Skip to main content
F.A.Q.

National enrolment and adoption (E & A) of SMETS1 smart meters onto the Data Communications Company (DCC) - Your Guide

National enrolment and adoption (E & A) of SMETS1 smart meters onto the Data Communications Company (DCC) - Your Guide

Updated on 16/07/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Make the most of your smart meter with the OVO Beyond App, find out more here:

The SMETS1 smart meter enrollment process - Your Guide

If you had a first-generation smart meter installed (this was usually before 2019), you might be aware of the limitations of this version of smart meters when it comes to switching suppliers. As not all suppliers were able to communicate with all meter models this meant that you might lose smart functionality of your meters when you switched. In order to rectify this a national remote upgrade took place to make sure all SMETS1 meters will be able to communicate your smart meter usage data to all energy suppliers, much like SMETS 2 meters

This process is known as ‘Enrollment and Adoption’ (E&A) and is being managed by the Data Communications Company (DCC)

Why do these smart meters need to be updated?

To get the full benefits of smart meters, the government has decided that there should be one new unified smart meter data network. This makes smart meters work more effectively with all energy suppliers, improving the efficiency of the grid and helping us all to cut carbon emissions.

Once your SMETS1 smart meter has been updated to this single network, you’ll also be able to switch suppliers without your meter losing its smart features. Smart meters automatically send meter readings to your energy supplier. This means your bills are more accurate, and you can see how much energy you’re using online – or on your In-Home Display (IHD)

How did the update happen? 

Your smart meter was updated wirelessly, so you don’t need a visit from an engineer – and there won’t be any disruption to your energy supply.

What timescales to expect for my meters to be enrolled?

This table shows the expected upgrade time frame depending on the Meter Manufacturer. 

Meter Manufacturer MSN format Fuel Expected migration to Smart

Secure

YYP Electric

Started - planned completion end of 2022

G4P Gas  

Elster

YYK Electric

G4K Gas  

Aclara

YYM Electric

G4F Gas  

Itron

YYS Electric

G4 Gas  

L+G

YYL

Electric

Started - planned completion end of 2022

ZYYQ    
  ZYYN    
  E6S Gas  

How can I easily identify if the meter is Secure?

Secure Electric Meter Serial Numbers will start with XXP (eg 18P) and Gas Meter Serial Numbers will start with G4P. You can find the Meter Serial number on the front of your meters.

Can a S1 Secure meter go through E&A with no signal?

The short answer to this is no. A S1 Secure meter must be in communication with us in order for OVO to migrate the meter. Check to see if your meter has WAN here

Will I receive an email when my meter is being upgraded?

The Data Communications Company (DCC) is updating SMETS1 meters in batches, we receive notification of which accounts will be updated 15 days in advance which gives us time to send an email or letter to  let you know. This includes a data protection statement for obtaining and using your meter readings.

If this update is successful then we’ll send you another email or letter to let you know. If it’s unsuccessful we’ll let you know and the DCC will try and update the account again - we'll let you know if and when the update is successful. We unfortunately have no control over who gets upgraded and who doesn't, this is decided by the DCC.

Can all meters go through E&A?

There'll be some meters that cannot go through E&A and will need replacing such as older EDMI meters. DCC publish their lists on what model combinations will be eligible as they complete their testing. Most testing for Aclara, Elster, Itron and Secure has been completed and we are working our way through the migrations of those meters.

Are there any Exceptions to the E&A process?

There’ll be many scenarios where the process is not so straightforward. All exceptions are under review currently.

Is the update optional?

This update isn’t optional because all SMETS1 meters need to be updated and connected to the Data Communications Company (DCC) by September 2022. It’s a government initiative so everyone has to do it – not just OVO members.

How can I check if my meter has been updated?

You can check whether your meter has completed the enrolment process using this online tool.

Is your meter about to go through this upgrade process? Share your experience or ask for advice by commenting below!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Smart meter not communicating with us? Fill out this Online Form

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

111 replies

Userlevel 1

Hiya

We’ve Secure smart meters and, according to the timeline given above, we were supposed to have been migrated to SMETS2 by the end of March.

Any thoughts on the new timeline?

