Solved

Why is my overnight usage shown on my smart meter In Home Display (IHD) so high?

• 29 September 2017
  • 82 replies

Show first post

82 replies

Userlevel 1

Just curious…

Why when I got up this morning my electric smart meter reading already says 67 p when nothing electric was used overnight.. ? According to my ovo account standing charge is 48.25p a day? These days every bit counts.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That seems about right @Amerififer 

Assuming you are on the variable tariff, once the standing charge is taken off you would have used about half a kWh.

It may be worth checking what the smart meter displays as being used 'Now' when you go to bed / wake up to see what your baseload is (always plugged in items such as fridge/freezer etc.) 100W an hour would still add up to over half a kWh overnight.

Userlevel 1

Why when i just got up does my smart meter show gas usage of over £7 overnight???? Heating was set to 12.5C. We did have a dusting of snow.. Is it actually possible for that much usage to keep it at 12.5??? 

Seems wildly high to me.. 

Hi, I am having the same issue smart meter reads £2.39 (switch it off and on still reads £2.39).  Normally at this time 5am states £0.69.  Happened yesterday as well, was cold so assumed it was the system frost protection kicking in, but warmer tonight so now think it’s an OVO malfunction.   

Also, had no Daily Gas readings on the OVO app since 11th December - alerted OVO but no reply as yet ☹️

Userlevel 1

Have had same issues..  been a few days since gas reading has shown up. Gas meter rarely accurate… always seems to have trouble with daily readings.. Soooo frustrating.. I mean what is the point of having a smart meter if it doesn’t do the job?.. It has NO issues with the electric.. Let me know if you hear anything.. 

I’ve tried to contact them in the past.. very frustrating experience.. 

Will do I have sent OVO an email and a Twitter 1:1 chat but no response  

This graph shown shows usage of using less energy during the hours of 6pm to 9pm having multiple lights on which all are incandescent lightbulbs, dryer constantly going as the washer machine was to, having my wells pump being used, 55” tv on with energy saver off listing to youtube music video through a 5.1 surround sound speakers with a 10” self powered sub. While my fridge, deep freezer, internet modem and router which are constantly running in the background 24/hrs a day. Then when all is dark being asleep I used two to four times more energy until my waking up and it drops as soon as i turn a light on. Cant seem to get a reasonable explanation. Either Duke is flat out rapping me while i sleep which now waking up i feel so dirty or paranormal activity is occurring which i should be responsible to pay what energy it uses since dukes dirty electric is  How theyre entering my home. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Are you in America ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, I just checked. Duke Energy is a US company mostly serving North Carolina and the surrounding areas by the looks of things.

For forum moderation purposes, the post appears to be legitimate and I’ve been able to verify Duke Energy as being a legitimate US power company.

Yes, Ohio and Im legit and thats a legit snap shot of  of my energy bill ,being ripped off as this happens every day, same time frame and while asleep. Just became aware of this and its been going on for sometime. Ill be flipping off the main breaker tonight to see what happens. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Is it a time zone thing ? Your graph doesn’t show a y axis ie what the values are for the vertical bars. Do you have more info ?

I am really concerned that my overnight electricity usage is as high through the night when relatively speaking not much on as it is through the day  - this has only happened recently and I am very suspicious / I have been checking my smart meter for months and this has just started to form a pattern - I will keep on with this - anyone else noticed this please let me know 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Can you post a screenshot of the usage graph from your MyOVO account showing a full day please? We could give it a look and may spot something…

I cannot get an OVO account as I do not have and never have had an OVO pay as you go card - I do have screen shots of the meter 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah, sorry - I didn’t realise you had a payg meter. 

Userlevel 7

Hey @Nana g,

Sorry for the issues you’re having, 

We don’t have access to your account on the Forum, OVO PAYG would be best placed to look into your query. You can call them on 0330 175 9669. 

Thank you when I get a spare couple of hours I’ll try and speak to them 

I have been on web chat which is a conversation with a computer and didn’t understand that I needed a top up card to register - the phone was of no use I was still no 37 in a queue - this has to be the worst customer I have encountered - why can no one just send me a card ??!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I wish we could !! I think you’ll just have to stick to the phone queue. 37 is a lot nearer the head of the queue than it would be on a Monday. 

Good afternoon.

I got my smart meter installed yesterday, with an In-Home Display. 

I started taking notes of how much I’m spending. I started by 3 in the afternoon, did the things I usually do - basically, making coffee, using the microwave and my computer. There were lights turned on - not much, cause I’m usually in the dark anyway, and the freezer. 

By the time I went to bed (around 10 at night), I had spent around 40p. And I thought, “Surely, the amount will be the same when I get up (5 in the morning), or maybe a few p less”

To my surprise, when I looked at the screen of the IHD, I had spent 60p - more than during the day.

I realise I’m probably sounding really cheap right now, but is there an explanation as to why it spent more during the night, when I used no electricity at all?...

Good afternoon.

I got my smart meter installed yesterday, with an In-Home Display. 

I started taking notes of how much I’m spending. I started by 3 in the afternoon, did the things I usually do - basically, making coffee, using the microwave and my computer. There were lights turned on - not much, cause I’m usually in the dark anyway, and the freezer. 

By the time I went to bed (around 10 at night), I had spent around 40p. And I thought, “Surely, the amount will be the same when I get up (5 in the morning), or maybe a few p less”

To my surprise, when I looked at the screen of the IHD, I had spent 60p - more than during the day.

I realise I’m probably sounding really cheap right now, but is there an explanation as to why it spent more during the night, when I used no electricity at all?...

Userlevel 7
Badge

You’re most probably seeing the standing charge, which is added to the daily cost sometime after midnight. I’m surprised that this extra ~50p wasn’t added yesterday, but that may always be the case for a newly-installed meter. You’ll see it inexorably every day from now on.

You might get a better idea of your usage patterns if you look at the kWh figures rather than the cost.

Oh, so there’s a 50p charge daily?  I didn’t know that.

That probably explains it. 

Thanks, Firedog.

And sorry for the other topic. Yes, I posted the same question twice because I realised it would be better adding tags.

I’m new here, still learning… thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge

No problem 🙂

You’ll find some useful information (not all of it completely up to date, sadly) about what OVO charges you on this page

If your online account is up and running, you can see the details of your own tariff on the Plan page. That will show you what the standing charge is per day (ex VAT at 5%).