Solved

How do I get an In-Home Display (IHD) for my Smart meter?

Show first post

197 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @aviatormjaĀ !

We can try to help figure this out, but we could do with photos of everything in your next reply.

Iā€™ve also got a guide in case it helps.

Ā 

Hi Blastoise,

Ā 

Below is a photo of my IHD not working at all.Ā  Donā€™t really know what else to show as its, not working!Ā šŸ˜Š

Weā€™ve had this circa 3 years minimum now and we just get ā€˜blue screenedā€™ by it.Ā  Restarts, reboots have no effect.Ā  Unplugging for a short time and trying again from scratch have no effect.

Itā€™s just decided to not work.

As stated have tried speaking direct with OVO on seeing that this can be replaced (as its not a accidental break etc) but trying to get the right dept. to talk to you is far more time consuming than my employer will entertain.Ā  On the couple of occasions Iā€™ve tried the chat system, after 10 mins getting the chatbot to understand the question Iā€™m asking, Iā€™ve been told the relevant dept isnā€™t available and to try the phone number.

And so the cycle begins againā€¦ā€¦!

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7

HiĀ @aviatormja,

Ā 

Sorry to see your In-Home Display appears to have gone kaput. As you mention your smart meter communication doesnā€™t appear to be the issue Iā€™m wondering if youā€™ve been making use of the ā€˜Usageā€™ pages you can find on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS). Weā€™ve got a guide to finding your way around these below:
Ā 

Ā 

Did you manage to get in touch with the Support Team to make a request for a replacement device yet? If not it might be worth giving them a call on 0330 303 5063 if youā€™re unable to request this via our webchat.Ā 

Ā 

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeahā€¦Ā Thatā€™s one dead SSE SET. I have one trick you can try.

See if taking the battery out for one hour and then pop it back in helps. I suspect a possibly unfixableĀ firmware brick in this case, but I know Jess wonā€™t mind me making this suggestion (you might get lucky!).

thanks @Blastoise186Ā will give that a blast this evening and see what occurs!Ā  Thanks for the tip.

Ā 

@Jess_OVOĀ looked at all the help tips.Ā  and as per my notes re: customer service chats/phone numbersā€¦...ā€¦.Ā  this is the reason Iā€™m on here looking for help!Ā šŸ˜‰

Ā 

Thanks

Matt.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. Under the hood that IHD is actually an IHDL SmartView and theyā€™re absolutely terrible. I used to have one myself and boy did I managed to crash it waaaaaaayyyy too easily!

The Chameleon IHD6 and IHD7 are far superior. :)

Hi again @Blastoise186Ā and @Jess_OVOĀ 

Finally got time to try the battery removal option - still to no avail.

Jess, please is there any -Ā  other way than throwing away my entire weekend waiting for CS to pick up a phone or answer the chat -Ā that I can request a replacement IHD at all please?

Thank again to both for your help on this.

Userlevel 7

Our Support Team are able to request a replacement device if needed, @aviatormja.

Ā 

You can usually reach the team fairly quickly, find the available contact channels here.

Ā 

Hope this helps.

How do I get a meter that I put on the worktop to see live usage

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Lynne1010Ā ,

I think youā€™re talking about an In-Home Display? If youā€™ve never had one at all, feel free to have a chat with OVOā€™s Support Team and they can pop one in the post for you, The first one is always free and it should arrive within a few weeks at most.

You can also buy one for yourself if you prefer. Thereā€™s either the ivie Bud or the Hildebrand Glow IHD and youā€™re welcome to use either one. :)

Userlevel 7

@Blastoise186Ā may have forgotten to mention one key thing, @Lynne1010Ā - you need to have actual smart meters fitted in your home to have an IHD. Even if theyā€™re from another supplier.Ā 

Ā 

More info and a link to the booking platform here.Ā 

Hi guys. Ā I have a smart meter fitted by a previous supplier. Ā I think it was Eon but may have been NPower. Ā I have been with OVO for over a year now and the existing smart meter sends meter readings to OVO every dayĀ so all good there.

Ā 

I chucked the old providers In House Display away before coming to OVO having read it would only work with that provider. Ā I would like an OVO IHD but cannot see anywhere on the website how I should go about ordering one or ever if that is possible.

Ā 

Lots of information about how to get a new smart meter etc but thatā€™s not what I want. I only want the IHD. Ā I accept there may be compatibilityĀ issues etc but cannot find any advice anywhere.

Ā 

I get good data on my app but would like the IHD to complement this and show the kids what a difference it makes if they save energy !Ā 

Ā 

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

WelcomeĀ @trinitystreet124Ā !

