Solved

Why is my overnight usage shown on my smart meter In Home Display (IHD) so high?

• 29 September 2017
  • 82 replies

Show first post

82 replies

Userlevel 7

Hey @Cid293,

Welcome to the OVO online Community,

I can see Firedog has given a very helpful answer here. Just wanted to add that you might find the ‘Energy Tracker’ useful:

Hi. My smart meter reading this morning is £3.10 despite no gas on overnight & only essential electrical stuff plugged in. Tried switching meter off & on but it still reads the same-any ideas? Thanks. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @karenitaylor ,

The IHD is only a guide, it’s not used for billing. If you need to check the actual billing stuff, that’ll be in MyOVO.

Please show us photos of both your IHD and meter.

Hi @karenitaylor ,

The IHD is only a guide, it’s not used for billing. If you need to check the actual billing stuff, that’ll be in MyOVO.

Please show us photos of both your IHD and meter.

My smart meter has now corrected itself about 0930 but the initial amount of £3.10 doesn’t even resemble yesterday’s usage. Have checked meter readings online & they seem to be in line with usual usage. Maybe I just need new smart meter as this one must be well over 10yrs old. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see, an eight year old SMETS1 Elster and an SSE Smart Energy Tracker, otherwise known as the IHDL SmartView1… Hmm…

I’d say keep an eye on it for now. If you keep having trouble, feel free to stop by again and we’ll think this one through more deeply.

Userlevel 7

Hey @karenitaylor,

If your meter is set to half hourly readings, it may be worth using the Online Account or App instead to check your usage as it’ll be more accurate: