter period later in December? You can message me directly if you don’t get an update inbetween... 

Hi,

I had gas and electric smart meters fitted on 03/02/23, which appear to be working ok. How long should it take for my account to be updated with the new meter information as it still shows the old meters on my OVO online account?.

Thanks