F.A.Q.

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?

OVO Energy Live billing platform and monthly summaries - What do I need to know?

Show first post

260 replies

Userlevel 1

Sure

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice idea this one! Just so you’re aware, you’ll automatically Upvote the idea once it’s converted and anyone who likes the first post in this thread will automatically get counted as well.

Hang in there for a bit and this question should magically become an Idea by the end of the week. :)

My bills run from the 4th of the month to the 5th of the month. If I send a meter reading on the 3rd of the month they will estimate my usage for the 4th. If this estimate is too high I will be overcharged. What happens to this overcharged money.

It will stay in your account and be used as needed probably on your next bill if the weather remains as cold as it is now. You do get 5% interest on any balance. If you’re paying too much you can adjust your direct debit payments if you pay that way. I can’t imagine an estimate for one day will be too excessive. Failing that you could ask for a refund I think all of this can be done through your account. I have made a few presumptions regarding your own account. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The interest is only on older accounts as ofgem decided it should be withdrawn on newer ones.

My balance at beginning of December was £450 . I phoned in November as my electricity readings weren’t showing, but I was assured they were getting readings and deducting accordingly. Now in December, suddenly I can see my electricity readings and my balance has reduced massively. Yet when I look through bills and monthly usage nothing has massively changed . Is this a software web issue so I’ve been doubly had electricity deducted from balance? I’m so stressed by this right now. Does any one else have the same?  I was assured by customer service they had up to date readings and were deducting accordingly 

I am wondering how the bill exactly calculated as I believe I pay over double to what I really should… Can someone kindly please advise and explain as I totally don’t get it?

Example on November 2022 bill.

05 Nov - 04 Dec - 30 days

Total charges £165.45

Electricity units used - 114

Gas units used - 130

According to my calculations based on the tariffs below I should be billed £78.05

Electricity per kWh - 35.23p

Electricity day standing charge - 47.95p

Gas per kWh - 10.71p

Gas day standing charge -31.93p

Thank you in advance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Your gas readings have to be adjusted to include a calorific value set by National grid so it’s not a straight forward multiplication. 
You should see this on your bill

Userlevel 7

Hey @Envirosam,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

It sounds like your readings weren’t updating on your Online Account which is why your usage wasn’t being deducted, and you started growing a large credit balance. Your readings are now showing and your account balance has updated accordingly. This might seem larger as it was a ‘catch up’ bill, as opposed to changing gradually each day.

The live billing is different from your monthly statements, you may have had your PDF statement produced but the live billing element of your account may have stopped working. If you have a smart meter could it be that we temporarily lost remote communications with your meters?

Hope this helps

Thank you I have spoken to an advisor today to investigate this as on 20/10 I called to confirm you were receiving readings which the the advisor confirmed was the case. A case has been raised with the billing team and also I have made a complaint. If it turns out to be a smart reader issue, I will insist it is removed from my property and I will submit monthly readings I can have confidence in. This has caused me considerable distress

Something weird is going on.

Usually my account shows around £200 credit - I've just logged in and it's showing I'm now £800 in credit !

.... which wouldn't generally have bothered me, perhaps its just a system glitch.

But, I've also just found an email from Ovo saying thanks for letting us know that you have moving out and that my energy account will cease on 4th December, oddly I received that today 16th.

Is anyone else seeing any very weird or unexplained activity on their my ovo account ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Sean Very North ,

This is an account specific issue and we can’t help with this on the forum. Please contact OVO directly via https://help.ovoenergy.com about it.

Hi @Sean Very North ,

This is an account specific issue and we can’t help with this on the forum. Please contact OVO directly via https://help.ovoenergy.com about it.

I wasn't expecting any info that directly related to my account, just an enquiry wondering if anyone else is seeing anything odd happening on their account, so I can then relax till Monday when I will contact customer services.

