Solved

Smart meter in block of flats - Is it possible to have one fitted?

Show first post

32 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Also, who is the supplier?

Also, who is the supplier?

@Blastoise186

The IHD is an identical model to this: https://community.scottishpower.co.uk/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/138i927A42B5B1118E53/image-size/large?v=v2&px=999

This is not my IHD. 

My supplier is British Gas. Sorry to be cheeky, if it needs to be OVO here. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. Thanks for the info.

Just a note on the forum rules to reassure you. You are more than welcome to ask us for advice even if you’re not supplied by OVO. :)

The forum is open to everyone regardless of supplier and there’s no obligation to switch to OVO at all, nor do you owe anyone a penny for advice given here. It’s completely free of charge and you can just walk away when you’re done. Or stick around and help out if you’d like to!

If you decide to switch to OVO anyway, I won’t get any commission or kickback out of it. Which is great because it keeps me neutral and independent (but yes, I am an OVO customer myself).

I think that IHD is a Chameleon IHD2 by the looks of things, but it might be an early Chameleon IHD3-TS which we actually don’t see very often!

It would suggest to me that you do have Smart Meters, but there’s one way to find out for sure.

Can you run it through this tool please? https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Let me know the results - and don’t worry if it doesn’t work!

No worries. Thanks for the info.

Just a note on the forum rules to reassure you. You are more than welcome to ask us for advice even if you’re not supplied by OVO. :)

The forum is open to everyone regardless of supplier and there’s no obligation to switch to OVO at all, nor do you owe anyone a penny for advice given here. It’s completely free of charge and you can just walk away when you’re done. Or stick around and help out if you’d like to!

If you decide to switch to OVO anyway, I won’t get any commission or kickback out of it. Which is great because it keeps me neutral and independent (but yes, I am an OVO customer myself).

I think that IHD is a Chameleon IHD2 by the looks of things, but it might be an early Chameleon IHD3-TS which we actually don’t see very often!

It would suggest to me that you do have Smart Meters, but there’s one way to find out for sure.

Can you run it through this tool please? https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Let me know the results - and don’t worry if it doesn’t work!

Thanks for the CAB link, it has confirmed that this is a smart meter. So is it pointless sending them a reading?? 

It is indeed a Chameleon - not sure which model though, would have to check later. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You may still need to submit readings for now. That’s a SMETS1 meter which might not be compatible with British Gas until it gets migrated to DCC - the CAB Smart Meter Check tool can tell you whether it’s on DCC or not. If it is, it’ll say the meter is working in Smart Mode.

Otherwise, you may need to switch to either OVO or Octopus to get it working again, or wait a while for British Gas to get access to it.

I have booked to have a smart meter installed on 1st Feb. The fact that I am able to book an appointment tells me that I can have one. First problem solved.

I live in a first floor flat, and the current meter is under the stairs on the ground floor. I would say, as the crow flies, you are looking at around 30 metres away,  obviously through concrete. Question is, will I be able to have a display in my flat? Not necessarily as a link from the meter directly, perhaps using the same signal I would use looking at the meter on my phone, which I understand is possible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @I_Need_Power !

This might be possible via the Alt HAN solution. :)

There’s also a chance that Dual-Band Comms Hubs might work. The engineer will assess your environment and make a decision for you as to what’s best.

You’ll definitely get the meter either way. If they can get the display to work, they will.