Solved

Is my In Home Display (IHD) displaying the wrong time?

Userlevel 2

Hi

We had our SMETS2.0 smart meter and IHD last year.

Looks like there's still bugs.  😉

As you can see from the attached photos, the IHD is properly synchronised and paired with the meter, the right meter, and it gets the meter readings, and the meter has the right time on it; however, the IHD doesn't have the right time.  No amount of resetting the IHD seems to cure this.  This means it messes up the night mode timings (and also confuses me, I keep thinking it's earlier than it is, lol!)

The IHD model is Chameleon IHD3-PPMID / CA30111.

The meter is an Aclara SGM1413-B.

The communications hub is a Toshiba SKU-1 Cellular.

(I have another photo I've not posted demonstrating that the MPANs match on both meter and IHD too.)

I know it's not a high priority issue but I thought I'd best feed it back to you.

Julie

x

icon

Best answer by BenS_OVO 27 March 2020, 19:18

View original

58 replies

Userlevel 5

Hey @jewelie,

I’m getting some more info on the time mismatch, and I’ll update you when I have clarification.

Just wanted to let you know that if you have Eco7/2 rate, the time on the IHD shouldn’t affect this. The time on the meter itself will dictate the switching intervals, so as long as you have the right time on this then there should be no issues.

Thanks

Userlevel 2

Hey @jewelie,

I’m getting some more info on the time mismatch, and I’ll update you when I have clarification.

Just wanted to let you know that if you have Eco7/2 rate, the time on the IHD shouldn’t affect this. The time on the meter itself will dictate the switching intervals, so as long as you have the right time on this then there should be no issues.

Thanks

Thanks Nancy!

By night mode timings, I just meant on the IHD (for when it stops with the beeps and turns the display off etc)

Stay staff,
Julie
x

Userlevel 6

It might be best to give the team a call, @jewelie, they’ll be able to put you in-touch with the Op’s team that should be able to fix this. 

You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

But the rest of us would also like to know the answer @Amy_OVO 

Could we get a response from @BenS_OVO here please?

Userlevel 3

Hey @jewelie 

Nice pics, I like em!

This is not something I’ve seen in test before. I’m reaching out to some of our Smets2 team to see if it’s an issue that’s come up. It may be a simple case of sending a repairing Service Request to your IHD. 

I’ll get back to you as soon as I find something out.

B

Userlevel 3

@jewelie Do you have a Gas meter paired? Is this time showing the same time as the Elec?

Userlevel 2

@jewelie Do you have a Gas meter paired? Is this time showing the same time as the Elec?

Oh, I like that, a clever bit of binary-chop thinking to work out where the issue might lay!

I do, yes, and the time on the gas meter is correct, the same as the electric meter; looks to be just the Chameleon IHD with the creative time-keeping.  :)

(And the battery in the gas smart meter, after a year, apparently still has the equivalent of 15years of charge left - which is pretty impressive given what it’s doing.)

Julie
x

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Perhaps the IHD is correct…

… but it thinks it’s in Greenland :wink:

I have the same issue, same IHD, the time is 30 minutes behind the meter time. Really annoying and not very confidence inspiring that everything is working correctly.

Userlevel 2

I have the same issue, same IHD, the time is 30 minutes behind the meter time. Really annoying and not very confidence inspiring that everything is working correctly.

Glad it’s not just me.  The last time I looked ours was approx 3 hours behind!  LOL.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Perhaps it’s all relative.

If you throw the IHD close to the speed of light, does it slow down?  :rocket:

…. I think I need a weekend break.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Erm, @Tim_OVO I don’t think @Jon Langford has provided the “Answer” to this Topic. He’s just said “me too”!

We’re still waiting with baited breath to hear what @BenS_OVO has to say.

Userlevel 3

Hey - Sorry in this world of working from home, it’s taking a bit longer than usual to find the right people. I’m usually found running around the office hunting people down. 

As soon as I have something I’ll post it here. 

Userlevel 2

Hey - Sorry in this world of working from home, it’s taking a bit longer than usual to find the right people. I’m usually found running around the office hunting people down. 

As soon as I have something I’ll post it here. 

As @Transparent said, the issue is that this question is now marked as solved when it isn’t!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

For the benefit of others who are wondering why I’m wading into this discussion, may I point out that the issue of time is going to become increasingly important.

At the moment the only device that we have hanging off the Home Area Network (Zigbee) is the IHD.

