Solved

I've been asked to submit some meter readings - how do I read my smart meter?

• 27 May 2017
  • 5 replies

Hi,

This is probably obvious, but I have been asked to submit my dual readings but now have smart meters and can't find the relavent values to send.

I thought having a smart meter fitted meant that the readings would send automatically.

Please help!

Thanks very much

Nick
icon

Best answer by Mattj3135 28 May 2017, 05:00

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6

Updated on 10/02/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

For SMETS1 ‘Secure’ smart meters:

There’s a slight difference between the the S1 meters we installed. To take a dual (day/night) reading for Secure Liberty 110 S1 smart meters (which are designed to work best with storage heaters), press 9 on the meter’s keypad. If you’ve got a Secure Liberty 100 S1 smart meter, press 6 to confirm the Day and Night meter readings (pressing 9 will show the reading if you’re a single rate member with this meter).

For SMETS2 Aclara, Flonidan, Honeywell or Elster smart meters:

Aclara (Elec) / Flonidan (Gas) Elster (Elec) / Honeywell (Gas)
Reading the meter
  • Elec: Press A three times until TOU Rate 1 appears.
  • Gas: Press C to wake up, then C to access the menu. Use B to scroll and C to select the reading option.
  • Elec: Press the top button once or twice
  • Gas: Press the circle button once or twice

Once you’ve taken the reading you can submit it on the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your online account or on the OVO app (Download for Android or iOS)

Worried that your smart meter has lost communication? You can help diagnose this by following the smart meter health check for your meter type below, then reaching out to the Support team:

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check guide

The SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7
Hope @Mattj3135 helped you, @Nickholder - that OVO Answers page will explain this better then any of us.

I've changed the title and added some tags to this topic - I recon there will be loads of users with the same query and I want them to find Matt's answer!

Tim

Finally capitulated to Ovo’s haranguing and had a smart meter installed.

The electric meter works fine, but the gas readings weren’t being sent to Ovo. The advice on the ‘help’ page is to send in the reading myself. I was refusing to do this on the grounds that it defeats the purpose of having a smart meter.

But I’ve just checked the gas meter in the garage, and there is no reading on the front of it at all now, so I couldn’t send a reading if I tried.

Where has the gas reading gone?

Why has a brand new ‘smart’ meter gone dumb?

Notes:

• Meter was installed 27/10/21
  • Electric and Gas meters are in two separate places in the house, but on the same ground floor
  • Gas meter is UNIFLO G4SZV-2
  • There are A, B,  and C buttons on the gas meter, but what they do I have no idea because we weren’t given a manual for it
  • Now have no way of knowing if the billing is correct or not, because cannot see the readings
  • The display device to show how many kw used and what price for both meters doesn’t give a readout for the gas either

Any ideas?

Update: Have managed to get a display on the smart meter of the reading. However it’s still not sending readings out, so this is still an issue.

Basically the problem now is, why has it not been sending readings for several months?

Can we just reboot it somehow?

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear of the problems you’ve been having with your new smart meters, @Topaz.

Sounds like you’ve now managed to figure out how to take that gas meter reading manually, but if you did need some help:

Gas:  Press C to wake up, then C to access the menu. Use B to scroll and C to select the reading option.

By submitting this reading on your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) you can make sure that your usage charges are up-to date and accurate.

As you mention the meters were installed in October, we’d expect that the inistialising would now be complete (this can take up to 6 weeks from the date the meters were fitted.) In which case we might have to do some further checks to diagnose what might be causing the communication difficulties. We’ve got a full guide to our ‘Smart Meter Health Check’ below:

We’d recommend carrying out these checks and forwarding the results to our Support Team, who’ll be able to advise on the next steps to get things sorted.

Hope this helps get things back on track!