Skip to main content
F.A.Q.

National enrolment and adoption (E & A) of SMETS1 smart meters onto the Data Communications Company (DCC) - Your Guide

National enrolment and adoption (E & A) of SMETS1 smart meters onto the Data Communications Company (DCC) - Your Guide

Updated on 16/07/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Make the most of your smart meter with the OVO Beyond App, find out more here:

The SMETS1 smart meter enrollment process - Your Guide

If you had a first-generation smart meter installed (this was usually before 2019), you might be aware of the limitations of this version of smart meters when it comes to switching suppliers. As not all suppliers were able to communicate with all meter models this meant that you might lose smart functionality of your meters when you switched. In order to rectify this a national remote upgrade took place to make sure all SMETS1 meters will be able to communicate your smart meter usage data to all energy suppliers, much like SMETS 2 meters

This process is known as ‘Enrollment and Adoption’ (E&A) and is being managed by the Data Communications Company (DCC)

Why do these smart meters need to be updated?

To get the full benefits of smart meters, the government has decided that there should be one new unified smart meter data network. This makes smart meters work more effectively with all energy suppliers, improving the efficiency of the grid and helping us all to cut carbon emissions.

Once your SMETS1 smart meter has been updated to this single network, you’ll also be able to switch suppliers without your meter losing its smart features. Smart meters automatically send meter readings to your energy supplier. This means your bills are more accurate, and you can see how much energy you’re using online – or on your In-Home Display (IHD)

How did the update happen? 

Your smart meter was updated wirelessly, so you don’t need a visit from an engineer – and there won’t be any disruption to your energy supply.

What timescales to expect for my meters to be enrolled?

This table shows the expected upgrade time frame depending on the Meter Manufacturer. 

Meter Manufacturer MSN format Fuel Expected migration to Smart

Secure

YYP Electric

Started - planned completion end of 2022

G4P Gas  

Elster

YYK Electric

G4K Gas  

Aclara

YYM Electric

G4F Gas  

Itron

YYS Electric

G4 Gas  

L+G

YYL

Electric

Started - planned completion end of 2022

ZYYQ    
  ZYYN    
  E6S Gas  

How can I easily identify if the meter is Secure?

Secure Electric Meter Serial Numbers will start with XXP (eg 18P) and Gas Meter Serial Numbers will start with G4P. You can find the Meter Serial number on the front of your meters.

Can a S1 Secure meter go through E&A with no signal?

The short answer to this is no. A S1 Secure meter must be in communication with us in order for OVO to migrate the meter. Check to see if your meter has WAN here

Will I receive an email when my meter is being upgraded?

The Data Communications Company (DCC) is updating SMETS1 meters in batches, we receive notification of which accounts will be updated 15 days in advance which gives us time to send an email or letter to  let you know. This includes a data protection statement for obtaining and using your meter readings.

If this update is successful then we’ll send you another email or letter to let you know. If it’s unsuccessful we’ll let you know and the DCC will try and update the account again - we'll let you know if and when the update is successful. We unfortunately have no control over who gets upgraded and who doesn't, this is decided by the DCC.

Can all meters go through E&A?

There'll be some meters that cannot go through E&A and will need replacing such as older EDMI meters. DCC publish their lists on what model combinations will be eligible as they complete their testing. Most testing for Aclara, Elster, Itron and Secure has been completed and we are working our way through the migrations of those meters.

Are there any Exceptions to the E&A process?

There’ll be many scenarios where the process is not so straightforward. All exceptions are under review currently.

Is the update optional?

This update isn’t optional because all SMETS1 meters need to be updated and connected to the Data Communications Company (DCC) by September 2022. It’s a government initiative so everyone has to do it – not just OVO members.

How can I check if my meter has been updated?

You can check whether your meter has completed the enrolment process using this online tool.

