Solved

Lost Connection - Smart Meters not sending meter readings and no data on In-Home Display (IHD) - Why?

• 6 September 2017
  • 123 replies

Show first post

123 replies

I moved to OVO in the Summer and was delighted to be able to see my half hourly usage - my smart meter was doing it’s job. 

Suddenly it stopped talking to OVO and hasn’t sent a meter reading for the last couple of months, meaning I have to do it manually which is a faf. One more thing to remember. 

I’ve looked at the help and it seems that the meters sometimes just play up and it should right itself but this isn’t very satisfactory. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to get this sorted?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Can you post photos of the meter please? We’ll see what we can figure out!

Userlevel 7

Hey @H29,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

Sorry to hear your smart meter’s not being very smart! Let’s try and get this sorted for you.

You haven’t mentioned whether your smart meter is SMETS1 or SMETS2 so I’ll send you both the smart meter health checks:

Hope this helps. 

I have the same problem of smart m not connecting to OVO. I have done the health check and OVO response is we have 45 days to sort it!!!! Really?

Userlevel 7

Hey @Scalpaynewbie,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had.

You’ve done the right thing in filling out a smart meter health check, this will help us diagnose the issue. 

It can take a while to resolve these issues remotely, if the team are unable to do so, they will be in contact to book an engineer appointment. Hang tight, our team will be doing all they can to get this fixed for you.

In the meantime, we have a live billing system on the Online Account. So whenever you submit a meter reading, your account balance will update within 24-48 hours. We have a great tutorial you might find helpful:

Hope this helps. 

I already use the meter reading on the app which works. But the billing seems to use ridiculously low estimated consumption of 10kwhr. I wanted it to be increased to the most likely of 25Kwhr. 
the smart meter worked just fine when SSE/OVO were the supplier. As soon as OVO went stand alone in August…communications stopped. 
does the commes module need reset or rebooted?

Hi @Emmanuelle_OVO

Judging by the photos I have a SMET 1 meter. 
I’ve gone through the Smart Check and there isn’t anything that is flagging as an alarm.  The meter seems to have just stopped sending readings. 

Please can you advise how I get OVO to look at this and resolve it?

Thanks
Helen

Is this SMET1 or 2 please.

Userlevel 7

That’s a SMETS2 L&G smart meter, @Scalpaynewbie - although I can’t work out if the comms hub is arqiva. What do you think, @Blastoise186.

@H29 is the WAN light flashing to indicate it’s connected? Pass these results on to our Support team so they can figure out what the next steps are.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It does indeed look like an EDMI Standard 420 Comms Hub used on the Arqiva WAN. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @H29 !

Would you like my help with identifying your meter? Pop some photos of it in this thread and I’ll be able to help you out. :)

The Wan and HAn are both flashing at same time with a 5 sec interval

Userlevel 7

Thanks for confirming those WAN and HAN lights, @Scalpaynewbie - that’s a good sign. No signal issues between us and the meter.  

I think this is something our smart team need to look at, and I can see it’s already been raised to them from your first message in this thread. There’s a few things that it might be, all behind the scenes, so we can’t tell and neither can you from being there by the meter. 

Please bear with them whilst they get to your request. You’ll be able to submit manual meter readings monthly (or whenever you want an accurate bill) via your online account.

I am now using “Loop Energy “ app which links with DCC data and is working fine and accurate with consumption info and cost. 
so problem with OVO must be internal App and web site conversion of data. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Scalpaynewbie,

I’m glad you are able to use the Loop Energy app to see your usage. 

It sounds like the communication issues seem to be between the meter and OVO. 

It’s with the right team so hopefully this should get sorted soon! 

I have had no smart meter readings shown on my online account for my electric meter since 22nd Aug and my gas meter since 23rd Sept. I have had to do manual readings. I do not want to continue to do manual readings. How is this fixed?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Can you post photos of the meters please @RonnieG ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ok… That doesn’t look good. Try pressing any button on the electric meter. Does the screen light up at all?

Yes, I can get readings to send to OVO but I would rather they were sent automatically.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for this info, @RonnieG. Meter display screens will be blank as a sleep mode setting unless a button is pressed, so that’s all good. 

See our guide here on SMETS1 smart meters (that’s yours), and how to diagnose communication issues:

If you diagnose the issue, please send this to our Support team so they can take it on. 

Please can anyone tell me what model my gas meter is? I’ve had it for m around three years  when my previous one which had completely stopped working was replaced. This one has now stopped sending readings to ovo. ( it wasn’t new when it replaced previous one) My IHD HASNT WORKED FOR 4 YEARS. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

That is a SMETS1 Secure Liberty EG4v 10. It was manufactured in 2017 and appears to be a refurbished unit.

Give https://smart-meter-help.ovoenergy.com/ a try.

Thank you for the reply. This has been going on for so long and difficult for us to access the meters. Might make it easier now I know which model I have. First joined OVO 2011 and no problems until 2018