Solved

Lost Connection - Smart Meters not sending meter readings and no data on In-Home Display (IHD) - Why?

• 6 September 2017
  • 123 replies

Show first post

123 replies

I have a SMART meter but since April I now have to manually take meter readings as it is no longer doing it automatically. Is this normal for everyone. If the SMART meter is not connected then how do I trust the daily costs being shown?

Userlevel 4

Hi @Bassman Is your IHD still showing usage 'correctly'? In that it's giving you kWh used and a cost projection? If so, then you can probably trust those since I believe the communication between the IHD and the meters is separate to the one between the meters and OVO.

Does your online account definitely show no readings being sent by your meter, that's why you're doing it manually? If so, then it's possible there's a communication error somewhere.

If you only got the meters in April, then I think this might be the right link for you to check if your meters are doing what they should be.

Smart Meter Health Check Form

Or you can try this heath check yourself

SMETS2 Health Check

I am vulnerable customer. For three consecutive days I have called 0330 303 5063 and each time I am told the “waiting time will be more than 10 minuses”;  sadly I have had to wait for ever.  My problem is, I am on smart metres , which be sending readings every day, but this never happened on 9th, 10th and 11th Jan.  What I see is an estimated energy cost well over and above my average cost.  Ofgem is my next port of call 

Userlevel 7

Hi @TheCustomer and thanks for sharing this negative experience. I’m sorry to hear of the issues you’ve had getting through to our Support team. 

We have web chat and WhatsApp channels which avoid any hanging around. Here’s a link to all our contact channel options

Are you not seeing any smart meter readings for the 9th-11th? You can confirm this here: https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

If we’re not getting your readings for 5 or more days, you’ll be able to submit them yourself here: https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings - you can also check what the issue with the meter is here:

On that topic there’s a link to a form which will get straight to the right team at OVO!

Hi there,  New to all this.  I need to say that I am a pensioner with mobility issues and also some sight problems.  I had smart meters installed by SSE last February and then was transferred over (with no notification) later in the year.  My electricity smart meter is in a meter box on an external wall outside my ground floor flat.  My gas meter is however in an enclosed shed which is used by my tenant neighbour and not easy to access.  I pointed out to the engineer when he installed it that it would be impossible for me to read if I needed to.  His answer was you wont need to its a smart meter!.

All seems to have gone okay until Christmas Day!!  when I checked my online account to find out that OVO were not receiving my meter readings,  Since then I have tried to read the electricity meter myself several times and a friend has been round and tried to,  Neither of us can read it.  The real problem is the gas meter which is 6 foot plus up on the shed wall and totally inaccessible to me.  Because of my mobility issues it wouldn't be safe to try and use a step stool etc to try and access.  

I would really like to have an engineer visit to read the meters and also to see if it is possible to have the gas one moved if possible.  Has anyone had any experience with this?

Lastly I need to add that my Geo Trio 11 IHD seems to be working properly.  It is sending all information through okay and system status says everything is connected.  Do I understand that I can read the meters from this device?  If not I am not sure what I should be reading.  I was NEVER given any information when the engineer came.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Bondensbabe are you signed up to the Priority Services Register? That would be a good start to enable you to request a visit to read your meters

https://www.ovoenergy.com/register-for-priority-services

Depending on you display type, this might help to guide you to getting a meter reading from it (it does depend on a connection to the smart meter)

Or

Many thanks for the link to the priority services register,  It was something I was not even aware of.  To be honest I cant get very far with the gas smart meter where it is.  I am not prepared to put my health at risk trying to climb a step ladder to try and read it! 

How is it that on the 21st January 2023 I received an email from ovo saying that my meter is not sending readings to them, yet when I look up my bills online it tells me how much electricity I am using daily and how much my bill is. My small smart meter box has never worked properly in my home to show me how much I use daily and the cost but when I go online they can tell how much I am using daily. But my meter is not sending them readings still because they estimated my electricity usage again yesterday!!! 
so please can someone explain to me if my electricity meter is not working properly then how can they work out how much I have to pay for my bill??? My meter still reads the old standing charge of 24p a day.. when I am charged 37p a day on my bill.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If OVO doesn't have any meter readings they will estimate your usage. On the app or website it will state "estimate" next to any meter reading they've estimated.