Is your meter about to go through this upgrade process? Share your experience or ask for advice by commenting below!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Smart meter not communicating with us? Fill out this Online Form

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

111 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

At this point, it is hugely frustrating that the time to complete has been moved back multiple times by the DCC - initially late 2021, then it crept up to September 2022, now end of 2022. We’ve got the Landis & Gyr combo, and I didn’t mind so much before the most recent price hike to just send a monthly reading, but now we really have to watch our consumption and we can’t participate in energy savings programs that depend on peak time measurements, which is hitting us in the bills. It feels discriminating as it’s not something we have any influence on - we’d choose to have a new meter installed in a heartbeat, but that doesn’t appear to be an option.

It’s ultimately down to both DCC and suppliers I’m afraid. Whoever installed your meter needs to offer it up to DCC for adoption once the relevant firmware updates are installed. Until that happens, DCC can’t even touch it.

If the migration fails and can’t be recovered, you’ll be offered a SMETS2 upgrade.

It’s ultimately down to both DCC and suppliers I’m afraid. Whoever installed your meter needs to offer it up to DCC for adoption once the relevant firmware updates are installed. Until that happens, DCC can’t even touch it.

If the migration fails and can’t be recovered, you’ll be offered a SMETS2 upgrade.

That is of course fair, my post was more a frustrated vent rather than expecting a specific outcome. But it begs the question when delay after delay after delay begins constituting a lack of action. Since our setup uses a communications hub, it’s not listed in the DCC database either, so I can’t check the status outside of pestering OVO support reps. I know, not their fault, but immensely frustrating nonetheless.

I wonder if checking with British Gas could help to speed up the transition - as in most cases, they’re the source of evil here.

The SMETS1 to SMETS2 conversion DCC program is due to complete end of 2022. I’ve heard nothing yet. Anyone know how the program’s going? Anyone else not converted yet?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You may already know this

You can check if your meter has migrated here

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Thanks Jeffus, I checked and I’m still SMETS1, that's why I asked.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Again you may already have seen this

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/our-smart-network/current-programmes/smets1-enrolment-and-adoption/

Basically they say the easy ones have been done already, more difficult ones by end of 2022, any that can't be done will then be replaced by your supplier. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Again you may already have seen this

https://www.smartdcc.co.uk/our-smart-network/current-programmes/smets1-enrolment-and-adoption/

Basically they say the easy ones have been done already, more difficult ones by end of 2022, any that can't be done will then be replaced by your supplier. 

Yes, from what I’ve read, it’s an upgrade to the SMETS1 that’s underway not a complete replacement. There’s also the DCC adoption/registration which is required. 

Not sure why mine would be “difficult”. My question is really about whether the program’s on track, is the “end of 2022” fluid? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Not sure why mine would be “difficult”. My question is really about whether the program’s on track, is the “end of 2022” fluid? 

Nothing has been said that the plan is being changed. Ovo or the DCC haven't given another date. Nothing has been said the date is fluid.  

Honestly, i would assume you get a new meter by the end of 2023. 

​​​​​​

If you have a meter that cannot be transferred to DCC then suppliers have to take all reasonable steps to replace your meter with a SMETS 2 meter by 31st December 2023

Thanks for that.

I’ve got one of the (seemingly cursed) Landis+Gyr E470 with Trilliant SEAP-2000-V comms hub smart meters. Its currently operating in dumb mode. I had thought the DCC adoption was meant to have been completed for these by the end of 2022.

Does anyone know what the new deadline is meant to be, or if its possible to just get it swapped out for a proper SMETS2 meter (the OVO smart meter booking form just says “ Your account does not pass our eligibility check right now”...)? I’m about to start some major renovation and if it does need to be replaced I’d rather it be done at the same time!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @gsyme ,

Sure thing. It’s now end of 2023. If the meter needs to be replaced due to migration failures, the new one would go on the same backboard as the existing kit, so it won’t mess up the renovation. OVO would arrange that for free if you end up needing it.

