Solved

My smart meter display is blank - Is the meter broken?

Show first post

86 replies

Not more private messaging!!!!

Reaching out??? 
You know who I am contact me. 

Userlevel 2

So whilst waiting for the elusive engineer to turn up (for the 4th time) and change out my not so smart gas meter, I am forced to submit manual readings.  Until today because the screen is blank.  Yes I know it 'sleeps ' but pressing the A button does nothing to wake it up!  Is this common occurrence? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sounds like the battery might be depleted.

You can get compensation for no-shows

Userlevel 7

Yep that meter needs replacing, @Scotia121, especially if the screen is now unresponsive. If it’s not off supply it’s not considered an emergency appointment.

If you had (another) failed appointment without at least 24 hours notice, you’ll get £30 compensation, or £60 if it’s not paid within 10 working days. Our Support team can arrange the new meter exchange appointment and this compensation. 

Our smart meter hasn't worked for over a week no display of balance done everything to get it to display and still nothing and when it did work it was wired playing up saying difrent balance up and down one minute we were overdrawn then back in credit plus one day we put 30 pounds in and it showed the Ballance, then woke up the day after we were in 15 pounds dept , I did complain about this that we have been scammed but heard nothing back and since the complaint the display of the balance hasn't shown again it's like it's one big scam to take money off you topping up every other day without even knowing your balance, the country and companies have gone greedy and even scamming customers without no answer or compensation for this it's wrong and disrespectful scam scam scam all of it richer getting richer poorer getting poorer!!!!!

Userlevel 7

Hi @Billt23,

Please bear in mind that we have house rules here about accuracy in posts when stating facts. See our rules here:

OVO is not attempting to scam any of our customers. 

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been seeing with your smart meter’s In Home Display (IHD). It sounds like you’re a prepayment customer, and therefore knowing what your balance is at any given time is important. We’ve got a guide all about smart meters and IHDs that may be worth a look:

It may be that overall, the smart meter and IHD balance is changing correctly in line with your usage, but that the connection between your smart meter and IHD is weak, meaning it updates sporadically. You may consider moving the IHD closer to your meter to see if that helps. 

If you’re convinced that your meter balance is dropping more than it should, or even goes in reverse without a top up (that would be unusual and indicates an issue), our Pay As You Go Support team are best placed to help.

my meter isn’t showing any display.

When I try to get support from OVO it asks me to submit a reading. I cannot do that with a blank screen.

What do I need to do? I’ve had a letter saying a reading has not been taken for 9 months…

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Nath_2389 , it sounds like you need a meter exchange. You will need to contact customer support to do this .. they might ask you to perform a quick test/check but that should get you a readable meter. 

No hot water - error on boiler SP1 which I've looked and and it says gas supply! Went outside to check my gas meter (which has never communicated like my electricity does to EVo) the meter display is blank. Pressed a few buttons on but no joy. I'm not an electrician so looking at my fuse box for something out of the ordinary would be pointless. Both switches to fuses and main switch are in the on position. What do I do next? Is there an emergency number to phone ( I havnt got a gas leak) for loss of gas supply

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Nannycez1962 ,

Please provide photos of everything, we’ll try to advise once we’ve seen them.

But right now, it sounds like the meter is dead and needs to be replaced. Please let your supplier know in the morning and they’ll sort you out.

If you think you have gas leak, please call 0800 111 999 - they might also offer advice for this particular case as well.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Nannycez1962 

Sorry to hear about the issues you’ve been having with the gas/gas meter.

Did you get this issue sorted? 

Even if the hot water is back on, if the meter is still not responding at all when you press the buttons, I’d recommend contacting the Support Team as, like Blastoise186 has mentioned, it sounds like the meter is dead and needs replacing.