Tutorial

OVO SMETS2 smart meter In Home Displays (IHD) - Guide

• 11 September 2020
  • 69 replies
OVO SMETS2 smart meter In Home Displays (IHD) - Guide

Show first post

69 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi and welcome to the OVO online community, @sue4571.

Sorry to hear about the unusually high usage you’ve seen from your smart meter over the weekend - and for any worry this caused you. Firstly it’s worth checking where it was you noticed the usage increase - was it on your In-Home Display or the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS)? 

Let us know what type of Smart meter you have as well (if it’s easy to check) as this can also help us get to the bottom of things. :thumbsup:

Seems ok now. I unplugged it from wall, waited a minute and plugged it back in. It told me it had used 62p! Today I woke up and it said £6.58p but I unplugged it again, plugged it back in and it said 42p. Personally I don’t think I’ll bother looking at it again, it has a mind of its own. I’ll just wait to see what the actual bill is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok. Thanks for letting us know.

If your Smart Meters are set to either Daily or Monthly mode, you can also keep an eye on your balance and the bills in near real-time via MyOVO and the OVO Energy apps. They get updated daily automatically and also update within around 90 seconds of a manual reading being submitted.

It does seem strange that your In-Home Display got a bit weird. You might want to keep an eye on it just in case this keeps happening. If it does, we’ll be happy to help.

Userlevel 7

Sounds like your In-Home Display (IHD) might have been using the incorrect unit rates to calculate your daily usage cost, @sue4571.

If the problem does continue it’s worth letting our Support Team know as they’re able to send out a message to the IHD to make sure the correct prices are applied and the info the display shows is accurate. If you haven’t already seen it there’s some great advice on this here -

I’m glad the Chameleon IHD7 is not using temperature info for anything, its miles off, my home is a uncomfortable 26C and my IHD says it’s 23c! Not exactly accurate sadly.

Userlevel 1

How do I get someone to link my smart meter when they are only taking calls for vulnerable people

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Try Chat tomorrow morning from your online account 

Hi

Smart meter is being installed next week. Ovo support on phone said I’ll receive an automated email with information on the type of IHD after booking an install date. However, booking confirmation email says, I’ll only know the IHD type on the day of install. 

Typically what type of IHD does OVO provide ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @lockworm ,

Most likely it’ll be a SMETS2 Chameleon IHD7-CAD-PPMID. The latest model from Chameleon which is based on the IHD6 but with a few improvements.

This unit was left with us when the start meter was installed a few months ago, but has never shown anything. I’ve done the following troubleshooting steps:

- it’s connected to the WiFi and the WAN (bars are solid)

- the time is showing

- the meter is publishing readings to Ovo every day (and the SW, WAN, HAN and GAS lights are flashing every 5 seconds)

- I’ve switched it off, left it 5 minutes then restarted, still nothing showing up

- I’ve placed it next to the meter

I’ll put a picture of it below. Any advice most appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Looks like everything else is working. Try tapping the So far today a few times to get to Now. What do you see then?

It’s the same : 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hmmmmm… I don’t think I’ve heard of this one for literally ages…

I’ll come back to you if I remember anything!

Userlevel 7

This is very clearly outlined, @Steco - there’s nothing I can see that can explain why the IHD isn’t displaying your usage data.

Thank you for taking the time to run through all of those steps. It will help our Support team when they pass this on to be investigated. I’d recommend you share a link to this topic via a web chat message here

What does the message 

Gas meter initializing mean

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Is that on you Smart Meter ‘in home display’ (IHD) ?

That's correct

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Blastoise186 will be able to tell you - we are yet to find anything he doesn’t know about Smart Meters…!

He may ask you for a photo of said meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I do indeed need to see photos of both the meter and IHD.

Sorry I don't have the means to send a photo. All I can tell you is that it is a GEO Trio II touch button. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Alan Macdiarmid and thanks for asking this. 

I’m not able to see a mention of this ‘Gas meter initializing mean’ message in the Geo Trio touchbutton documentation. It’s likely an issue connecting the In Home Display’s (IHD) to the smart meter’s ‘home area network’. 

Perhaps this guide shows what should be showing in the display, helping you work out what’s missing:

Failing that, we might see if we can grab someone from Geo to help out. 

I couldn't find anything in my instruction booklet either. Thanks for your efforts

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you can head into the System Status menu and grab the Status Codes for each item listed, it’ll definitely make diagnosing this one much easier, especially if we grab a certain friend of ours. :)

Thanks. I'll see if I can.

Thanks again for all your efforts.

When first installed, my indoor display showed only my electricity consumption. Now it shows dual fuel, but I do not have gas. How can I return the monitor to single fuel display?