Solved

My smart meter display is blank - Is the meter broken?

Show first post

86 replies

Am I entitled to take OVO to court over this? You don’t have a leg to stand on, given the last 3 months lack of communication. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You might be able to try other contact options at https://help.ovoenergy.com . Otherwise, your best bet is https://ovoenergy.com/feedback .

I wouldn’t recommend going to court over this. It’s not worth the risk and besides, that’s not the appropriate course of action anyway. Just about any decent lawyer would probably recommend using OVO’s complaints process instead.

As for recovering the final reading, it is sometimes possible for an engineer to revive a dead meter for long enough to grab a final reading out of it. If they can do so, they will.

I am a chartered graduate engineer as opposed to a meter fitter. Can you explain what they do to recover the data? I can understand details…….or as I suspect it’ll be too late once the meter is removed. Then I’ll end up in a world of hurt, spending hours on a phone trying to contest estimated values whilst continuing to pay inflated charges. 
has anyone had any experience of the ombudsman? I guess there’s always the Sunday Times!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There’s solutions for that. Your usage on the new meter can be used to calculate what the final reading from the previous meter was.

But if the engineer somehow manages to pull off some black magic and get the meter to light up, they will attempt to take a reading. That’s all I have. Funny really, since I do actually know one of OVO’s Smart Meter Engineers. :)

Userlevel 7

Hey @charlie lee,

Sorry to hear you’ve not been able to get in touch with us,

I’ll get someone from Forum_Support to contact you. 

Hope this helps. 

I have had an issue for several months with my Smart Gas Meter not communicating properly with OVO. As a work around I have been sending periodic manual readings to OVO to ensure that they do not continually estimate my bills. The problem has now upped a level as my Smart Meter no longer displays the reading (just a blank screen) when I press either of the buttons. This suggests a meter issue (maybe battery) and I have raised it again with OVO but on the basis that it will take them ages to sort:-

1. Does anyone know how the meter continues to record gas usage when it is apparently dead.
  2. Is there a risk that I will suddenly find myself cut off without any warning?
Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @harrrj ,

If the meter is dead, it’s dead. There’s no way for it to continue recording usage. If you were in Credit Mode when it happened, your supply will continue running uninterrupted and the valve will remain open. It will not be closed at any point.

Thanks - looks like I will need to continue to press OVO to do something about the meter.

Userlevel 7

Hey @harrrj,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

If you have a faulty meter, which includes a blank screen you should be able to book a 17 working day appointment for a replacement. I know that our installer SMS will continue to deal with emergencies over the festive period (if you’re off supply) but there will be a period between 17 December and 2 Jan where SMS cannot accept Maintenance bookings.

I’m assuming this is why there’s a delay. They should be able to book you in for any appointment date after the 2nd of January. 

Hope this helps. 

OVO have now booked an engineer for 18 January.

I too have this problem with an electricity smart meter……since July. OVO have done nothing, I booked a technician for the end of September , never showed up. I have phoned 7 times now, but draw the line at waiting more than 30 mins. I have used this chat forum, but no one will contact me. 

Userlevel 7

So sorry about that missed appointment, @charlie lee. If you weren’t given at least 24 hours notice, you’ll be owed compensation. If it wasn’t paid promptly, that compensation gets doubled!

Can I recommend you consider using WhatsApp, that way you don’t need to hang around in a queue. Just call the number and you’ll be given the option for WhatsApp instead: 0330 303 5063. If you don’t have that app on your phone, web chat is another digital way of getting through to the Support team without having to wait in a queue. 

How do I report to OVO that my SMETS2 gas smart meter is not working. It was installed by SSE and stopped showing any gas usage on the IHD from April 2022. It showed a reading of 402 KWh on my bill in May 2022. The gas meter obviously stopped showing any gas usage on the IHD from April 2022. It showed a reading of 402 KWh on my bill in May 2022. The gas meter obviously stopped communicating with SSE then because in August my bill showed an estimated reading. However I dont use the gas for hot water, only for heating, so the outside meter showed 402 KWh on 30 Sept. I reported this to SSE and they amended the reading to 402 and sent me a new bill. I  turned on the heating on 3 Nov and the last reading I got on the outside meter is 404 KWh on 4 Nov. After that the outside meter has stopped working  and does not wake up when I press Button A. I now have no idea how much gas I am using and find this unacceptable. I reported the problem twice to SSE but nothing was done about it. The smart smart meter needs replacing. How do I report this problem to OVO? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It sounds like the battery has failed. You need to get in touch with the support team

https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

Read my many messages here. 
my third and final attempt to have a technician change my electricity smart meter has sadly failed.  I have booked 3 appointments from September the last one being 18/1/23. Again no one showed up.

just fed up with OVO’s awful service. I will now contact the ombudsman as I’m going to stop my DD. OVO is charging me a flat rate despite me being away for 5 weeks!!! 
truly appalling 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Read my many messages here. 
my third and final attempt to have a technician change my electricity smart meter has sadly failed.  I have booked 3 appointments from September the last one being 18/1/23. Again no one showed up.

just fed up with OVO’s awful service. I will now contact the ombudsman as I’m going to stop my DD. OVO is charging me a flat rate despite me being away for 5 weeks!!! 
truly appalling 

Hi, 

I don't work for OVO, I am just a customer like you. 

