Solved

Newly installed smart meter - How long until I see smart meter readings on my online account?

Show first post

48 replies

Userlevel 2

I'm currently showing £382 in credit so have leeway if all the readings are askew. I last submitted a photo of my meter reading for the gas on the 18th March. Up to then my electricity was reporting. Now of course it tells me neither is. 

I'll hang in there!

Phil 

Userlevel 7

Sounds like it’s been a pretty frustrating journey in getting functioning Smart Meters there, @Dellara, it’s certainly not the smooth process we aim to provide members when they upgrade to Smart Meter so this was disappointing to read.

If there was any misleading information you have found surrounding time frame for your online account to update, as @Blastoise186  has advised, we can certainly look to get this updated. We should explain it can take up to 6 weeks until the meter details are updated there. I’ve actually moved you question to a similar topic so please check the ‘Best Answer’ above for further advice.

Once the meter details and usage data has updated, this should give you some really helpful budgeting information which I hope is worth the wait. 

Userlevel 2

Jess, these are screen grabs from the installation guide for smart meters which is where I saw the “work straight away” reference. Although it mentions 6-8 weeks, it doesn't explain that, like I'm experiencing, no useful data will be available (see my previous screen grabs) or that my meters aren't reporting to you. If it's true that I won't see this then I think a better explanation needs to be given on the website to highlight this. 

Phil 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks @Dellara ! This helps us a lot.

Yup, I can verify this one too. Nice catch! I’ll get this into the submission queue tonight. If you spot more, feel free to let us know.

While I’m at it, I’ll probably also spend some time tonight going through a bunch of other guides on OVO’s main websites. If I spot anything myself, I’ll ask Tim and Jess to bulk-submit them all in one go on my behalf.

Userlevel 7

Jess, these are screen grabs from the installation guide for smart meters which is where I saw the “work straight away” reference. 

Thanks for raising this one, @Dellara. Whilst it’s worth knowing that the meter will start clocking your usage straight away, I agree that the wording on the 4th bullet point there is a little misleading in suggesting that your online account would also show this usage immediately. We’ve already flagged this to the relevant team to ensure we get that clarified. 

As your meters were installed at the end of March the online account should be fully up-to-date by mid-May, if not it might be worth contacting the Support Team to double-check the meters are communicating as they should be.

Userlevel 1

Recently had both gas/electric smart meters installed.

What is the point of them if they aren’t reliably sending readings and I’m asked to send a manual reading on the first billing after them being installed?????

Frustated !!!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

How long has it been since the meters were installed @Amerififer ? It usually takes up to six weeks for them to fully connect. Only then does smart functionality fully activate.

Userlevel 1

How long has it been since the meters were installed @Amerififer ? It usually takes up to six weeks for them to fully connect. Only then does smart functionality fully activate.

Hiya,

Thanks for the quick response.. It might be that then.. Only put in on the 15th June.. Will give it the six weeks.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. If you show me photos of the meters, I can help you to check that they’re working too.

Userlevel 1

No worries. If you show me photos of the meters, I can help you to check that they’re working too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ahh ok. A SMETS2 Landis+Gyr E470 and a SMETS2 Flonidan UniFlo huh? That’s a rather… Unusual combination. I’d normally expect to see an Aclara SGM1400 Series paired with a Flonidan UniFlo, or an L+G E470 paired with an L+G G370/G470. Not mix n match! Especially since Aclara is Flonidan’s business partner in the UK.

Everything looks good mind you, but your gas meter has a message waiting for you. Head into the menu with button C and see what it says. :)

Userlevel 2

Recently had both gas/electric smart meters installed.

What is the point of them if they aren’t reliably sending readings and I’m asked to send a manual reading on the first billing after them being installed?????

Frustated !!!!

I'm with you. My smart meter is still coming up with “couldn't get a reading. Mind sending us one?” and it's been months. It's never gong to be right now. Doesn't fill me with much confidence to be honest.  Smart and user friendly it's not  

So I was with SSE and everything was fine. Got changed over to OVO. The gas account is fine but the electric is all over the place. I got smart meters fitted today and the correct reading is 1990 but based on previous smart meter readings (that were wrong) it looks like I’ve used over 1,000 units in 6 weeks. Which is more than I used in the last 6 months. 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Johnk2473 

Oh yes I can see, those readings are all over the place. 

The good news is the engineer that fitted your meter will have jotted down the final reading on the old meter, and the start reading on the smart meter. In 6 weeks or less, all the info from the engineer notes will be on file and your account will be updated. A billing suspension is likely in place whilst this happens. 

There’s a similar topic here: 

New account, half hourly electricity data, no gas data. Why?

Badge +1

The gas meter supplies its data to the hub attached to the electricity meter for transmission to the DCC and thence to OVO.  There are lots of reasons for things not to work properly.

Are you looking at the in home display or your account with OVO?  @Blastoise186 is the expert.  He might need photos of your meters and descriptions of your flashing(or not) lights on the meters and comms hub to make a diagnosis, so if you can be prepared it will help.

OVO faqs implies this is a new customer issue. I have gas cost data on my home read-out monitor. Must be taking time to link up SSE gas data to the OVO app. I am in watchful waiting mode and will check again every few days.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Userlevel 7

Hi @PeterWest50,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community! 

Great to hear you have a new account with OVO Energy. If you got your smart meters fitted within the last 6 weeks this may be why you aren’t able to see your gas readings on the online account yet.

If your meters are older than 6 weeks it may mean we are having issues communicating with your gas smart meter. We’d recommend carrying out a smart meter health check for your meter type below and contacting our Support Team with the results.

I hope this helps!

I had a smart meter installed three months ago. Since then, Ovo have not been able to remotely take any readings because it’s set up to SSE as my supplier.

I’ve completed the health check form and was told it would take 17 working days. 

I called back after 20 working days and was told a case was raised and it would be resolved hopefully within 45 days.

Stupid thing is another Ovo engineer was here to fit a smart meter for a neighbour and told me the only way to resolve it was for an engineer to attend and configure the meter from SSE to Ovo. Which they refuse to do. In the meanwhile I have mobility issues and have to give meter readings every two days to try and keep on top of my budget because of their slow slow slow inexcusable service….

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @UnhappyOvoCustomer27

Sorry to hear about that.

Did the smart meter send readings to SSE when you were with them? 

No, but I have never been with SSE, I have always been with Ovo, I don’t understand why my smart meter says SSE is my provider and has the prices for the SSE tariff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

No, but I have never been with SSE, I have always been with Ovo, I don’t understand why my smart meter says SSE is my provider and has the prices for the SSE tariff.

I think i remember seeing some SSE meters were being used up for OVO customers but i don't think that should have made a difference 

So i assume if you look on these pages you see no smart meter reading on any day, not even once a month?

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/electricity

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings/history/gas

Is that correct?

Here is an example of mine for gas

Userlevel 7

Hi @UnhappyOvoCustomer27,

Really sorry to hear about the issues you’ve had.

It sounds like it’s already with the right team. If they are unable to fix the meter issues remotely, they will send an engineer to your property. 

In the meantime, I'd advise getting added to the Priority Services Register if you aren’t already. You’ll then be able to request meter readers to come to your property while the meter isn’t sending readings across.

Hope this helps.