Solved

New IHD showing high levels of usage - is this right?

Show first post

95 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @andreamaloneya, I’ve replied to your other topic here offering generic advice on how to identify the causes of higher than expected costs: 

If it’s just the costs showing on your IHD that are high, then that’s likely to be the issue Blastoise has referred to which can be ignored. It’s affecting customers who have an In Home Display and an Acalra SMETS1 smart meter, and is related to the price cap changes. Fix is incoming. 

Our Home Display unit has gone haywire with crazy readings - gas usage today (Wed. 12 Oct) showing as 124kWh and electricity as £6.85.  Since Sunday midnight I would expect something in the region of £15-20 in total as we only have the boiler on for limited hours per day.

Any thoughts please - should I just unplug the display in the hope that it reboots, and can OVO tell me whether they apply charges from the meter itself or what comes up on the Home Display?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Tony Tucker ,

Please can you post photos?

Here’s today’s one - and thanks for your quick response

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see you’ve got a Chameleon IHD7-CAD-PPMID by the looks of things. This is the latest model from Chameleon that OVO has been sending out recently. Since it’s based on the IHD6, I know it pretty well.

What I’m seeing there seems normal to me as in your photo, you have it on So far this week. Try tapping that to get it to either Now or So far today. :)

What's goin on with the readings tday

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You should ignore that. It’s just a bug with the IHD.

A firmware fix is being rolled out to affected meters from this week onwards which will correct that. For now, just divide the displayed cost by 1000 to get a more accurate figure.

Your actual bills are NOT affected.

I had virtually identical on same day, £39.3k. While that,s now disappeared, it’s still showing £3577 against that day. Are you guys replacing the old SSE smartmeters?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Degsy ,

Nope, no need for that. It just needs a firmware update that has started to roll out recently. You should get the full and proper fix by the end of the year.

I am confused - please explain.
had a smart meter installed recently and was advised that the budget marker was inline with the average household. Mine is set at £1.60 per day for elec. However, for the last 2mornings I have woken up at 5.30am to see that I have already ‘used’ around 60p. I have my larder fridge, freezer, TV, Virgin box, broadband and one alarm clock plugged in at all times. If those items use 60p in 5.5 hrs, then in 22hrs I’ve already used £2.40, without cooking, turning on a light, doing any washing etc. Additionally, at 14.31 on the same day it says I’ve used £1.12, so 52p more. I don’t understand how I  can use 60p in 5.5hrs using no electricity apart from those items plugged in and then use 52p in the following 9 hrs when I did a load of washing had lights on, kettle on twice and the TV. 
Can you help? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

.. However, for the last 2mornings I have woken up at 5.30am to see that I have already ‘used’ around 60p.

Your ‘60p’ will include the daily standing charge which is probably not factored into the average budget calculation. If you check at the end of a day, you might have a better idea but also at this time of year you would expect to use more than on longer summer days

Okay. Thanks 

so last night i noticed my smart meter go from 2/3p an hour to 23p an hour and this kept/keeps happing every 15 or so minutes so when i went to bed i made sure everything was off except baby’s night light and my phone charger it is only the two of us who live here so it went down to 0p (24w) an hour but again keep going up to 20p (over 600w) every 15/20 minutes only for a few seconds i woke up at 5 brifly and said i’d already used 61p should be no more then 20p that’s even with 3p an hour witch is what it is normally during the day with tv etc on. i know prices are going up but this seems to be abnormal and i’m not sure if it’s the smart meter going wrong here or wether there’s an electricical fault somewhere in our flat 🤷🏼‍♀️ don’t know who to contact 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @emiejay259421 ,

Can you show us where you’re seeing this please? Photos of the meter you’re looking at are especially helpful.

what it normally is and what it keeps jumping to every 20 minute 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see. It’s unlikely to be a meter fault. It could be that something in your house is using electricity randomly. Let me see if @Jeffus @juliamc and @nealmurphy are around. They’re really good at helping you figure this out.

While you wait, is there anything in your house that you can think of which might be using electricity in that pattern?

Userlevel 7

Hey @emiejay259421,

Just to re-assure you, you aren’t billed based on information from the In Home Display, you are billed based on meter readings from your smart meter itself. 

Are you set to half hourly readings? If so, can you please send us a screenshot of your usage page and meter readings on the Online Account?

If not- I’d advise requesting to go onto half hourly readings, that was you can make the most of the Energy Tracker feature and pin point exactly when you are using energy.

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It could be your fridge or freezer switching on and off.

Hi can someone please tell me why smart meter saying I’m using gas per hour when it’s switched off ! Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi,

Gas usage is not reported on the IHD in real-time. It instead shows snapshots based on the last hour or so and will show usage even when you’re using nothing right now.