However, the whole strategy of these Smart Meters is that they are able to issue commands to other devices within the home, such as Battery Storage, Immersion Heater, Storage Radiators etc. Thus we will be able to set up parameters based on time and cost-per-unit, according to our own preferences for when we want to use gas and electricity.

If the Time feature cannot be relied on, then the whole Demand Side Response strategy falls apart.

So it’s important that we verify what’s happening now (March 2020) before we start deploying such smart devices.

Userlevel 3

We might try a full device unpairing and repairing. I will need a guinea pig for this though so either @Jon Langford or @jewelie if you’re happy to give this a go, let me know. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Thanks @BenS_OVO 

If you want to tinker with IHD code, please remember that I have a second Chameleon IHD here (CAD) that hasn’t yet been paired. So apart from you investigating the two that are showing incorrect time, I’m obviously happy for you to throw any test code in my direction.

It intrigues me that both of the two which are displaying the wrong time are both a multiple of 30-mins out of sync. @jewelie’s is 3½ hours.

So if I was looking for a likely source of the error, I’d be heading for the code that handles TOU tariffs in the Communications Hub.

Userlevel 2

We might try a full device unpairing and repairing. I will need a guinea pig for this though so either @Jon Langford or @jewelie if you’re happy to give this a go, let me know. 

Hi

Monkeying about with tech is my idea of relaxation and fun, so absolutely yes!  :)  (tbh It’s the main reason we got a smart meter…  gadget-lust!)

:)

x

Userlevel 2

Thanks @BenS_OVO 

If you want to tinker with IHD code, please remember that I have a second Chameleon IHD here (CAD) that hasn’t yet been paired. So apart from you investigating the two that are showing incorrect time, I’m obviously happy for you to throw any test code in my direction.

It intrigues me that both of the two which are displaying the wrong time are both a multiple of 30-mins out of sync. @jewelie’s is 3½ hours.

So if I was looking for a likely source of the error, I’d be heading for the code that handles TOU tariffs in the Communications Hub.

Hi @Transparent 

I work it out to be 2hrs 45mins for me (but I didn't sleep last night and have just attempted to do a radio show so my brain is now entirely frazzled!)   But even then, that’d be 15 mins, which still sounds like an unusually neat unit of time.

EDIT:  Curiousity got the better of me.  I needed to know if it was *exactly* 2hrs 45mins, to the second. So I went to the meter with the IHD and saw the minutes update in synchronicity.  So yes, it is!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Great. Thanks for clarifying that @jewelie

So I still think this is more likely to be due to an error in the code that handles TOU slots. It’s just too neat a figure to be anything else.

Although these are half-hour slots, the SMETS system requires that the actual placing of the slot incorporates a randomised offset. If it were not so, there’d be a massive surge as thousands of us had devices pre-programmed to start simultaneously.

This random period then propagates across all successive time-slots for that particular Communications Hub. So if I choose to use a low-cost slot at 11am, but the randomisation period delays that by 7mins and 22secs, then the end of that slot for me will be at 11:37:22. Thus I still gain 30-mins of lower-cost electricity.

Equally, a  time slot I configure for 18:00 the same day will actually start at 18:07:22

Let me make a couple of broad assumptions:

1. It’s possible that the time displayed on our SMETS gas and electricity meters is actually derived from a time-signal picked up from the WAN, rather than internal clock hardware/software
  2. The time displayed on our IHD’s might be calculated independently from within the Comms Hub.

That would mean the Comms Hub contains software which is able to handle a clock which is independent of the master-signal, and it is that clock which is used to apply the random offsets.

Now that’s pure conjecture… but it would fit with the symptoms we’re now discussing.

go ahead Ben, pair and unpair

Jon

Userlevel 7

This can be done today @Jon Langford @jewelie - it’s best done over the phone so the agent can do their thing and then advise of the steps you need to take all in one go. Call us when you can before 6pm: 0330 303 5063

Userlevel 2

This can be done today @Jon Langford @jewelie - it’s best done over the phone so the agent can do their thing and then advise of the steps you need to take all in one go. Call us when you can before 6pm: 0330 303 5063

Thanks Tim.  I gather @BenS_OVO  will be calling me sometime today.

Did you do something? No phone call but ihd showing right time now 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

You need to tag Ben, @Jon Langford 

… like this @BenS_OVO ~ did you do something? :slight_smile: