F.A.Q.

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?

Show first post

264 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you don’t like the live billing, you can just ignore it. You’ll still get your usual statements every month anyway.

It might just be you need some time to get used to it - a lot of OVO Members actually quite enjoy the live billing model!

It sounds like you had the £66 government money go through your OVO account. You’ll see that in your bank account soon.

Badge +1

This looks reasonably straightforward to me. If your balance was £48 4 or 5 days ago, £66 will have been added under the government’s support scheme. That would have given you a £114 balance which has reduced now to £106 as per your energy usage.

I find the live billing quite useful...

Thank you l had another look but no payment of £66 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It will be shown in Charges in detail as Energy Bill Support Scheme -£66 which is a negative charge ie a payment in. 

What is opening and closing debit balance? Do we have to pay, and why is it so expensive. I paid £215 closing balance previously, and now I’ve got to pay around £300 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can you show a screenshot of your bill summary - no personal details as this is a public forum - we’ll see what’s what..

Also it would be good to know your meter readings are up to date and you bills aren’t based on estimates. Have you sent a meter reading recently or do you have a smart meter? 

It says if current balance is zero, ignore giro slip 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @Rgrg So this is the situation: 

your electricity plus gas plus vat come to £162.03 for the bill period shown. The good news is that you have received the government payment of £66 so your bill is actually for £96.03

However, you already owed £212 and with this bill added you now owe a total of £308.03

You must check whether the meter readings are estimated, if they are you may not be charged the right amount !!! Look on the next pages of the bill under ‘Meter readings’ It will probably have two separate entries as the price changed on 1st October. The important one will be the most recent reading for 25th October as that’s the bill end date.

Sorry for such a long answer !! Let me know how you get on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You can see on here that my bill which goes to 2nd October says ‘Reading’ on the line with that date, that’s what you’re looking for 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Rgrg , as @juliamc says, knowing that the readings are accurate is the first thing. 
The second thing that I don’t understand is on your payments. 

This may make sense to you but it suggests that you didn’t make a payment during the month .. if you did, this needs to be checked as well

@BPLightlog 

I did make a payment, so I’m confused. Might have to ring them and make an enquiry about it 

@BPLightlog 

@juliamc 

thank you for your help and advice, appreciate it!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Do check the meter reading before you call - if this bill is calculated on an estimate they can probably send an updated one which may be less (hopefully!).

Save you having to phone twice. 

Badge

Just recieved a bill dating 7th Sept - 6th October, gave them a meter reading on the 7th November and this bill is dated the 11th November, pay a monthly amount and in credit, but I can’t make any sense of these bills. We never had this problem with SSE, gave the meter readings every month and they gave the amount owed, always in credit with them, still in credit with OVO, but have no idea what is going on, all our friends are saying move supplier they hear nothing good about OVO, can anyone explain please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @gletley there are lots of customers who are happy with OVO so don’t go yet !! You may even get to like it here. Is your main concern that your bill appears to relate to last month ? What dates are the meter readings used on the bill ? Are you paying by direct debit ? 

Badge

It says closing reading 7th November on the electric, closing reading 7th November on the gas.

No we don’t pay by direct debit, we pay in an amount every month and are in credit.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Sounds good. Is this your first bill from OVO ? When we’re you migrated from SSE ?

Userlevel 7

Hey @gletley,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Are you able to send a screenshot of the bill (not including personal details) and specify which bit is confusing you. 

We can then try and explain it, the best way of describing OVO’s billing is that it’s like a bank account. You have in-goings (what you’ve paid) and out-goings (how much you’ve used). If there was money left over from the last bill that would be ‘charges bought forward’.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

I see that nobody else has commented on the bizarre and budget-defying presentation of bills since September this year.  I present a snapshot of my  bills:

Aug - Sept -  £50

Sept - Oct- no charges

Oct- Nov £24

Nov -Dec interim -£166

Normal presentation

Actually £65.99

Actually £90

Warm house discount

There seems to be an inability with OVO AI to make use of the TOTAL function for the charges before including the spurios in/out money as part of the bill.  This means the onous is now on the client to get a calculator to calculate their bill.

I would levy the same charge against OVO AI in calculating direct debit. Give a TOTAL after estimated usage and then present the value of debit/credit value to arrive at the value that the direct debit calculation is based on.

It is all very well to say that pay-as-you-go customers need higher tariffs because of ‘extra administration’, but I am sure that they also receive sensible bills. What do I get for all the time and effort required  for my ‘extra administration’  to interpret my bills?

The upside to this is that as OVO AI is held in reverence by customer service, I can now hold these bills produced by the same OVO AI to demonstrate that my bills (for at least the next 3 months) will show that I have spent maybe only £200-£300 instead of the £1000+ it initially calculated.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Spikey and thanks for this feedback. 

I’d love to get some help from you to fully understand what you’re seeing vs what you’d expect. that table above, where are you seeing the figures on both rows? Do you have a smart meter? If you do, how often does it send us your readings do you know?

Userlevel 1

Towards the bottom of the Home page is Your Bills where the latest 4 months bills are displayed.

Ideally this should be organised such that merely reading left-to-right, the actual cost of energy is displayed.

The Aug- Sept bill has standing charges, usage charges, 5% Vat and the result is then displayed  in the Aug- Sept box.

The problems arise subsequent to Sept. where direct debit customers like me had £66 passing through the account, with NET ZERO effect on the bill.  So displayed is standing charges, usage charges, 5% Vat -£66 and the result is then displayed  in the Sept -Oct box. Although not ideal, OVO could be forgiven if there was a TOTAL of charges prior to subtracting the £66.

This problem is compounded in Dec. with the warm home discount of £150 being subtracted as well, which gives rise to the ludicrous situation of a bill being presented as maybe £160 in credit .

SSE used to add the WHD to the current surplus.  Where the company is being used as a conduit for transferring customer money, it has no role in being subtracted from the bill.

Userlevel 7

Got it, thanks @Spikey

This is good feedback, and much appreciated. Are you happy if I convert this into a feature idea for the online account? It will end up here and give people the chance to vote up the idea. 

For context this section of the homepage also links to the Billing History section which provides a full breakdown and a summary per month.