Solved

OVO SMETS2 smart meter communication - what do the WAN, HAN lights mean?

• 11 April 2020
  • 69 replies

Show first post

69 replies

Apologies but I do not understand much of the technical stuff - all I know is that one day it was working fine then next day electricity disappeared. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Chissy23- that’s fine. You’ve given good feedback. Let’s leave the rest for OVO’s engineers to look into. They will be able to check when and why your online data ceased being available.

Yes, @Mikeovo - I’m just pondering why your IHD isn’t able to display weekly/monthly data which it apparently knew yesterday!

There’s lots I don’t know about how data gets passed between the on-site devices.

Next time I visit OVO’s Bristol HQ I’m going to see if I can pick some engineering brains and translate that knowledge into diagrams. But with the pandemic lockdown  that won’t be for a long while yet.

For the sake of others who come across this Topic in the next few weeks, I will just post here again the current version of my SMETS diagram because that will save them having to move elsewhere around the Forum.

The different colours of radiated signal above each aerial denote the networks:

Hopefully that will help others see what we’re talking about!

Userlevel 6

Hello Gang….

I know it’s not along the lines of the Smart Meter problem but I appear to have a problem with the V2G charger. My numbers don’t tally.

I’ve been on Furlough for 40 days...even before the Government knew what the word meant and just returned to the flock on 1st April. Though connected to the car 24/7 since 11th March, it has ticked over nicely using about 1.5 kWh of electricity every day exporting only about 25 watts/hour so for the month of March there was next to no rebate due (although OVO kindly gave me a credit for the same amount paid in February...and then took it back when I mentioned I didn’t think I was entitled to any).

I “Fired up the Quattro” on the 1st April and it trips out 2-3 times a day, normally when I’m trying to export to the grid as apposed to when they are selling me the stuff. I’ve checked the figures every half hour with OVO and every hour with Kaluza using their apps and there’s something very seriously wrong.

Firstly the imports and exports appear to be out by 1 hour…..ie, Kaluza says I’m importing about an hour after OVO say I received it. But the more serious (for me) problem is the amount Kaluza say I import...after I deduct the normal daily usage…..is about 28% less than I’m paying for...obviously used in the conversion from AC to DC and back…..this is easily checked by looking at the times when I’m asleep in bed and nothing is switched on...between midnight and 7.00am. The furlough clearly shows that for the whole month I averaged 1 kW for the whole 7 hours…...but after that and the 28% are deducted the figures Kaluza say I’m importing and exporting are 90% lower than my figures. As of this morning Kaluza say I’ve imported 21.1 kW and exported 26 kW this month…..but I recon those numbers should be in the region of 211 kWs and 260 kWs roughly. 

Just a note, my car is a 62 kW LEAF with 60 kW available. At 10am on 11th the battery was at 46% (27.6 kWs) and this morning it was 100% (60 kWs, a difference of 32.4 kWs) having gone through a couple of charge and discharge cycles ...but Kaluza say I’ve only imported 21.1kWs and exported 26 kWs….all month. In order to get the correct figures I have to enter 72 bits of data daily and I haven’t been able to go back too far yet but there does appear to be a pattern and I wonder this….Did OVO forget to put the clocks forward in March? and did Kaluza move the decimal point one to the left when they put the clocks forward?...Yes I know it should have happened automatically...but it’s a question worth asking.

Failing that, if all the information is correct then I have a problem with my car and the charger which are constantly importing and exporting large amounts of electricity to and from the car….

As an example of the discrepancy here’s the smart meter alongside the Kaluza app. The meter says I’m exporting to the grid 2.87 kW and the the app says I’m exporting 0.3 kW which would be consistent with 10% as I was also drawing from the car for the cooker...I’d be interested in anyone’s view on my theory…

PS….the smart meter readout isn’t dirty….I just haven’t removed the cellophane...the i phone however... is.

Userlevel 5

Apologies but I do not understand much of the technical stuff - all I know is that one day it was working fine then next day electricity disappeared. 

