Solved

How do I get an In-Home Display (IHD) for my Smart meter?

Show first post

207 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries,

It may be worth chatting with your landlord about it as well. That IHD will NOT work with any other smart meters beyond the ones it has been paired with, so taking it elsewhere is not helpful since it wonā€™t work. Strictly speaking, itĀ also remains property of the supplier as well and shouldnā€™t really leave the house. If youā€™re able to recover the existing one, Iā€™m pretty sure OVO would appreciate it.

Oh, and it also cannot be counted on the Inventory of the Tenancy Agreement as being landlord property either for the same reason. As a Gifted Item? Maybe, but given that it remains the property of the supplier and is kinda ā€œownedā€ by the property where the paired smart meters were installed, it should really be brought home if it can be located.Ā :wink:

Hi, is it possible to get a new IHD for smart meters that were installed by another supplier.Ā 
Ā 

We have smart meters that were installed for the previous home owner by Scottish Gas (I believe) but when the home owner died the family cleared the house including the IHD. Ā Our bills are rocketing and I canā€™t see why. Ā I have the OVO app but again the usage doesnā€™t make sense (using more while away on holiday than when at home)

Thanks.

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @HazĀ !

Did you mean British Gas or Scottish Power by any chance? Those are the two suppliers that seem to most likely fit the name you mentioned.

As for getting a new IHD though, yep, thatā€™s definitely possible. I guess the previous family may not have realised that the IHD was supposed to remain in the house, though I can understand why they might not have known that given the circumstances.Ā Not to worry, thereā€™s a solution to this problem. OVOā€™s Support Team can help out with these.

If you let the Support Team know that you need a new IHDĀ because you donā€™t have one yet, OVO can arrange for a replacement to be sent out free of charge. Youā€™ll need to get it paired up once itā€™s been delivered and the Support Team will be able to walk you through the process once youā€™re ready. Thereā€™ll also be instructions in the box that will help you out as well.

Depending on what meters you have, it may take a while for OVO to get a new IHD sent out to you, but the Support Team will be happy to try and get that taken care of.

Hopefully youā€™ll be able to find that energy guzzler as well!

If you need a hand with anything else, feel free to stop by anytime. :)

Userlevel 7

Ā 

As for getting a new IHD though, yep, thatā€™s definitely possible. I guess the previous family may not have realised that the IHD was supposed to remain in the house, though I can understand why they might not have known that given the circumstances.Ā Not to worry, thereā€™s a solution to this problem. OVOā€™s Support Team can help out with these.

If you let the Support Team know that you need a new IHDĀ because you donā€™t have one yet, OVO can arrange for a replacement to be sent out free of charge.

Ā 

Some great advice here from our resident smart meter enthusiast, @Blastoise186.

Ā 

I notice from a separate thread that youā€™ve actually got S1 Landis+Gyr meters installed there, @HazĀ - worth clarifying that we would need to be in communication with your meters in order to get an IHD paired up so Iā€™ve made that extra clear on the Best Answer above.Ā 

Ā 

If we canā€™t currently offer you an IHD, all is not lost. Once your meters complete the ā€˜enrolment and adoptionā€™ process and we re-gain communication we can then send out and pair up the device so worth getting back in touch at this point.Ā :ok_hand:

I had two smart meters (electricity and gas) installed by the Ovo engineer on Tuesday 2nd November 2021. The engineer told me that the I HD (In Home Display ) would be sent by post in a few days, but it is now 29th January 2022 and I have heard nothing.

Userlevel 7

Hi @David_Gardiner,

Ā 

Firstly I want to apologise for such a delay to this response. Your comment was incorrectly flagged by our spam filter which meant it wasnā€™tĀ published when you originally posted.

Ā 

Whilst Iā€™m aware there have been recent supply issues with our stock of these devices,Ā Iā€™m hoping youā€™ve since received yourĀ In-Home Display. If not please reach out to our Support Team directly, whoā€™ll be able to check that your device is on the way.