Badge

Hi @Blastoise186 where did you see the new DCC upgrade deadline of December 2023 because all I could see on their website was:

"Almost all of the "dormant" meters which the DCC can proactively identify and upgrade have been migrated to the network. If your meter hasn't been upgraded unfortunately we're unable to provide you with an exact date as to when this will happen. That's because we need to work with the energy companies to migrate the remaining meters: we can't do it on our own. If there is a problem with migrating your SMETS1 meters, your energy supplier will arrange for second-generation (SMETS2) meters to be installed."

If they just gave a deadline and said we would get a SMETS2 installed if that was missed then I doubt anyone would have a problem. Missing deadlines for 3 years doesn't exactly inspire confidence that this will be sorted by the end of this year even. 

Userlevel 7
Badge

Just to add that mine was one of a batch migrated in week 9, so they are making progress. I get the impression that it’s the ‘difficult’ ones that are taking longest, because there’s some manual intervention required. There are probably a lot of former SSE meters to be dealt with as well. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @drnkarim ,

I sometimes get information from non-public sources. In this case, it came from someone at OVO’s Bristol office when I went there back in November last year.

Badge

Hi @Blastoise186. Thanks for the reply. Extremely frustrating. We have 2 electric cars and could be saving £100 a month if we could move to an off peak tariff to charge. It seems the DCC have zero oversight as there have been no penalties for repeatedly missing deadlines. 

At this point I would gladly pay to get a SMETS2 meter installed but I've been unable to find any company that offer this service. Only thing I can safely say is that if there's a new deadline of December 2023, it won't be done by then. I'll send a complaint to the DCC but doubt that will achieve anything. All I can do is wait until they inevitably accept defeat but that'll probably be in a few years. 

Vent over

Userlevel 7
Badge

We have 2 electric cars and could be saving £100 a month if we could move to an off peak tariff to charge.

Are you sure that the meter has to be SMETS2 to qualify for an EV-friendly tariff like Charge Anytime? Or do you have one that just isn’t capable of handling a multi-rate tariff? 

If you told us which meter you have (a photo of it would be good), someone should be able to clear this up. 

Badge

@Firedog interesting. I have a landi+gyr e470 with the trilliant communication hub. The T&C's for charge anytime state:

• You must have a smart meter that can communicate half-hourly data to OVO Energy – currently the main types of smart meters that work with Charge Anytime are SMETS2 meters by any manufacturer, and SMETS1 meters manufactured by Secure; 

I assumed as my meter has never worked as a smart meter then that counted me out. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That one might work! Try running it through https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

Badge

@Blastoise186 have done many times for over a year. It just says that it can't find my smart meter

Userlevel 7

I would’ve thought a smart meter that’s (brace for some jargon) enrolled and adopted with the DCC, aka S1+, would be fine.

@Blastoise186 have done many times for over a year. It just says that it can't find my smart meter

I wonder if this implies these meters haven’t gone through E&A yet…

@Dark @FatOldSun out of interest, what type of smart meter do you have?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

@Tim_OVO I have a Secure Liberty 100.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Mine was literally just replaced last week because my previous one had not sent any readings since Oct 2022. Despite this, Charge Anytime has been working for me just fine.  I suspect this requirement for 30 min readings is just a check and balance.

Userlevel 7

Thanks both, 

@drnkarim you might know that FatOldSun’s Secure Liberty 100 smart meter is an S1, and it’s been enrolled and adopted onto the DCC network. Well, it’s highly likely it has, the vast majority have by now. 

You can check if yours is via this page. If it has, we can change your smart meter to half hourly and there will be no need for a meter exchange for you to get Charge Anytime...

Badge

@Tim_OVO thank you for the reply but I've been using that tool for about 2 years and It has always said my meter can't be found. 

@Dark thank you for the advice. I will give it a go. Will go some way to helping with the bills if it works but would be nice to have a true off peak tariff to move the rest of the household electrical items to.