Userlevel 7

Sorry for the slightly later response than usual, @Rootbeer - It’s been a busy week here!

Great question to ask about the timeframe for your Secure meter enrolment. Whilst the vast majority of these meter types have now been remotely upgraded, there may have been some technical issues affecting the few remaining meters.

If you’re currently an OVO member - Have you logged in to check the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your OVO App (download for Android or iOS) yet? This would show any meter readings we’ve received automatically from your meter. If there’s readings missing here, we’d recommend carrying out a Smart Meter Health Check and contacting our Support Team with the results.

I hope this helps get to the bottom of things.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Jess_OVO I am a customer of Ovo’s.

I accept your point about technical difficulties, but I assumed that if the process were to be followed as I understand it, you’d first notify me that my meter was about to be migrated and *then* let me know whether it was a success / fail. 

I have had no such notification, therefore I have to assume that it has not been attempted yet? Does that sound a reasonable conclusion?

I log into my online account daily, and my smart meters are successfully providing Ovo with readings.

What is the next step?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Rootbeer ,

I can answer this one. When my previous SMETS1 meter was about to be migrated, OVO sent me an email a few weeks ahead letting me know, which also mentioned that another email would be sent out once the migration completed. In my case, it related more to the fact OVO would soon be able to communicate with it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re sending out a similar email for anyone who’s meter already works with OVO prior to the migration.

If you haven’t had one yet, it’s possible your meter isn’t yet queued up, or isn’t yet high enough in the queue to trigger the email. It could also be possible that the migration is already completed and it was done silently. The Support Team can most likely check the status for you, but they cannot speed up the migration.

Userlevel 1

Hi @Blastoise186 I was hoping you’d pop along. I don’t post a lot, but I keep on top of events and you are the cream that rises to the top. 😀

You’ve echoed my understanding of the process, which is good to know. I.e. email notification, followed by confirmation of status after the migration.

I’ve had neither. 

To be clear, I’m not expecting a fast track (it would be a slow track at this point anyway), I was just considering two point: First, the informative post that began this topic needs updating regarding the timeline, and seconding I was wondering precisely whether we’d been migrated or not.

So you are suggesting I should contact support to find out more?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It might be worth having a chat with them, but if you’re OK to hold off until next Monday (11th April), it would be appreciated as by then, the crazy rush of meter readings should be over. Blame Martin Lewis for messing up his advice again!

I think the thread has recently been updated, but I’ll go through it again and have a chat with Tim and Jess if needed. Thanks for bringing that up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Having had a very deep look through the resources I use, it definitely seems things have changed a bit, however my sources have changed the table layout to no longer show each brand individually in the same way they once did.

While Secure meters have in theory all been migrated now, there’s still a few that are either:

• In the queue - which are ready to migrate, but the supplier hasn’t yet started the process officially
  • In progress - defined by going through the Enrolment & Adoption process right as I type this comment out
  • Failed - where the migration failed and further investigation is needed
  • Unreachable - where the meter has totally lost all connections and cannot be migrated at all

I’ll ask @Jess_OVO to double check the data in the guide is up to date and possibly add some notes. Thanks for bringing this up!

Userlevel 1

Thank you, @Blastoise186. As I say, I’ve heard nothing from Ovo, so if procedures are being followed correctly, I have to assume that no attempt to migrate ours has been undertaken. 

My point on updating the original post was that it states “Expected completion March 2022.” Clearly it’s an estimated timeline, but we are now in April. 

As you suggest, I’ll leave it till next week to contact Ovo support. I’ve been waiting years for the migration, but I’d like to know we’ve not been forgotten.

Userlevel 1

Just to close off my portion of this thread. 😉 I had a pleasant online chat with the very helpful Bradley from Ovo, who assured me that we had been migrated. 

I also found @Blastoise186 that the Data Communications Company has a DCC Enrolment and Adoption Checker, which may assist others.

It states, of the electric smart meter:

Supplier: OVO Electricity Ltd

This means your meter should automatically send readings to your supplier, so you don't need to send them yourself.

It's working in smart mode because you have a first generation (SMETS1) meter that’s on the smart meter data network. The network connects your smart meter to energy suppliers.

It then offers a link to 7 suppliers with which our smart meter is compatible. 

