F.A.Q.

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?

Show first post

264 replies

Because they're smarter than you think ;-))

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you DON’T have Smart Meters, the only way to get accurate meter reading is via submitting manual readings. This can be done either by:

• The customer via any acceptable method offered by the supplier
  • Someone submitting on the customers behalf with their permission
  • A meter reader doing a visit
  • An engineer visit - such as during a meter swap
  • Scheduled appointments via the Priority Services Register

If you don’t do any of these, you’ll have estimated readings and these will never be accurate.

Has anyone else been getting two statements for each month ?  with a different amount charged on each statement ?  I am very confused by this and don’t know which statement to trust.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I have occasionally had an updated monthly bill with a change. The last one was to include a government rebate payment missed on the earlier bill. The later one should replace the earlier - you should see the relevant version on your account online. 
https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-history

Money is coming out of my account daily once I pay for my bill will this money go back into my account such as a live account 

I don't pay by direct debit just monthly so it's saying I am in debt does this void out once I get my bill at the end of the month 

Need some clarity please 

Has anyone had this issue 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It does yes, as long as you pay off what you owe each month

Userlevel 1

My billing period ended on the 17 Jan and I had a closing balance, but today it changed to a bit lower, how can that happen if a billing period has ended and the bill produced!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Li65sa ,

It’s likely to have been adjusted for something like Calorific Value updates to the gas consumption. This is normal so I wouldn’t worry too much.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Li65sa,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

It may be as @Blastoise186 suggested the Calorific Value updating the gas consumption. Or, if you’re looking at your Online Account your account balance would update because of our live billing system which updates every time we get a meter reading and accordingly to your standing charge you pay daily.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

I did speak to someone today who explained it as how it would work on my next billing period so I get it now! So if I had a closing balance of 160.00 the 67 is deducted from that leaving 93.00 my direct debit then goes out on the 2nd of 204.00 leaving a credit of 111, then 67 is then added back to balance leaving a credit of 44.00 and 67 refunded into bank, I hope that is how it will work lol 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Li65sa,

We have some great topics that explain in more detail how the Energy Bills Support Scheme payment will appear on the account:

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Scrowe,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

If you pay on demand, you pay when you receive your monthly statement. Live billing is helpful because it allows you to see what your monthly bill is set to be and how much you’re using in between billing cycles. If you submit a meter reading to your Online Account, the account balance will update accordingly within 24-48 hours.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 1

My billing periods end on the 17 of the month and my direct debits go out on the 2nd of every month so between those dates my balance will increase with charges but will my direct debit only clear what my closing balance is or will it clear what the whole balance is on that day, if it does clear the whole balance that seems a bit off as surely any charges from 18th of the month should be charged on the next billing period 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

My billing periods end on the 17 of the month and my direct debits go out on the 2nd of every month so between those dates my balance will increase with charges but will my direct debit only clear what my closing balance is or will it clear what the whole balance is on that day, if it does clear the whole balance that seems a bit off as surely any charges from 18th of the month should be charged on the next billing period 

Generally the billing tries to compensate for a higher usage in winter and a lower usage in summer so that initially it looks like too much but works out over the whole year

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO’s Direct Debits aren’t variable, so they won’t clear literally all the balance at once. However, as long as you keep them active and paying off the DD each month, you will ultimately end up paying off everything you owe by the end of the contract anyway. :)

When is my next bill?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Rita Franca ,

I’m sorry, but I’m afraid this question is account-specific and I’m not allowed to access your account.

However, if you go into MyOVO via https://my.ovoenergy.com and login, you’ll see an option on the left for Billing History. Go into that and you should see how many days are left on the current billing cycle. That’ll give you an idea of when the next bill is coming. :)

I made a payment for Last Months bill, but OVO put the amount in This "Months Account" as a top up payment.

Will they move it back?

I don't like their App, it has no dedicated tag for bill payment,  just payment, that could mean either. 

Confusing!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

If you made a payment to your account that’s at least equal to any outstanding bills by the due date, those bills will be considered as paid off, regardless of where the payment shows up in the billing cycles.

Thank you for your reply, its very much appreciated!

Userlevel 1

Another question is my billing period ended on the 17 Feb and my charges and closing balance were calculated on the 18th, today 2nd March they have increased, only by 94p but I don’t get how that can happen 10 days after a billing period has ended!, customer services even said they used the reading on the 18th to generate bill! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you have Gas, that’s probably to finalise the Calorific Values which won’t have been available at the time the initial bill was generated.

Userlevel 1

Oh right, bit  misleading though, was only 94p but could have been more

Userlevel 1

My IHD goes blank after midnight, is this because I have economy 7, my meter shows it has changed to 2nd rate after midnight though

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

My IHD goes blank after midnight, is this because I have economy 7, my meter shows it has changed to 2nd rate after midnight though

There’s a setting for the display to ‘sleep’ so that it doesn’t disturb people if in the same room. You should be able to wake it up if you need to