I am not that knowledgeable either but as I understand it your gas meter sends a signal to your electric meter showing your gas usage (if any) every 30 minutes (not more often than this to save on the battery) and the electric meter gathers your electricity usage in real time and sends it to OVO either every 30 minutes or monthly depending on your settings.

Your IHD gets the usage on the screen directly from the electric meter.

Userlevel 6

regarding my early comments about the clocks being out by 1 hour….I think I may have the answer.

The system should be for BST there are 23 hours in the day and for GMT there are 25 hours...ie the clocks go forward in Summer from 2-3am and back in winter by 1 hour from 2-1am 

OVO appear to have got that a bit wrong and put the clocks back from 1 to midnight….twice but forgot to move 2 O'clock...so when everyone else is operating on 23 hours...they’re operating on 24….or 25 depending which way you look at it…

Userlevel 5

Update:

I had both gas and electricity usage truncated on the 7th April but I just discovered that a new entry has been added on my electric and 4 entries on my gas but I believe these to be wrong as I can't believe that I used only 10p of gas on those 4 days !

Userlevel 1

No, you won’t be able to all OVO tomorrow @MajorSqueeze . They’ve closed their 4 call centres to all but emergencies.

But in any case, I think the current issues we have with SMETS2 meters are best discussed on the Forum. Here we can compare with what others are seeing, and attempt to clarify which symptoms each of us is reporting.

One of the Moderators, @Tim_OVO is trying to keep track of our Feedback, and I’m inserting inter-Topic links to help with this.

You’ll see that I posted here last week, a list of the mix of current “faults” which need analysing and testing.

Occasionally you’ll see me tag @BenS_OVO who is much more of a “techie”. But that’s just so he receives an alert that we’re discussing something relevant to the SMETS Engineering Team. Don’t expect him to pop up here on the Forum unless he’s needing to clarify something.

Just as an FYI to this, my backdated stats from the 7th have now come through, so all is back up to date. Someones put 50p in the meter I suspect :)

Userlevel 5

No, you won’t be able to all OVO tomorrow @MajorSqueeze . They’ve closed their 4 call centres to all but emergencies.

But in any case, I think the current issues we have with SMETS2 meters are best discussed on the Forum. Here we can compare with what others are seeing, and attempt to clarify which symptoms each of us is reporting.

One of the Moderators, @Tim_OVO is trying to keep track of our Feedback, and I’m inserting inter-Topic links to help with this.

You’ll see that I posted here last week, a list of the mix of current “faults” which need analysing and testing.

Occasionally you’ll see me tag @BenS_OVO who is much more of a “techie”. But that’s just so he receives an alert that we’re discussing something relevant to the SMETS Engineering Team. Don’t expect him to pop up here on the Forum unless he’s needing to clarify something.

Just as an FYI to this, my backdated stats from the 7th have now come through, so all is back up to date. Someones put 50p in the meter I suspect :)

My backdated stats have come back as well.

I am just waiting for my IHD to sync with the electric meter as it's saying "waiting for current data" again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Mikeovo wrote:

Does this photo help?

:wink:

Userlevel 5

@Transparent - thanks for correcting my post :)

Userlevel 5

I would start another topic but I have forgotten how to lol

I was wondering if turning off the (Chameleon) IHD occasionally when it has been on for, say, 5 or 6 hours and I am fed up of seeing the "waiting for current data" message can make these meter problems worse ?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Mikeovo- there’s a “Create Topic” at the top right of this page, which might be what you’re looking for! :wink:

I waited about 8 months last year with my IHD reporting “waiting for current data”. You can turn it off/on as much as you like. It’s got solid-state (NAND Flash) memory inside it. So without having more information on how that’s deployed, I have no idea what it may or may not need to retrieve from your Comms Hub when you switch it back on.