The gas meter turns up 15 suppliers, which I assume to be the more accurate list?

No plans to leave Ovo, but should the day arrive, it’s good to know that the migration and adoption process has been completed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unfortunately, the tool doesn’t always work. I tested it on myself and it completely fell flat despite the fact I have a fully operational S2 meter.

Testing it against a charity I’m involved with (I do have a legitimate reason to do that!) does at least return valid results though. It’s probably just unique circumstances surrounding my site which means only OVO, DCC and Western Power Distribution are able to access my smart meter and its data.

Userlevel 1

Well, that’s about as much use as a chocolate teapot then. 

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that, as a visual confirmation to Ovo’s words, i.e. by dent of the fact that the checker at least knows we are with Ovo, means we are done with this stuff.

Thanks again for your assistance. 

Userlevel 7

Yep hopefully, @Blastoise186’s smart meters are a bit of an anomaly as that’s a useful link otherwise, @Rootbeer.

What do you think about us adding it to the original guide? (might need a disclaimer to contact the Support Team who can confirm if the results don’t seem right!) 

Information on the timetable for the upgrade of this type of meter suggests that all of them should be completed by the end of 2022. Are the upgrades on track to attain this date?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Should be nearly done soon, hopefully. But I don’t have access to the official data myself. :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

In surprised Liberty 100's aren't operating as SMETS2. I know a few that have been working happily like this for at least a couple of years. What result does this Smart Meter checker give?

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s only a single Secure model that actually runs as a true S2, which is the Secure Liberty 101 https://www.securemeters.com/product/smart-prepayment-electricity/liberty-101/

And that comes with the Secure Liberty Gas 200 https://www.securemeters.com/product/smart-prepayment-gas/liberty-gas-200/ which is their only S2 gas meter.

And there’s hardly any of either of those flying around! I wonder why...

In surprised Liberty 100's aren't operating as SMETS2. I know a few that have been working happily like this for at least a couple of years. What result does this Smart Meter checker give?

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

The above check reports…

We can’t find your meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There might be a problem with the data DCC holds, either that or the tool broke. It’s been known to happen but it should eventually work for you. Took me six months to get it to work for my site!

There might be a problem with the data DCC holds, either that or the tool broke. It’s been known to happen but it should eventually work for you. Took me six months to get it to work for my site!

I’ve tried several times over the past year but I always get the same result. I guess the tool isn’t broken, probably something wrong with the DCC data. I wonder how I can get that sorted.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Umm… Yeah… Slight problem there. I’m afraid you can’t. DCC doesn’t talk to end customers but OVO might be able to flag it up for you.

OK, I’ll try contacting OVO. 

Many thanks to both of you for your replies. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, just checked it for an account using a Liberty 100 meter and got the same result that DCC could not find meter. I know Secure meters work when you switch to Octopus system, but the meters obviously aren't integrated with the DCC yet.

Well, I took your advice and spoke to OVO. This is the reply…

“So it wont show on DCC database yet as its still showing on SFE this is the platform that the smet1 meters work and once its had the upgrade which will be by the end of this year, you will be able to then see your meter on the DCC database as it will then be operating on that network for the database to find your meter details. The DCC do the upgrade in batches which is why some are still waiting for the upgrade. I hope this helps?”

Thanks for you help Wendy. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah ok, so in that case it’s probably still running on the SMSO (Smart Meter System Operator) run by Secure themselves.

Both OVO and Octopus have support for unmigrated S1 Secure Liberty meters because that’s what both of them installed in the S1 days. The fact they share the same S1 SMSO means that you can jump between OVO and Octopus whenever you want and the meters should continue to work even if they’re not on DCC.

At this point, it is hugely frustrating that the time to complete has been moved back multiple times by the DCC - initially late 2021, then it crept up to September 2022, now end of 2022. We’ve got the Landis & Gyr combo, and I didn’t mind so much before the most recent price hike to just send a monthly reading, but now we really have to watch our consumption and we can’t participate in energy savings programs that depend on peak time measurements, which is hitting us in the bills. It feels discriminating as it’s not something we have any influence on - we’d choose to have a new meter installed in a heartbeat, but that doesn’t appear to be an option.