Ā 

Donā€™t forget you can also access the same smart meter usage data via the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS):

Ā 

Ā 

Iā€™ve been trying to get a IHD since moving to OVO many years ago, asking on a regular basis before finally giving top. with the current price hike, Iā€™m evenĀ more concerned to hear OVO is out of stock and may never have any in future. Whatā€™s going on?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @jondohĀ !

I can try to answer this, but Iā€™ll need to see photos of your meters first, if thatā€™s OK. I use these to identify the meters you have so I can give the right advice. Could you pop them in your next reply for me?

Thanks!

Hi

Thanks for the response. Photo attached if it helps?

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, that helps a lot, thanks!

I see youā€™ve got a SMETS1 Secure Liberty 100 meter and this is the reason OVO is unable to provide you a replacement IHD. Unfortunately, stocks of just about all S1 IHDs are pretty much exhausted across all suppliers and what little stocks come in are rapidly wiped out again in the blink of an eye.

At the moment, the only option you can try is to get the SMETS1 variant of the Hildebrand Glow IHDĀ as thatā€™s the only third-party IHD Iā€™ve found thatā€™s S1 compatible and isnā€™t from a dodgy source. Please donā€™t try to purchase an IHD from sites like eBay or Amazon though, as it probably wonā€™t work and might already be paired to someone elseā€™s meters.

Sadly GLOW has only the SMETS 2 inĀ Ā stock, but thanks for a comprehensive response. if only OVO support were as helpfulĀ as youĀ Blastoise186Ā 

Just byĀ way of an update if it helps anyone else, I got in touch with tech support at Secure, (near Southampton) who confirms they donā€™t carry Ā stock, since theyā€™re configured to order for OVO, but can make to order within 12 weeks after receipt of an order.

They also mentioned that OVO replaced supplying the SMETS 1 (Pipit 500) IHD with an app they developed as an alternative. Is this so and is the App still available?

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There used to be an app for that purpose, but it technically no longer exists per se because the method OVO tried to use never worked out. The OVO Energy apps for Android and iOS do show historical usage data, but nothing other than an IHD can show real-time usage. Even the few apps that can, still rely on an IHD to pull data from the meters.

Thanks again for a really quick response. Helpful, but depressing...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. I genuinely wish I had a better answer for you, but the reality is that S1 is just a headache these days when it comes to almost anything IHD related.

Itā€™s possible that Hildebrand might eventually get more stocks in of the S1 Hildebrand Glow, but I honestly have no idea if/when that might happen. In theory, a Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 should work, but only OVO can supply you with one and about 99.9% of OVOā€™s stocks of that model are dedicated to Boost Pay As You Go members who actively rely on an IHD in order to top-up and monitor their remaining meter credit. My understanding is that OVO kinda struggles to keep up with demand for them and thereā€™s hardly any left for OVO members like yourself.

Itā€™s also the only IHD6 variant that works with S1 meters, so itā€™s highly sought after by a bunch of suppliers as well.

However, I can askĀ @Tim_OVOĀ for a status update if that helps? I canā€™t promise youā€™d be able to get a new IHD from OVO, but Tim might be able to check whether itā€™s possible.

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear youā€™re yet to receive a SMETS1 compatible IHD, @jondoh.

Ā 

As @Blastoise186Ā has mentioned weā€™re not able to give out a time frame for when we might be able to send out these devices, due to supply chain issues. Itā€™s still worth checking in with our Support Team who can confirm that youā€™ve been added to the IHD waiting list, so that we can get one sent outĀ as soon as itĀ becomes available.

Ā 

In the meantime, weā€™d recommend checking the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download forĀ Android or iOS) which provide some helpful graphs, breaking down your smart meter usage data into half-hourly, daily, or monthly views depending on the frequency we receive a reading from your smart meter.

Ā 

I have Liberty 100 and Liberty EG4v 10 meters. Both dated 2016. They are both first generation meters. Apparently, they have both been enrolled and adopted.

There has never been an IHD at this address. The engineer had run out when the meters were installed, and it was never chased up with OVO.

I took over the account in January of this year, and have been asking OVO for an IHD since February. I keep being told there is a massive shortage.

Today, OVOĀ Support spoke with their smart meter department, and told me that either anĀ IHD6 or IHD7, would work with my meters.

