Solved

I've just had new smart meters installed - Why can't I see this and my usage data reflected on my account?

Show first post

173 replies

I believe it can take up to 6 weeks before your account is updated. My smart meters took around 2 weeks before my account was updated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, that’s right. Should be done within six to eight weeks. If it’s not done by then, please let Support know.

Took 3 months for me.

Don't waste your time with contacting customer support over this, it is futile.

I spent hours on the phone and in chat support and found the whole experience very frustrating.

If the response from them was merely useless that wouldn't be so bad, they seem to go out of their way to be constructively misleading and inconsistent.

Just put up with the wait and spend your time on something more useful.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It is interesting how different suppliers quote very different timescales and appear to take very different times for activities. 

Octopus for example are very explicit and say 14 days to see meter readings in your account or contact them. 

https://octopus.energy/blog/smart-meter-installation/#:~:text=Once%20you've%20had%20your,these%20can%20slow%20things%20down).

When i contacted them they said that was correct. 

I wonder if OVO do anything differently internally that that means it takes longer. 

I am often curious about the different times quoted for the same basic activity from different suppliers. 

I was lucky, somehow i started seeing readings the next day with OVO as i posted on the forum which regulars were amazed about. 

Userlevel 1

Due to gas leak we  had meter changed  today  gave meter reading  and made mistake instead 0498  I put 4980 and plus  electricity reading as well  I shocked to find that we owe £3130.25 a months bill

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Presumably the engineer also took the reading? Can you update it on your account?

Userlevel 1

I not sure  if took a reading  it was emergency call due to gas smell 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I not sure  if took a reading  it was emergency call due to gas smell 

When a meter is changed, they normally leave a note of the previous meter (often on a yellow label) and the last reading 

Userlevel 1

The call out about 2am morning  let's hope correct gas reading makes big difference  as going call them in morning 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You’ll probably need to get Support to fix this. However, if you did the reading at say 2AM today you have until Midnight tonight to fix it.

Userlevel 1

God knows where call centres  are Communication was very bad  was  told  someone will contact within 48hrs 

Does  anyone have contact details to speak to someone in the  uk 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

God knows where call centres  are Communication was very bad  was  told  someone will contact within 48hrs 

Does  anyone have contact details to speak to someone in the  uk 

@BlueBox OVOs call centres are all based in the UK. So perhaps try again. 

If you use Twitter or Facebook you can send a direct message to OVO. 

They are both official Support channels and OVO staff there can access your accounts. 

Just send a direct message with your name, address, account number and date of birth to pass security along with any messages

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

Userlevel 7

Hey @BlueBox,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

There will be a yellow or white sticker on the meter which will show the removal reading of the old meter and install read of the new meter. You can contact Support on 0330 303 5063.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

I don't understand  why they can't  just take reading and generate a new bill the person I spoke said I  need ring back on 13th March and give new reading never had issues like this with SSE

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I don't understand  why they can't  just take reading and generate a new bill the person I spoke said I  need ring back on 13th March and give new reading never had issues like this with SSE

@BlueBox it does seem strange they couldn't at least take your reading even if there was some technical or process reason why the bill could not be generated. They could have made a note of it and applied it to your account at a later date if that is needed. 

It would have been easier for you and OVO and stopped the need for another phone call or on line chat.

I wonder if the operator got confused somehow between taking a reading for your old and new meter. Just a guess to be honest. No one on the forum can access your account to check. 

Userlevel 1

Does anyone  have email address  for ovo  theses call centre  are not uk based as reception was very  bad again  or must have lot people  for them from Caribbean. 4hrs now getting no where

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Does anyone  have email address  for ovo  theses call centre  are not uk based as reception was very  bad again  or must have lot people  for them from Caribbean. 4hrs now getting no where

@BlueBox

1.  All the OVO call centres are UK based. 

2. There is no general email address anymore. The email address was closed 

3. There is a complaint email address if you want to raise a complaint

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

4. Or use the chat feature or Facebook or Twitter or dare i say letter 

https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy

https://twitter.com/ovoenergy

Userlevel 1

So they send a email requested I send pic off meter plus the yellow sticker  so replied back  few mins later  got email to say this email  is no longer in use 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So they send a email requested I send pic off meter plus the yellow sticker  so replied back  few mins later  got email to say this email  is no longer in use 

Yep the email no longer works. 

One option you could attach it to a direct message on twitter or Facebook for example. 

Include your name, address, account number, date of birth to get passed security. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yep the email no longer works. 

One option you could attach it to a direct message on twitter or Facebook for example. 

Include your name, address, account number, date of birth to get passed security. 

Hi @BlueBox Did you have any luck via Twitter or Facebook? 

Userlevel 1

Yes  they informed the meter team about new meter  hopefully they sort it out few days

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes  they informed the meter team about new meter  hopefully they sort it out few days

Good to hear @BlueBox 

If you could let us know when it is sorted that would be really helpful. Just interesting to see how some cases are sorted out when we suggest things to other customers.

We have to guess what might work best sometimes as we are just customers like you. 

New dual band smets2 meters fitted last Wednesday, gas meter commissioned within minutes, the electric meter wouldn’t and is doing something different ?

I have checked the gas meter and it is showing on the DCC with correct tariff details in the IHD. The electric meter is not showing on the DCC and has incorrect tariff details with no supplier information, the meter is showing kWh/date/time/ tariff 14.53p standing charge 27.4p only.

All lights except mesh flashing every 5 seconds as 

the IHD has the incorrect electricity tariff figures only, IHD is working for both gas and electric.

My previous SMETS 1 system was replaced due to not enrolling (DCC) due to issues with OVO unable to communicate once they went on their Orion system.

I know it can take up to six weeks to settle the account to be running smoothly, but it would seem to be another problem with the electric meter not enrolling onto the DCC ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I know it can take up to six weeks to settle the account to be running smoothly, but it would seem to be another problem with the electric meter not enrolling onto the DCC ?

I think you will need to wait before drawing that conclusion. It simply isn't long enough yet. 

I do hope that that is the case, but I’ve been here before, twice, with the same outcome (unable to communicate with the meter) due to the situation explained above !