Youā€™re through to Blastoise186, your resident forum volunteer. How may I be of service today? :D

I think you might be able to get one from OVO, but firstly Iā€™ll need to identify your meters as it may not be possible. Could you show us some photos please? Either way, Iā€™ve got options for you that I can definitely recommend!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, having done some digging, I think I know what you might have. Youā€™ve probably got SMETS1 Landis+Gyr meters, so unfortunately OVO wonā€™t easilyĀ  be able to supply you with an IHD.

Not to worry though, Iā€™ve got you covered. For Ā£50 you can pick up an ivie BudĀ or for Ā£70 you can get a Hildebrand Glow IHD. Or both if youā€™d like to! If youā€™re going for the Glow IHD, make sure to select the SMETS1 variant so that you get the right version for your meters. If you go for the ivie Bud, then Chameleon willĀ send you the right variant that should work either way.

Feel free to check out both of them and see which one you fancy. If you get stuck, let me know and I can help you to choose.

Hi thanks for your response. Ā Really appreciate it. Ā I went on to the Ivie Bud site and I was directed to a page where they check compatibility with my smart meter. Ā They couldnā€™t trace my postcode but could find me via the MPAN number on my bill. Ā Their website said the Bud is not (yet) compatible.

Ā 

I tried the other option and that did not seek my postcode just giving lots of techie jargon about system requirements which are miles over my head.

Ā 

with it being Ā£70 I was a bit reluctant to take a chance bearing in mind the issue with the Bud. Ā 
Ā 

do you think I should just take a chance or might there be other options you know about that ?

Ā 

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thatā€™s cool. Hildebrand has a really good policy about compatibility actually. They do a compatibility check as part of the purchase flow. If theyā€™re not happy that the Glow IHD will work, theyā€™ll cancel the order completely and not take any money at all. Thereā€™s basically no risk and if you buy it and canā€™t get it to work at all, theyā€™ll be able to offer a refund if even their efforts fail.

Give the Hildebrand Glow IHD a try. It sometimes works with meters that ivie Bud canā€™t support yet.

hi everyone . Apparently I have a smart meter outside but no inhome smart meter . Any idea how I get one from ovo ?Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @lollipopĀ ,

If youā€™ve NEVER had an In-Home Display from OVO, you are usually eligible for a free one to be sent out in the post. This includes cases where you moved into a new home and the previous customer ran off with the existing IHD. The Support Team can set up a request for you, so please get in touch with them.

If you donā€™t get any luck, let me know as Iā€™ve got other options I can recommend as well if needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

On the OVO Twitter feed today OVO are saying there is a shortage of IHDs so you can be put on a list but they can't currently say when you would receive it.Ā 

thankyou so much xĀ 

I have recently joined OVO from SSE and do not have an in home monitor. OVO tell me they no longer stock the IHMā€™s for my type of meter. Where do I go from here?

I didnā€™t have one with SSEĀ as they could not read my smart meter and my old British Gas IHM which came with the house wouldnā€™t work.Ā 

In view of the need to really control my energy use I would like an in home monitor. Has anyone used one of the universal ones available on line?

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey thereĀ @JeannaĀ !

Welcome to the OVO Forum, Iā€™m one of the forum volunteers who patrols it. :)

Sure thing. You can either use an ivie Bud that you can get from https://ivie.co.ukĀ or a Hildebrand Glow IHD from https://shop.glowmarkt.comĀ . I think youā€™ll need the SMETS1 variant.

These are theĀ onlyĀ IHDs I can recommend at this time. I would strongly recommend against buying any from sites like eBay or Amazon as many of them either have a dubious history or wonā€™t be allowed to be paired.

If youā€™d like more options, Iā€™ve documented lots of them in my guide below. :)

If you get stuck, give us a shout and weā€™ll see what we can do.

I have been waiting since June for a compatible replacement IHD for my Smet 1 Meters. I was told there was a supply issue. Does anyone know when supply will be up and running please?

Userlevel 7

HeyĀ @Community K,

Ā 

Sorry for the issues youā€™ve had.

Ā 

Iā€™ve checked on this for you and the latest update is weā€™re no longer taking requests for SMETS1 In Home Displays (IHD). No further stock of these are being manufactured.

Ā 

Youā€™ll be able to have a IHD once your meters have been enrolled on the DCC. Which means remotely upgraded to second generation.Ā 

Ā 

We have a really great guide about thisĀ topic here:

Ā 

Ā 

For the time being you can see your usage data on the online account and App:

Ā 

Ā 

Hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You might be able to get a new IHD elsewhere.

But your meters must be on DCC first or none of those options will work!