This forum seems to be staffed by "volunteers" who appears to be determined to prevent it actually being helpful to Ovo customers .…

Thanks for being absolutely zero help, whoever you are that'll moderate this comment - sad.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I generally prefer to use the term patrolled rather than staffed but that’s just personal preference and habit.

The only reason I’m recommending you talk to the Support Team rather than offering advice here, is that experience has taught me the kinds of things that can and can’t be handled via the OVO Forum and account specific issues fall into the latter category. If it is something we can answer here, we always try to do so. Your issue just happens to be beyond the scope of what the forum can do.

I’m not aware of any other recent reports of this issue on the forum either. If I do spot a trend, I can flag it up for attention, but I need more than one report to do so.

I’m one of 11 current Forum Volunteers who help out here. We don’t work for OVO ourselves but we are trusted to give advice and in return get extra forum permissions and the ability to talk to OVO staff who stop by to make it easier to achieve that goal. Other than that, we don’t get paid for our time.

In the interests of full disclosure though, we do sometimes get cool stuff as a token of thanks for helping out, but it’s usually just something like an OVO jumper or an invite to visit the offices. We’ve never been given money, discounts or gift cards in any form as a result of being on the forum and from what I understand, there’s no plans to do so anytime soon.

The only exception is that some users on the forum have had free products, but those are all related to the various trials and experiments that OVO does which are unrelated to the forum except for the forum being used as an easy place to talk about that stuff.

I'm not sure that my question warranted your essay as a response, but thanks for it anyways - here's a reminder of what my actual question was.

Is anyone else seeing any very weird or unexplained activity on their my ovo account ?

🙄

Userlevel 1

I made a payment to my account on 16/12 of £35 pounds… I checked my credit this morning 17/12  and its down to £5.82 credit. 

Can someone explain please? I’m just not getting how OVO calculates .. 

Thanks

Screenshot *Removed by Mod*

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Looking at the above, your energy costs were £183.25. You have had the government payment of £67 which reduces your charges to £116.25 and £67 has been refunded to you. 
All together with your direct debit of £128 and additional top up of £35 leaves £5.82 in your credit but you will also get the £67 refund which you can pay back into your account if you prefer

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

No

Userlevel 1

Something weird is going on.

Usually my account shows around £200 credit - I've just logged in and it's showing I'm now £800 in credit !

.... which wouldn't generally have bothered me, perhaps its just a system glitch.

But, I've also just found an email from Ovo saying thanks for letting us know that you have moving out and that my energy account will cease on 4th December, oddly I received that today 16th.

They seem to have a major issue at the moment … my balance is out by £95.65 (conveniently in OVO’s favour … of course). My detailed breakdown of charges is wildly different to the energy summary  - the energy summary says I have used 217.7kWh of gas, (which is correct) yet the detailed breakdown of charges shows 976.484kWh. There is a similar discrepancy for electricity.

I have never seen such a shambles … and it doesn’t help that the OVO user interface is so poorly designed and counter-intuitive that one can be forgiven for suspecting that it is designed to gaslight customers.

In my experience, when something like this happens it is some sort of major database corruption and table entries have been linked to the wrong accounts.

Userlevel 1

I’m not aware of any other recent reports of this issue on the forum either. If I do spot a trend, I can flag it up for attention, but I need more than one report to do so.

You now have two.

Energy summaries and charging detail don’t tally … in my case the charging is almost 450% above the correct energy use in the energy summary.

Looks like the database is corrupted and I have my own energy summary but someone else’s charging detail.

Hello my acount for gas and electric is from 25 to 24 following month so when l check what my bill is  the meter only says month 24 not the week from the previus month so how can i check my monthly bill there must be a way but l cant work it out l have explained this as bestl can thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @jackrussell I look at my account on the OVO app but if I understand what you want correctly, you could look at the previous month, deduct what is part of the previous months bill and add the remainder to your current month up to 24th. 

Although, the only real way to check your bill is with meter readings and your kWh unit rate

How do they know my energy usage when I don’t have a smart meter 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Your usage will be estimated unless you provide meter readings