Skip to main content
Solved

Lost Connection - Smart Meters not sending meter readings and no data on In-Home Display (IHD) - Why?

• 6 September 2017
  • 174 replies

My Smart Meters (Electricity+Gas) were installed 1 week ago along with an In Home Display (IHD). The IHD on day 2 lost connection and I have not been able to get it back since. I have gone online and confirmed that no readings are being sent so at present there is nothing smart about it, unfortunately. The Smart meters do not come with any instructions neither does the IHD (in-built tutorial is basic only). Pressing 9 on the Electricity meter turns the digital display on (they have power saving displays) and presents the data you would expect to see on the IHD e.g. used today, used last week etc. There are no issues with my Wi-Fi. I have gone on-line to reset my browser and that doesn't work. I have used WPS and manual key entry to connect the IHD to my Wi-Fi and although it recognizes my ISP (~Sky) it is still not working. Currently, I'm unsure if it is not connected to the Wi-Fi or if it cannot connect to the meters themselves (instructions would help). IHD is within 20 metres of the Smart Meters and within Wi-Fi range. I have fixed bars on the IHD. Question: How does a user get their IHD reconnected or confirm Meters are not working properly?

174 replies

Abby_OVO,

The photos were emailed to the email address that was with the person whose name was on it. Having checked some of the other emails have come from different email address’s. 

The photos are attached.

JenM

Page 1
Page 2

Userlevel 6

Thanks @JenM 

It sounds like it’s being handled by what we call your squad. This is your dedicated team of people, so if you were to contact again in future, you’d get the same team again dealing with the query.

Have you heard anything back from the team on this yet? 

Thanks @JenM 

It sounds like it’s being handled by what we call your squad. This is your dedicated team of people, so if you were to contact again in future, you’d get the same team again dealing with the query.

Have you heard anything back from the team on this yet? 

Abby_OVO,

No I have not heard anything if you have any influence would be grateful.

Userlevel 6

Hey @JenM 

We don’t have access to accounts here at the Forum so I wouldn’t be able to know what squad you fall under.

They’ll be able to look at the photos in the email immediately if you were to open a live chat with the Support Team and they’ve be able to review them, and do some things on the spot with you there - they often have questions so live chat can be the best option when dealing with IHDs as they sometimes need you to do things like turn it off for them.

Let us know how you get on with speaking to the team.

Abby_OVO,

I will have to wait until Monday as a bit busy at the moment.

Userlevel 7

Hey @JenM,

Have you had any updates on this issue?

If not, please pop back & we can get forum_support to reach out.

Emmanuelle_OVO,

I have not heard anything whatsoever I was going to ring but have been really busy so haveen’t spoken to them yet and I think it my be the end of the week before I get a chance so if you can get help would be grateful.

Userlevel 7

I’ll get this raised to forum_support @JenM, please keep an eye on your private messages.

PM received and reply sent

Userlevel 3

Was horrified today to see on the app that no readings have been sent since May 22nd. There has been no indication of this on the app and daily usage has been showing. I don't understand it, but would have no idea how to fix it and really am not comfortable interfering with anything like this. Any suggestions? This is the type of smart meter I have. Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Technophobe ,

We can try to help with this, but I need to ask you what the WAN and HAN LEDs are doing first.

Could you let me know as this guides my advice - once I have that info, I’ll update you on what direction I’d like to take this.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3

I've no idea what these are. Sorry! 

Userlevel 3

Have found them. Both are flashing green at the same time wirh maybe a four or five second gap between flashes 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks - that eliminates a LOT of possibilities.

Next thing to do, is please could you run a lookup via https://homebrew.n3rgy.com and tell me if you see any Errors or Warnings. Be careful not to post personal info like your address or MPAN/MPRN on the Forum because this tool WILL show them in the results!

Userlevel 3

"DCC reply not available" is all it says.

Userlevel 3

Sorry. Did you mean to put tha4 information in when using the tool, just not to put it on here? 

I'm.a 72 year old pensioner with M.E. and just hopeless at this sort of thing, but it gets very stressful. 

Userlevel 3

Ah, I have found these numbers on my billing. Phew!

Please confirm it's ok to put them into the tool, just not on here? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No that’s fine - the info that’s already on the Forum is now all I need to know. But I didn’t expect that error to come back…

It sounds like something’s gone badly wrong here and fixing this may be beyond OVO’s own control. Try putting the MPAN and MPRN into the tool again now and see what you get back. It’s OK to put them into that tool - just not on the Forum unless you want me (and the entire Internet!) to be able to identify your exact home address.

Userlevel 3

I'll do that ASAP, but not immediately.

I have not moved, changed or adjusted anything.

Things are exactly as they were when set up late last year and, if my memory serves me, was a mere continuation of an existing supply to the previous occupamt.

Userlevel 3

Ok.

I decided to tackle it as have gotten so anxious.

There are three warnings, all with energy supplier responsibility.

1. Electricity meter. Security expired 29/0524. Security certification has already expired.

2. Gas meter. Expires 11/10/24. Certification will expire in three months or has already expired.

3. In Home Display. Firmware is older than expected,  greater than 5.

It's made clear it's the energy supplier's responsibility on all three.

As well as my age and chronic health condition, my dear son suddenly and completely unexpectedly passed away in February which may account for any "negligence" on my part. What now? Thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Those are just Warnings rather than Errors - they’re not actually of that much concern and wouldn’t be the root cause of this issue. I’ve seen tons of meters spit those out and still work fine.

I’ll be back shortly

Userlevel 4

Hi @Technophobe,

I’m sorry to hear this.

It seems our forum volunteer has already given some good advice here. 

It may be worth reaching out to our Support team so that they can look into this further for you. 

Please keep us updated with how you get on.

Userlevel 3

I don't know who has triggered OVO engineers to come out to check what's wrong, but I'm truly grateful. The lady who booked the visits for next month as the earliest said she had tried at her end and had failed to find things working. Onwards!

Important to repeat, I have not touched, changed, moved or adjusted anything. It's all exactly as it has always been.

Thanks again.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Technophobe 

Sorry to hear about this issue you’re having but I’m glad to see you’ve had lots of help here already, and I’m glad to here the team will be sending an engineer out to take a look. 

Keep us updated with how that goes.