If you want to put in a complaint

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

Then OVO have 8 weeks to reply. Then you can contact the Energy Ombudsman 

Alternative you could try posting a 1 star review on Trustpilot to escalate

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

The OVO staff their can access accounts. 

Some people have got their local MP to write to the OVO head office to escalate issues which has worked for them. 

Make sure you get compensation if appropriate for each visit 

Engineer appointments

We'll pay you £30 compensation if:

• An engineer misses an appointment.
  • An engineer arrives outside of the scheduled 4-hour time slot.
  • We cancel an appointment giving you less than 24-hours notice.
  • An engineer is unable to do the job because they arrive with the wrong equipment.

If they don't pay within 10 days of the missed appointment , you can ask for another £30

Wow, I haven’t had any compensation from day One. That’s the 28th September 2022. With three appointments missed they are racking up quite a bill!! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Wow, I haven’t had any compensation from day One. That’s the 28th September 2022. With three appointments missed they are racking up quite a bill!! 

You should get 60 pounds for each appointment if the criteria is met then. I would ask for that now in parallel with any complaint. 

You are also entitled to another £30 as the meter has not been replaced in a timely manner, and another £30 as they haven't paid you the £30 in a timely manner. You need to ask for this as well. 

An assessment needs to be completed in 5 days and a meter exchange in another 5 days maximum. OVO are well outside that. 

Problem with pay-monthly meters

We'll pay you separate £30 compensation payments if you tell us you your meter's not recording your energy use correctly and we don't do each of the following:

• Complete an initial assessment of whether your meter's faulty by asking you what it's doing/not doing, then:

• Tell you the results of our assessment and tell you when we're sending out an engineer to fix it (if necessary) – both within 5 working days of you contacting us.

• Repair your faulty meter within a further 5 working days, either by sending out an engineer as advised, or by fixing it remotely if possible.

(We define a working day as Monday to Friday, 8am - 6pm)

If OVO don't pay in a timely manner now, then seriously the Ombudsman is very likely to order further compensation for distress.

I make that potentially £240 compensation now, assuming you are eligible. 3 missed appointments and taking too long to replace the meter. 

You can always link to this post if it helps

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/smart-meters-136/my-smart-meter-display-is-blank-is-the-meter-broken-6347/index3.html?postid=79366#post79366

@Emmanuelle_OVO i see this case was picked up by forum support a couple of months ago? Perhaps it needs picking up again, along with any compensation payments if appropriate? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

How do I report to OVO that my SMETS2 gas smart meter is not working. It was installed by SSE and stopped showing any gas usage on the IHD from April 2022. It showed a reading of 402 KWh on my bill in May 2022. The gas meter obviously stopped showing any gas usage on the IHD from April 2022. It showed a reading of 402 KWh on my bill in May 2022. The gas meter obviously stopped communicating with SSE then because in August my bill showed an estimated reading. However I dont use the gas for hot water, only for heating, so the outside meter showed 402 KWh on 30 Sept. I reported this to SSE and they amended the reading to 402 and sent me a new bill. I  turned on the heating on 3 Nov and the last reading I got on the outside meter is 404 KWh on 4 Nov. After that the outside meter has stopped working  and does not wake up when I press Button A. I now have no idea how much gas I am using and find this unacceptable. I reported the problem twice to SSE but nothing was done about it. The smart smart meter needs replacing. How do I report this problem to OVO? 

Hi @Walker46 did you manage to sort out your issue? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

OVO have now booked an engineer for 18 January.

Hi @harrrj Did your meter get sorted out in the end? 

Thanks Jeffus. 

It was booked for 18th January but the contractor did not show. Now booked for 5th April. I am currently waiting for my February bill to see what the estimated Reading is. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It was booked for 18th January but the contractor did not show. Now booked for 5th April. I am currently waiting for my February bill to see what the estimated Reading is. 

In case you didn't know. 

You are entitled to compensation if you were not given appropriate notice.

Engineer appointments

We'll pay you £30 compensation if:

• An engineer misses an appointment.
  • An engineer arrives outside of the scheduled 4-hour time slot.
  • We cancel an appointment giving you less than 24-hours notice.
  • An engineer is unable to do the job because they arrive with the wrong equipment.

If they don't pay within 10 days of the actual missed appointment , you can ask for another £30

You are also entitled to compensation if they don't replace the meter quickly enough. They basically have 10 working days maximum. 

Problem with pay-monthly meters

We'll pay you separate £30 compensation payments if you tell us you your meter's not recording your energy use correctly and we don't do each of the following:

• Complete an initial assessment of whether your meter's faulty by asking you what it's doing/not doing, then:

• Tell you the results of our assessment and tell you when we're sending out an engineer to fix it (if necessary) – both within 5 working days of you contacting us.

• Repair your faulty meter within a further 5 working days, either by sending out an engineer as advised, or by fixing it remotely if possible.

Again the payments needs to be made within 10 working days or another £30 is payable 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

It’s not necessarily just OVO , Octopus have not been able to attend to fit smart meters on two occasions now with very little notice, ie cancelling on the day…..

Userlevel 7

Hey @charlie lee,

Really sorry to hear this,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages.