Solved

How do I get an In-Home Display (IHD) for my Smart meter?

• 25 January 2018
  • 97 replies

Why have I not got a home display with my smart meter

Ā 

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 26 June 2020, 15:55

View original

97 replies

Userlevel 5
Why have I not got a home display with my smart meter

Hi @Arty,

I've edited your title slightly so other users that need this information can find it.

If you've not been provided with an IHD, the best thing to do is give us a ring on 0330 303 5063 and we can get one sent out to you. Alternatively you can drop us a message on Facebook or Twitter and we can get it done through there. Be sure to include your account number, full name and DoB.

Hope this helps,
Nancy
We had a smart meter installed almost a month ago. The installer told us there was no more stock of the smart meter gadgets that allow you to monitor your usage but that one would be sent to us within a week. Has anyone experienced the same delay and if so, how long did you have to wait. Have spoken to Ovo but am still none the wiser. Have to admit, the indoor display gadget was the main reason we agreed to have a smart meter installed so feeling a bit miffed by this. Had the installer told us prior to switching I think we would have cancelled. Thank you
Userlevel 5
Hi @BEVVY99 - I've moved your post onto this thread - you should find the info you need above.

Cheers!

Since moving last year i dont have an IHD for my property, How can i arramge getting one please x

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

HiĀ @103059841 and welcome to the Forum.

So let me just check a couple of things:

• Are you an OVOĀ customer? Or have you migrated to OVO from one of the companies they bailed out when they collapsed (Spark Energy, Economy Energy etc)?
  • Which company installed the Smart Meters and when (approximately)?

I can advise a bit more once I have those answers, but please also fill out your Forum Profile because thatā€™s where we look for basic background information.

You should also know that simply having an IHD delivered wonā€™t solve the problem. It has to be paired with the Communications Hub for your property. That requires active conversation between you and an OVO Engineer because there are actions to be taken at both ends of the link. You canā€™t just press buttons at your end!

Userlevel 3

@103059841Ā 

Hi, Iā€™ve moved your question to this topic as it should help answer how you can get a new IHD.

Ā 

However, @TransparentĀ makeā€™s some great points. So, it might be useful to answer his questions for further advice.

Ā 

All the best,

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I am a new ovo customer have an online request to submit meter reading before 28th June as the energy switch was on 23rd June. No IHD was provided at the install. The WAN light is flashing Red. It is SMETS1 secure meter.

I am part of V2G trial with solar PV so I export and import electricity with OVO. On pressing button 9, I get 95kwH imported and about 135 kwH exported as EV has not been used for the last 4-5 days since the install. Also since it has been quite sunny last few days PV have been averaging at 15-20kWh per day.

Any suggestions on how to get IHD delivered and configured for the install?

Userlevel 7

Heads up,Ā @sylm_2000Ā - check out the ā€˜best answerā€™ on this topic for info on how to get an IHD.Ā 

Ā 

Press 9 on the meterā€™s keypad to confirm your meter readings needed for the online accountā€™s opening meter readings. After Imp kWh, and Exp kWh, it will be the reading!

Userlevel 7

Updated on 12/06/24 by Abby_OVO

Ā 

Sorry to hear you didnā€™t receive an In-Home Display when your smart meters were installed, sometimes this can be due to stock issues when the engineer visited.

Ā 

If you make out Support Team aware that youā€™re missing this device (either since an installation or if youā€™ve just moved in) they can get one popped in the post for you as soon as possible. If your meters were installed by another supplier, youā€™d need to check that theyā€™re currently compatible with OVO as weā€™ll need to be in communication with the meters to get the device paired. We can usually communicate with any S2 meters and Secure S1 meters. If youā€™ve got another type ofĀ S1 meter itā€™s worth checking whether the meter has been ā€˜enrolled and adoptedā€™ allowing it to communicate with all suppliers - more in on this here.

Ā 

If you havenā€™t already checked it out thereā€™s also some really great usage data available on yourĀ online accountĀ or OVO app (download forĀ AndroidĀ orĀ iOS) - find out how to access this info on thisĀ great guide. Just one of the great benefits of going smart!

Ā 

We have a great guide made by one of our top volunteers, why not check it out:

Ā 

Ā 

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? -Ā Book today!

Smart meter lost communication with us? Fill out this Online Form.

Interested but not yet an OVO member? -Ā Check out our plans!

Hi,

Ā 

Been on a smart meter for some years now but never got a IHD when they did it.Ā  Didn't think of it at the time but now it would be interesting to get a real time display of usage to see what the big user items are etc. The app is great but it's not real time.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Anyone know how I can get hold of one and if they are actually useful ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You should be able to request an IHD but they are occasionally low on supply. Contact via customer supportĀ https://www.ovoenergy.com/help

Theyā€™re pretty useful to look at energy use as it happens through the day and for previous days

There are also a series of third part apps which are quite useful too

Ā 

Good luck! We were promised an in house display unit in 2021. We are still waitingā€¦ OVO just keep saying they havenā€™t any and donā€™t know when they will get any.Ā 
We were automatically transferred from SSE and just wish we could go back to them as OVO are simply awful to deal with.Ā 

Userlevel 7

Hey @MrE,

Ā 

Sorry to hear this,

Ā 

Iā€™ll get Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages.Ā 

Ā 

Hope this helps.Ā 

So how difficult is to get a home monitor?

From last March until now we've been fobbed of with excuse after excuse as to why we haven't been sent one and now apparently there is a 2 year backlog!!

Customer service is practically useless and you spend more time on hold than talking to someone.

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

Have you tried these options?

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

From last March until now we've been fobbed of with excuse after excuse as to why we haven't been sent one and now apparently there is a 2 year backlog!!

Customer service is practically useless and you spend more time on hold than talking to someone.

Ā 

Hi @IanthejockĀ Did you have your smart meters installed last March and not get an IHD (In Home Display) given to you then?

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like youĀ 

Ā 

HiĀ @IanthejockĀ Did you have your smart meters installed last March and not get an IHD (In Home Display) given to you then?

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like youĀ 

We moved in and the one we had was incompatible. So we've been trying to get a new one since about March last year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unfortunately, itā€™s ultimately down to supply and demand issues. OVO isnā€™t Chameleonā€™s only customer and tons of suppliers use Chameleon IHDs, so thereā€™s only so many of them to go around at any given time. Both Hildebrand and ivie will happily sell you one though if youā€™re interested and theyā€™ll both work fine.

If you want one thatā€™s as close as possible to the stuff OVO gives out, go for the ivie Bud. If you fancy doing more magic tricks with it, then the Hildebrand Glow IHD is the better choice.

I reported my In Home Display as being faulty. Ovo tried to cure the problem there end but had no luck. They ordered me a new on before Christmas & as yet not received a new one (March) Ovo keep saying it's on it's way but still no luck. Anyone else having this problem? Really miss IHD as it's better than the appĀ 

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about this delay in getting your replacement In Home Display sent out.Ā 

Ā 

I must say that I much prefer my web based online account usage charts:Ā https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=monthly

Ā 

This is also worth a look:

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I reported my In Home Display as being faulty. Ovo tried to cure the problem there end but had no luck. They ordered me a new on before Christmas & as yet not received a new one (March) Ovo keep saying it's on it's way but still no luck. Anyone else having this problem? Really miss IHD as it's better than the appĀ 

Hi @Kevan

You could try putting in a complaint, that can sometimes help speed up things.Ā 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

After 8 weeks you can get the Energy Ombudsman involved.Ā 

You can also leave a review on Trustpilot which also sometimes helps

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Thanks so much for your replies, really appreciate it. As of today the app is no longer showing me daily, monthly usage. I've had this b4 as have a lot of customers. But it did right itself after almost a month.Ā  Thanks again for your help.Ā  Kev

They fitted us with 2 x new SM Gas ans Electric in Oct 22 with a new IHD, none of them work and CS team keep asking me to provide readings, so you are not alone!

Ā 

All I can say is good luck.

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7

@KevanĀ your online usage pages should be up and running again, I think you were affected by a temporaryĀ drop out that also affected me and others at the end of last week.Ā 

Ā 

@yetanothernameĀ sorry to hear about this, I assume youā€™ve been asked to do a smart meter health check?

Yes ovo did all the checks but nothing worked so sending a new one. That was Christmas & as of today 15/3/23 heard nothingĀ