I have spoken with the manufacturer, Chameleon.

If I understood correctly, they confirmedĀ that, because bothĀ my meters have been enrolled and adopted, this means they willĀ work with either their IHD6 or IHD7. Both of which they have in stock. As a last resort, if IHD6 or IHD7 donā€™t work, they can manufacture a special backwards compatible version, if OVOĀ ask them to. They have done this before for OVO. They do not have a supply issue.

As an alternative, they said I could buy an ivie Bud IHD from their retail arm, which I think they said is based on IHD7. They said this would also work, and the compatibility tool, on their website, confirmed that it would work with my meters.Ā It would cost Ā£49.99 plus delivery. These are also in stock. I donā€™t want to pay for one. Iā€™m just pointing out that stock is available.

I have read in other posts, on the forum, that IHD6 and IHD7 wonā€™t work with my meters. So, I am really confused. I feel like I am going round in circles a bit. I have read different things about which model I need, and have been told different things about whether they are in stock and available. So, any help, to clear all this up, would be very kindlyĀ appreciated. Thanks.

https://ivie.co.uk/product/ivie-bud/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkI-Vvau8-AIVw5rVCh3aegDTEAAYASAAEgK67fD_BwE

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

Just wanted to stop by to let you know Iā€™m researching an answer. Other forum members might stop by and answer before I come back though. :)

This is one that I need a couple of hours to fully check some resources. Bear with us!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok! Iā€™m back.

Howdy @dmanĀ ! Sorry for the wait, this took a while to research and I had to check in with Chameleon again (they know me too well at this point!).

I can confirm that theĀ regularĀ variants of the IHD6 and IHD7, such as the Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID and Chameleon IHD7-CAD-PPMID that OVO has been known to give out are only compatible with SMETS2 meters - and will not work with SMETS1 (trust me, I made that mistake once!).

However, the Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 and Chameleon IHD7-CAD-PPMID-S1 are special variants that are dual-compatible with both S1 and S2 meters. This is the special variant that Chameleon told you about and they confirmed that to me yesterday afternoon (obviously without revealing anything about you of course).

The ivie Bud is indeed based on the IHD7 and itā€™sĀ technicallyĀ an IHD7-CAD-S1 because it has that same capability of working with both S1+ (what I like to call S1 meters that are now adopted to DCC)Ā and S2 meters equally. If you need a new IHD and fancy a Chameleon one, this would be your best option.

Alternatively, Hildebrand has also confirmed that your meters are fully compatible with the Hildebrand Glow IHD. Their S1 stock is almost ready to go again, but they're just waiting for some last minute tasks to be completed before they can ship any through the door. If youā€™d like to join the waiting list to get notified, Hildebrand have given me this link to share with you - simply select the SMETS1 Display waiting list as the contact reason.

OVOĀ mightĀ be able to send you an IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 or IHD7-CAD-PPMID-S1 but my understanding is that most of the OVO stock has been dedicated towards Boost PAYG customers because thereā€™s absolutely tons of them who desperately need the special variants. Thatā€™s not to say you can never get one for yourself of course. Just that it might be a while.

I hope this helps. Thanks for being patient!

HiĀ Blastoise186

Thank you for all your work on this.

First of all, I donā€™t want to pay for one. OVO have an obligation to provide an IHD, as there has never been one at this address. It makes all the money that has been spent on smart meters a bit pointless, if you canā€™t actually manage to getĀ a reading.

The bit I am still finding confusing is that, yesterday,Ā two different advisers at Chameleon, told me that once a SMETS1 meter has been upgraded to S1+, it will work with the regular IHD6 and IHD7. Sorry to be a pain, but did you ask them about that specifically?Ā Because, at first I was toldĀ regular IHD6 and IHD7 would not work with SMETS1. But when I mentioned thatĀ my metersĀ had been upgraded and adopted, both advisers told me theyĀ would work. You say thatĀ didnā€™t work for you, but had your meters been upgraded?

Do you know what is causing the delays?Ā I was told yesterday, by Chameleon, that there arenā€™t any supply problems. Are OVO using it as an excuse to save money? They obviously have stock, because they told me that they are still giving them out with new meter installations.