The figures on your IHD (in home display) aren't necessarily the amounts you will pay. Sometimes they get out of step and end up with the wrong tariff amounts stored in them. This doesn't affect your bill as the display is only for information. If it has the wrong tariff amounts you can ask OVO to resend them, which should sort out the problem.

Well as of the 25th October my IHD and OVO app have stopped updating with data from the meters.

The Electric stopped reporting at about 02:00 and the Gas stopped 08:30. The IHD has since dispelled lost connection and with error codes for the Comms as 26-0, and the Gas and Electric as codes 29-2 and 28-2. 

The IHD has been in the same location since provided 4 years ago and has worked flawlessly. So location is not an issue.

On the Electric meter both WAN & HAN lights flash on/off.

Me being pessimistic but this seems to have occurred right at the end of the transition of SSE to OVO as certain sites/services are being closed as noted here (https://sse.co.uk/smart-meters/smart-meter-problems-and-solutions).

Just seeing if anyone else is experiencing this issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @ChrisBlake83 ,

Those codes on a Geo IHD indicate a problem with the entire system. Please ask OVO to see if the Comms Hub can be rebooted.

One of the easiest ways is via https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com .

Hi @ChrisBlake83 ,

Those codes on a Geo IHD indicate a problem with the entire system. Please ask OVO to see if the Comms Hub can be rebooted.

One of the easiest ways is via https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com .

Thank you, a request has now been submitted hopefully be resolved quicker than the 45 days they indicate 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That tool will have sent off a full diagnostic report as well.

Sometimes these things can be resolved faster - but please be aware that it’s not a guarantee. If it requires DCC to get involved then I’m afraid you’ll be waiting a while as DCC often has quite the backlog.

Is there any law that says that the gas supplier should fix the problem (intermittent gas smart meter readings) resulting from the excessive distance of gas smart meter from the comms hub and electricity meter?

An engineer sent by the gas and electricity supplier to replace a non-functioning gas smart meter said that the old gas meter stopped working and displaying anything, because its battery was prematurely discharged, because when the distance is too large between the gas meter and the electric meter for effective communication between them, then the gas meter tries all the time to contact the electric meter (or the comms hub) and that discharges the battery very quickly (he said that normally the battery should last about 15 years). 

The engineer said that changing the gas meter alone cannot resolve the problem, because the gas meter is too far away from the comms hub and the electric meter, and because of that it cannot communicate with those devices correctly. To remedy this situation the engineer said that his next visit should be booked by the customer with the supplier (he explicitly said that he cannot book it, the customer has to do it), so that he could change the old electric meter and the old comms hub to Dual Band Comms Hub and Dual Band Electric Meter, because dual band comms hubs can work on two different frequencies and one of those frequencies is suitable to cover the longer distance between the gas meter and the electric meter, thus solving the problem of not effective communication between those devices due to too large distance between them.

He also said that his next visit has to be booked, because this is the only supplier that has the rules that do not allow him to do the exchange of the electric meter and the comms hub during his visit when he was exchanging the gas meter. He said that with any other supplier he would be able to do it in one day, in one visit.

The request to the supplier to book the engineer's next visit has been not replied for months despite the reminders sent. Eventually the supplier confirmed that they can see that there is a problem with the gas smart meter, as it is in and out of communication with them. According to them it does show as communicating with them but they do also receive estimates as well whereas they should just be getting smart meter reads.

Yet, because occasionally they do get the smart reads (no wonder, since the engineer installed a new gas meter with a new battery) they do not want to do anything with this.

So they ignored the engineers requirement to change the hub and electricity meter to dual band ones. The engineer did not propose this remedy as optional, he said this has to be done to complete the job. But the supplier decided to not complete the job. 

So they apparently expect a different outcome from the same circumstances that were before. But the outcome cannot be different, because circumstances are the same, the laws of physics are the same, the situation is the same, the battery in the gas meter will again be depleted prematurely, because it still works at the same frequency that was unsuitable for the large distance between the gas meter and the electric meter.

