Solved

Just got the Chameleon IHD and the battery only last 2 hours, is it faulty?

Just got the Chameleon IHD and the battery only last 2 hours. Is it faulty?

icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 30 April 2019, 10:40

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 6

Updated on 12/06/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Great to hear about your new Chameleon In-Home Display - This will really help you get the best out of your smart meters by showing your up-to-date usage information. There’s more advice on using the device on our online tutorial here.

In answer to your question, whilst the Chameleon IHD does have batteries installed, we’d advise keeping it plugged in as the batteries are only intended to be used as a back-up power source, so don’t have the longest battery life (as you’ve found). Ideally you’d be able to plug the device in near your electricity meter so it can access all your usage data. No worries if you can’t find a suitable plug socket - you can also view the smart meter usage data on the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) and keeping the device unplugged or switched off won’t affect the function of the meters themselves.

Hope this info helps you enjoy the full benefits of going smart!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Erm @Zamaria - my Chameleon lasts not much more than this too. I understand the technical bits inside it, and that seems about right considering that it's permanently driving a 100x50mm colour screen.

I tend to leave mine plugged in (charging) on a shelf and only take it down when I want to berate it for still not showing me anything about my gas usage! 😂
The battery is so the ihd can be mobile, for short periods of time say when maybe checking electric appliance costs.
If in permanent use the ihd should be plugged in constantly, it cost 80p a year to run it if left in. Its just 3 Watts.

I have to say, their devices (IHD7-CAD-PPMID / CA7020002 Type 1) are shocking, charged it up for about 3 hours and it only lasts about that. So, I have to keep it plugged in. Ironic. Only got it yesterday.

How long is its battery meant to last?

As my electric meter is over ~7 metres away (hence why I still have my crusty Gas meter), it keeps losing sync to it too. Which is understandable and why I’m unable to get a gas smart meter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @PalsyP !

Three to four hours charging time and three to four hours runtime is about average for any IHD, there’s no fault here.

As for the link to the gas meter, it should stabilise over the next few weeks. Hang in there for now and give us another shout if eight weeks pass and you’re still struggling.

Userlevel 7

Some valid feedback on your new Chameleon IHD, @PalsyP.

It’s something which has been mentioned here previously:

Whilst the Chameleon IHD does have batteries installed, we’d advise keeping it plugged in as the batteries are only intended to be used as a back-up power source, so don’t have the longest battery life (as you’ve found). Ideally you’d be able to plug the device in near your electricity meter so it can access all your usage data. No worries if you can’t find a suitable plug socket - you can also view the smart meter usage data on the usage pages of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) and keeping the device unplugged or switched off won’t affect the function of the meters themselves.

Have you managed to check the data we’re receiving from your electricity meter via your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) yet?

To be honest, I was totally surprised when it actually synced, considering how far away the electric meter is from my flat.

The joys of living in a building of flats with all electric meters are in one place.

The most ironic thing is - as my username might give it away - I’m disabled, my flat is specifically for disabled people….. but….. before I had the smart meter, I had to ask people to go in the main building to get readings as I can’t really walk or open doors!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah, I’m in a similar situation myself as I also live in a flat and my electric meter Raichu is downstairs. My two IHDs struggle to grab data from within my flat, but when I get them a bit closer, they’re able to communicate just fine. I’m hoping to get a Dual-Band Comms Hub eventually to fix that… Which would also mean getting another IHD as well.

In that case, if you ever need to grab an electric meter reading again, you now have another option. Your IHD has the ability to grab the latest meter reading anytime you need it.

Head into the menu, then go to Meter Info and scroll right a few times and you should find the meter reading for the electric meter. If you ever do get a smart gas meter as well that’s connected properly, the gas meter reading can also be found the same way.

It’s a useful accessibility feature, especially if you can’t get to the meter itself.

Userlevel 7

Great advice there, @Blastoise186.

Have you managed to work out the meter reading feature on your IHD, @PalsyP

Sure you’re already aware but just in case you weren’t, we’d recommend making sure you’ve been added to our Priority Services Register. As part of this free service we’d also be able to offer a quarterly meter reader visit if you’ve still got a traditional gas meter there too. 🙂

Sure you’re already aware but just in case you weren’t, we’d recommend making sure you’ve been added to our Priority Services Register. As part of this free service we’d also be able to offer a quarterly meter reader visit if you’ve still got a traditional gas meter there too. 🙂

I am, but my Gas meter is just outside my door - easy to get my carer to read it for me.

As long as I get my electric up to date….. Only use £10/m Gas anyway.... It’s like the national grid in here….

Is an average of 8p/hour good?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

8p an hour for gas? That’s an absolute bargain! Even if it’s for electricity, that really is a very cheap level. I wish I could manage that! But my flat is all electric, so it’s a different story.

I think your problem here partly stems from the gas meter being so far away from the electric meter. A Dual-Band Comms Hub might stand a much better chance at getting a link to the gas meter from where the electric meter lives, but existing Single Band Comms Hubs often stand no chance in a block of flats.

8p an hour for gas? That’s an absolute bargain! Even if it’s for electricity, that really is a very cheap level. I wish I could manage that! But my flat is all electric, so it’s a different story.

Sorry, 8p electric, not gas. Average is 480W, which is surprising considering I leave most things on 24/7 - my PC, CCTV, NAS Drive, TV (stand by), etc.

But that will all change come August when my fixed plan ends! :(

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Maybe. Try having a bunch of laptops, a couple of games consoles, a TV and admittedly way too much Ubiquiti UniFi kit! XD

But either way, your electric bill is a bargain right now. Can I stop by? :P

I still only have a base load of about 100W or so when everything is off or in sleep. Even right now as I’ve got basically everything going full blast… I’m under 500W. :)

My entire flat chomps through less than 5kWh a day on average, costing me under a pound a day in electricity across everything combined.

In fact, there’s a charity I’m part of where I’ve installed a ton of Ubiquiti kit. Between the (massively overpowered) UniFi Network, UniFi Protect and all the other random stuff at that charity which is always on… We barely even use £2 a day on the days we’re closed! And that’s for an absolutely massive building. It’s almost like a 600W network switch really can be pretty power efficient somehow...

I’m all for power efficiency as well, so I have a bunch of tricks to keep the costs down. I’m seriously tempted to get a Power over Ethernet clock or two as well...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I thought the IHD had a battery but if I unplug it the screen dies and when it’s plugged in there is no battery symbol. There’s nowhere to put an AAA battery so I assume it was a rechargeable - is it now kaput ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s possible that there is a rechargeable battery in  your IHD3, but it’s degraded over time to the point where it no longer works.

Let me check with Chameleon. I have someone there who I can ask.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/chameleontechnology.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/IHD3-PPMID-AAA-User-Guide.pdf

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Ah - it’s not the AAA model - so sounds like it’s degraded...

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Well that confirms it - no battery charging light when its plugged in, so I’ll have to get out the extension lead to take it round the house !

why is my smart meter not charging properly??.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy!

Please post photos so we know which one you’ve got. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

By "not charging" what do you mean? Is your IHD (I assume the problem is with your In Home Display as your actual meter doesn't need charging) not working at all? Or only working when it's plugged in? Or something else?

it only charges when I move cable about..I can read display no bother.?.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

It sounds like either your cable is damaged or the connector in the IHD is damaged. Do you have another USB cable you can try?

Don’t think so..but thanks for help👍

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There are several IHD’s which don’t have internal batteries .. if you can say which one you have @Pipalong33 it might be easier for someone to help