It would seem that the next step wouldĀ be to start a complaint with Ofgem.

Maybe OVO will pay for an ivie Bud for me, if they canā€™t supply me with an IHD from their own stock?

Finally, there areĀ  several unused Pipit 500 modelsĀ for sale on EBay. Are these still compatible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries.

Yup, I checked everything that Chameleon was able to tell me. Certainly, when I first heard about the IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 it was a special variant and the ZigBee Alliance confirms hereĀ that such a variant does exist.

It was actuallyĀ @Tim_OVOĀ who first told me about the IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 a couple of years back if memory serves. He tried to get one for me back then but a certain OVO developer had swiped OVOā€™s entire inventoryĀ for testing and hadnā€™t returned them yet (at the time) because he still needed to work on them. By the time OVO had them ready, I was already on S2.

I know from experience that the regular IHD6 wonā€™t work with S1+ because I tried to set mine up with Pikachu (my S1 Aclara meter at the time). Since upgrading to Raichu (my S2 Aclara meter), Iā€™ve been able to pair up two IHD6 that I call the Kecleon Brothers without issue.

For the IHD7, itā€™s a little more complicated, someone mentioned there was an S1 variant, but it seems that might have been confusion as Iā€™ve now got new info that confirms the regular one works. See here. It would seem that Chameleon really did start putting both certificates into the IHD7, which would make sense since the ivie Bud is based on the IHD7 and has that dual compatibility.

You are entitled to a free IHD if itā€™s the first one youā€™ve had - and this includes cases where the previous customer moved out and ran off with the one that was originally provided to them. OVOā€™s policy is to always replace them for free in such cases but it is a one-time deal (itā€™d get sent out to you in the post). Once youā€™ve had your free one, you canā€™t get another again at the same address unless that one develops a fault. The support team can arrange this on request.

Thanks, again

I just have a brief follow up query!

You said, in another post, that if you buy a retail IHD, it must be connected to WiFi, whereas the ones from the supplier donā€™t need to be. Iā€™m just interested in why this is? DoĀ theyĀ connect to the meter in differentĀ ways?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thatā€™s right. One of the biggest reasons is that retail IHDs like the ivie Bud and the retail variant of the Hildebrand Glow IHD need to be paired by the manufacturer rather than your supplier. Because they have to do it via the DCC Other User role, they need to have some way of contacting the IHD in order to configure it and get it up and running. Wi-Fi is basically the only way they can do this. Itā€™s also because they need a way to make setup as self-service as possible too!

Energy suppliers have the Supplier role and can send the required SMETS Commands and 99% of the time, the IHD is paired up by the installing engineer before the device is handed to you. Engineers have a special smartphone app for this purpose that's not otherwise available to anyone else.

Ultimately, they all connect via the same ZigBee HAN (Home Area Network). Itā€™s just a case ofĀ how they get there!

Userlevel 7

HiĀ @dmanĀ and welcome to the OVO online community,

Ā 

Just wanted to step in here to confirm, we currently offer a Chameleon IHD6 which is compatible with enrolled S1 Secure Liberty smart meters. I appreciate that youā€™ve been waiting some time for your requested device to be delivered. Unfortunately as our Support Team has advised weā€™re having some stock delaysĀ with all IHD devices due to global supply chain issues, if youā€™ve been in touch with the team already to raise this, we should be doing everything we can to get the IHD delivered to you as soon as possible.

Ā 

In the meantime weā€™d recommend heading to your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) for some more great usage data tools.

Ā 

Ā 

Wonder if anyone can help.Ā  Ā My SSE in-home display has decided to stop working and is no longer recognising/connecting to my smart meter.

I have B. Gas one as well which is working fine, the meter is still being read daily by OVOĀ and have ruled out wifi issues being the case.

Looking at the OVO site it appears to be possible to get a free replacement but once again trying to get hold of Cust Service either on chat or on the phone is like pulling teeth.

Is there any easier way to speak to someone, or get hold of a replacement IHD at all?

Thanks.