Updated on 04/05/21 by Jess_OVO
Your guide to the SMETS1 (S1) Chameleon In Home Display (IHD)
User guides for you...
You can find a PDF user guide here.
How to identify a Chameleon IHD
The Chameleon IHD is a black device with a multi-coloured display.
Those with S2 meters require a different model of Chameleon to those with S1. To determine which Chameleon you have, check the back of the IHD - if there is a power button then the IHD is S2 compatible.
If you think your IHD is not displaying correct usage please check the following:
- Ensure you haven’t accessed the Tutorial as this will display false information (see below for more info).
- Ensure the IHD is near the Electricity meter.
- Check the Wifi symbol on the IHD, if this is flashing or has a line through it then the IHD is out of range or disconnected.
- If the above steps do not help, our Support team can unpair and repair the device, which might fix this connection issue.
Where should the IHD be kept?
The IHD needs to be able to pick up clear signals from both the electricity meter and the Wi-Fi router, so place it within range of both devices - that means within 20 metres (nearly 66 feet) of the electricity meter, and somewhere it can easily pick up the router’s Wi-Fi signal. Occasionally thick walls can interrupt a signal, so we should advise to try not to put the IHD too many rooms away from the Wi-Fi router.
How to use the Chameleon IHD
The IHD is very easy to use. You can access all its functions with the 7 buttons along the bottom of the screen:
See how much energy you’ve used by day, week, month or year
Using the buttons along the foot of the screen:
- Tap the Home button to see how much energy you’ve used so far today
- Use the Calendar button to move the display through ‘so far this week’ and ‘so far this month’
- Use the ‘back’ arrow to scroll back and see how much energy you’ve used each day, week, month or year
- Tap the Utility button to switch the figures on the display between electricity, gas or combined fuels.
How much are you using right now?
Tapping ‘Now’ will show you how much electricity you’re using in real time. This is displayed as kilowatts (kW) and cost per hour. This lets you check if anything’s been left turned on, and work out which appliances use the most energy. The coloured light at the bottom shows whether your current use is low, medium or high.
Setting budgets on your IHD
To take control of your energy use, you can set a target:
- Bring up the menu screen by tapping OK. Select Adjust Settings and then select Set budget by tapping OK.
- Choose the time period you want to set a budget for (daily, weekly or monthly) by tapping the Calendar button. Use the back and forward arrows to change the amount. The IHD will show you how much you used in the previous period to help you set an achievable value. Tap OK to confirm your choices.
- You can set individual budgets for each fuel. Tap the Utility button to switch the figures on the display between electricity and gas.
- When you’re looking at how much energy you’ve used in the past, the light will show you how much you used compared to your budget.
Check your meter readings on your IHD
- Bring up the menu screen by tapping OK. Tap Meter Information.
- Cycle between electricity and gas using the utility button to check your meter readings.
The device has a built in tutorial that can be used during the installation visit and can be subsequently started by you at any time. The tutorial goes through key aspects of the IHD using dummy data and takes three minutes.
The tutorial can be exited by pressing the Home button, or each section skipped through by pressing the right arrow button. It can be accessed through the menu options.
There’s also a really handy video tutorial here on how to use your In-Home Display.