Tutorial

OVO SMETS1 Pipit In Home Display (IHD) Guide

• 11 September 2020
  • 46 replies
OVO SMETS1 Pipit In Home Display (IHD) Guide

Show first post

46 replies

Userlevel 2

i have done a smart meter health check on both meters electric is flashing wan light 5 times en pauses also han showing on meter and date time and month correct. on gas meter han solid on gas meter and date and time correct. why does it take 45 days to rectify this problem  i wish now i had never had smart meters installed as i have still got to read gas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi.

45 days is roughly six weeks, which is needed to allow enough time to investigate deeper issues that can’t be resolved quickly - usually because of things like the issue being a technical one, or where a third party is involved for example. The exact list can vary, but it’s quite common for anything that gets escalated to take longer to resolve than things which can be resolved immediately over the phone or live chat. This is true with just about anywhere to be honest.

It sounds like someone is looking into your issue at the moment, but you didn’t mention whether the GAS light on your meter is flashing or not. Please could you show us some photos of your meters - especially with the display on the gas meter lit up and clearly visible. I can’t speed up the fixes, but it can help me to gather some clues.

Userlevel 2

my gas meter is a smet one type it does not have a flashing light just  HAN in solid letters which means it is connected to the network

Userlevel 7

Thanks @richard1966 - it’s really handy to have this info so we know what’s been ruled out!

Are you aware of your SMETS1 smart meter being upgraded to become ‘SMETS1+’, as blastoise mentioned earlier in this thread?

We are aware of some display devices (such as your Pipit) having some issues following this upgrade, in recent weeks. This might be related… My advice isn’t of much help for you in this case, but as you’ve mentioned a time frame for Support, it sounds like you’ve already raised this. So that’s a great step and means you don’t need to do any more leg work. It’s been enough already! 

I have a Pipit IHD. Since my fixed price tariff ended in August, the tariff shown on the IHD has not been updated to the correct tariff (as shown on my account) despite raising this on two if not three occasions on on-line chat. On each occasion, I was told that it would be referred to their technical team. Has anyone else had the same problem or manged to get their’s changed? 

Userlevel 7

Hey @REM,

Sorry to hear of the issues you’re having. 

If it’s already been raised to the technical team, it sounds like it’s with the right people and should hopefully be resolved soon. They should be able to run a ‘tariff configuration’ to update your IHD. 

I can understand this must be frustrating, in the meantime you can see all your usage information on the Online Account

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Has anyone else had the same problem or manged to get their’s changed? 

Yes. My Pipit 500 IHD started showing the wrong rates a few months ago, I think after British Summer Time started. I emailed OVO to try and get it corrected; a few weeks later, the rates were changed remotely by the OVO SMART team again, but they’re still wrong. Since the E7 timings are OK and it’s only the £ amounts that are wrong, I’m not particularly concerned and I haven’t done any more about it. The online account and my monthly bills show the right figures.

Who knows - perhaps it will be corrected automatically next week when we’re back on GMT. 

Userlevel 2

I have just relised that in home monitor display is not showing the correct information.

Electricity costs include daily charge and VAT whilst Gas costs do not.  Anyone have a similar issue?

Userlevel 2

Sorry - PIPIT!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Easy fix. :)

The SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration should re-sync the meters with the correct tariff rates. Let the Support Team know via Live Chat and they’ll fix it for you.

Userlevel 2

Thank you - will contact them tomorrow.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Might want to wait until Tuesday unless it’s urgent. :)

The phones and Live Chat of all suppliers get smashed to pieces on Mondays!

Userlevel 2

So it’s now over three weeks since I posted on here and about five or six weeks since I was told in a the Live Chat team that it had been referred to the technical department. And still the displayed tariff hasn’t been corrected. At least the name of the tariff plan is correct!

If it’s so difficult to do with my IHD perhaps it should be updated?

Userlevel 7

Hey @REM,

I’m sorry to hear this,

You can find out more about IHD replacement’s in this helpful guide:

We have a live billing system so in the meantime you can monitor your usage via your Online Account. 

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 2

Well, a month after contacting OVO via online chat and explaining my situation regarding incorrect tariffs showing on my PIPIT home monitor I still have heard nothing regarding the gas KW cost.  The electricity figure now looks correct, including VAT, however the gas figure is way too low.  How am I supposed to monitor my usage if the KW costs are incorrect?  Yes, I can check online the following day but that defeats the purpose of the home display.  May as well not have one.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

I think I’ve got a solution you can try. Wait until new year and put a request in to run the SMETS Command Update Tariff Configuration. That usually fixes these issues!

My pipit 500 supplied with smart meter seems to be working in every respect except for the screen illumination which isn’t, making it very difficult to read for my ( very) old eyes without magnifying glass and torch

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @mikegdavis ,

Unfortunately, that IHD is almost certainly out of warranty and OVO isn’t liable to replace it for free. They only come with a 12 month warranty and the last Secure Pipit 500 was probably given out by OVO in around 2018-ish so they’d all be out of warranty by now.

Arguably, this fault would also be wear and tear which wouldn’t be covered anyway.

However, I do have options for you.

I am VERY impressed with OVO forum, having not worked for months, ten minutes after posting my question it has come on - albeit intermittently 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I guess I just have a magic touch! :D