Is there any way to convince the supplier (preferably by quoting some rules or regulations) that they should listen to the engineer's advice and change the comms hub and electric meter to dual band ones to solve once and for all that long distance communication problem of the gas meter with the comms hub?

Also, they charged for months for gas only based on the estimates and not the actual readings. The readings were unavailable even manually, because the battery was so depleted that the gas meter display was blank.

Thus, it was not possible to get those readings in any way. But this is their fault that they did not fix this issue so long before (and are doing the same mistake again now). 

So shouldn't they in such circumstances cancel the estimated gas usage or at least offer a reduced price for that period, as they likely overcharged their customer (they estimated based on winter usage, while it was spring and summer, when the actual usage was much lower)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @dragonf 

Who is the supplier?

OVO

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear this @dragonf,

Unfortunately, we don't have access to customer accounts on the Forum,

My advice would be to reach out to the support team via webchat. You can link them to this topic so you don’t have to explain the situation twice.

If necessary they can raise this to the smart metering team. 

Hi, our smart meter stopped sending meter readings back in Nov ‘23. This has happened before so I was not overly concerned and sent my meter readings manually. Conversations with OVO were carried out and a date was agreed to replace the E meter on 25 Jan ‘24. The engineer came ok, tried resetting the modem by removing the service fuse but to no avail so the meter required changing, problem was the meter is outside and it was raining so no meter change. This I understand as a retired Electrical Engineer. Now comes the weird part. Over all this time my OVO web site account shows daily usage of both E & G. And I have reived a text from the local Electricity supplier stating that the meter has told them that there may be a power outage at our property! Can anyone explain why all the info is being sent to OVO/Electricity supplier but not sending meter readings. In addition the IDU has not had any connection during all this episode.

Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi, our smart meter stopped sending meter readings back in Nov ‘23. This has happened before so I was not overly concerned and sent my meter readings manually. Conversations with OVO were carried out and a date was agreed to replace the E meter on 25 Jan ‘24. The engineer came ok, tried resetting the modem by removing the service fuse but to no avail so the meter required changing, problem was the meter is outside and it was raining so no meter change. This I understand as a retired Electrical Engineer. Now comes the weird part. Over all this time my OVO web site account shows daily usage of both E & G. And I have reived a text from the local Electricity supplier stating that the meter has told them that there may be a power outage at our property! Can anyone explain why all the info is being sent to OVO/Electricity supplier but not sending meter readings. In addition the IDU has not had any connection during all this episode.

Thanks.

These pages will show estimates if there are no smart meter readings getting through 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=monthly&unit=kwh

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=yearly&unit=kwh&date=2024-01-23

This one won't 

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=daily&unit=kwh

If smart readings are getting through you will see a readings with the word smart next to it

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

I already know the reading detail, I just wondered how usage can be sent but not meter readings. Are they separate systems?

Userlevel 7
Badge

It’s worth checking perhaps that your account hasn’t mysteriously been changed to request monthly readings only, instead of the half-hourly you may prefer. There’s some strange relationship between this single setting and the two data sets it refers to: usage data and meter readings. Any major change to the meter (which might include disconnecting and reconnecting it as your engineer did) seems able to reset this option. 

You may be able to check and change the setting online if you see the Path to zero menu item. Some monthly-reading customers found a button on one of the underlying pages allowing them to change to half-hourly readings. Otherwise, it’s a call to Support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I already know the reading detail, I just wondered how usage can be sent but not meter readings. Are they separate systems?

It is separate data.

The 30min consumption data that is transmitted to ovo on here isn't added up to make the data on any other page.

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=daily&unit=kwh

So these pages use different data from the meter

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=monthly&unit=kwh

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=yearly&unit=kwh

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

You are only ever billed what you see on here and it will always be clear what is from the meter as it will say Smart.

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

It is possible that customers can't see both 30min consumption data and the register data you see on the meter reading page for example if there is a problem.

If you can see 30 min data on the Day tab this will be from the meter, it is never estimated 

The  other usage tabs could contain real or estimated data.

Thank you for the info. Very interesting. Just need another booking for the replacement meter now.