Thanks for taking my “corrections” in the light-hearted way I’d intended. You’ve learned a heck of a lot in the 3 days since you arrived here on the Forum. :sunglasses:

Ofgem have identified “lack of public knowledge” as a significant factor which holds back the deployment of more technology related to Smart Metering. So it’s very much up to us to learn what we can and spread correct information to all friends, neighbours and work colleagues. That’s why I tend not let anything inaccurate stick around here on the Forum for too long.

If you want a glimpse of what’s around the corner, then have a look at this Topic on Auxilliary Load Control Switches where I’m discussing with two OVO staff members some technology which had been raised during a visit to OVO in Summer ‘19.

Userlevel 5

@Transparent Thanks for the advice on my IHD :)

I can't see any "Create Topic" on this page. Never mind lol

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

This is what the top of this page looks like to me @Mikeovo 

Userlevel 5

I have this:

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I don’t know what sort of mobile device you’re using @Mikeovo nor what Browser software that is…

… however, you have three symbols at the right-hand side which I don’t normally see. So if I was looking for “Create Topic”, I’d start by having a look at what those buttons do!

Userlevel 5

I don’t know what sort of mobile device you’re using @Mikeovo nor what Browser software that is…

… however, you have three symbols at the right-hand side which I don’t normally see. So if I was looking for “Create Topic”, I’d start by having a look at what those buttons do!

I use the Chrome browser on a Samsung tablet.

Those 3 dots give me this:

I forgot how I posted my first post (this post)

I am taking this topic off topic now. Sorry

p.s. it's the same forum page if I use Google browser.

Anyway my query has been answered on this thread so I'll leave it as it is ! :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes, we’re going off-topic. So the sooner we get you to create a new Topic, the better!

Userlevel 5

Yes, we’re going off-topic. So the sooner we get you to create a new Topic, the better!

They belong to my tablet !

Because I view the forum in Landscape mode (as opposed to Portrait mode), those tablet icons are on the side of the screen rather than the bottom !

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Oh rats! :rat:

Normally at times like this I’d be looking for help from another of the Forum Ninjas, @ITGeek123 . But he’s had an overdose of video-games throughout the long Easter weekend, and is reportedly trying to do some real work today. :head_bandage:

Userlevel 5

Normally at times like this I’d be looking for help from another of the Forum Ninjas, @ITGeek123 . But he’s had an overdose of video-games throughout the long Easter weekend, and is reportedly trying to do some real work today. :head_bandage:

No problem !

Userlevel 7
Badge

Normally at times like this I’d be looking for help from another of the Forum Ninjas, @ITGeek123 . But he’s had an overdose of video-games throughout the long Easter weekend, and is reportedly trying to do some real work today. :head_bandage:

Haha thanks for the mention @Transparent I am around today but still extremely busy with my real job (Until OVO Hire me) I will be dipping in and out today. 

Viewing the Forum on a mobile device. You need to be logged into the website to create a topic. Once logged in, you will see a green circle located the bottom right with a pencil icon as shown in the image below :thumbsup:

Userlevel 5

Haha thanks for the mention @Transparent I am around today but still extremely busy with my real job (Until OVO Hire me) I will be dipping in and out today. 

Viewing the Forum on a mobile device. You need to be logged into the website to create a topic. Once logged in, you will see a green circle located the bottom right with a pencil icon as shown in the image below :thumbsup:

@ITGeek123 thanks for reminding me about how I started this topic on here !

You are right I never had a "Create topic" icon only a pencil icon on my tablet.

Now I remember lol.

Back on topic.

All my usage stats have been updated all that is missing is usage data on my IHD.

It still says "waiting for current data" so not too bad if only a tad annoying.

Userlevel 5

UPDATE:

The data usage problem is sorted now so I won't need to post on here anymore.

Well done to OVO for sorting out the problem !

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Mikeovo wrote:

“...so I won't need to post on here anymore”

Oh no! That’s really sad! :cry:

But I’m sure you’ll be back. Some of these communications faults got “fixed” over the weekend without intervention from an engineer. So they’re just as likely to go wrong all over again next time it’s a new moon and the wind is from the east!