Solved

I've got smart meters, so why did Morrisons Data Services come to read my meters?

• 10 January 2019
  • 27 replies

Hi. I am a bit concerned that, even though I have a smart meter, someone from Morrisons called to read my meter. I thought having a smart meter obviated having someone call to the house. Fortunately my daughter was at my house at the time as, if I had been on my own, it would have made me very uncomfortable.
icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 15 January 2019, 13:09

View original

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge
@RitaP

Sorry, If I am understanding this correctly. Are you saying a random person from Morrisons called to check your smart meter? If so, I am not sure of this being a thing. @Darran_OVO @Nancy_OVO Any thoughts?
Yes, it was someone coming to my door to read my smart meter. He took a photo on his phone of the smart meter. By Morrisons I don't mean the supermarket but that was the name on his jacket. I can't remember what else was on the jacket.
Userlevel 4
@RitaP

You might have been visited by these guys: https://www.morrisonds.com/utilities-data-retrieval/

They're a data management & collection company and yes OVO is one of their clients. Whether he was collecting data for analysis rather than reading your meter for billing purposes remains unclear however. I'd never heard of this company until you mentioned them.

OVO should be able to clarify who they are and what they visited your property for.
Thank you for your help. I have now emailed OVO to confirm.
Userlevel 4
@RitaP

Let's hope you find the answer you're looking for. Fancy Morrison's reading meters, I thought they only sold food..., LOL!!!! 😆
Have a 91+ relative with OVO and smart meter for some time.She informed us that at 7.30am she had 'someone' from OVO requesting to read the meters and the internal smart meter.Im not sure if legit as I didnt think they read meters when you have Smart installed.That and knocking on a 91 year olds door at 7.30 in the morning isnt very sociable. Just need a little resuurance for her as cannot confirm with OVO staff as office not open weekends!
Userlevel 5

Updated on 14/12/22 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Sorry for any confusion or distress that’s been caused by the recent meter reader visit.

Even if you’ve got a smart meter installed, we’re required to carry out certain checks on your meter every 1 - 2 years. We use ‘Morrisons Data Services’ to carry out these checks so you if you’re concerned you can ask the visiting meter reader for some ID to confirm this.

If you qualify for extra services as part of our Priority Service Register (for our member’s who may require extra support) you can also set a personal password so in future all visiting engineers will confirm this to you, giving you an added sense of security. Read more about this and find the application form here.  

Hope this helps put your mind at ease. 

Userlevel 4
@Eva_OVO

Would it not make sense to notify your customers by way of an email that 'Morrisons' read your meters? Had the same thing happened to me, requesting ID would not have made any difference. I wouldn't let a company I've never heard of or even be expecting come in and read my meters, especially if they were inside my property.., there's far too many instances of con-men worming their way in to take chances like that.
Why can't we be given prior notice before the meter reader comes calling. One meter is under the stairs and the other in a broom cupboard, so I have to clear stuff ou of the way before the guy can have access. I do have a smart meter by the way!
Userlevel 5
We only give notice if we've asked the readers to come out, @franniem, I believe the readers work from their own schedule. Take a look at this topic for more info!

I have recently (4th April) migrated from SSE to OVO both PAYG. I have a smart meter, so I’ve never had to send meter readings.  This afternoon a man turned up saying he was asked by OVO to read my meters.  Is this something they would usually do because of the change over?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome @Katie B B B ,

That’s normal, but not switchover related. It’s a thing that happens every so often to make sure the meters are working properly, check for signs of tampering and take a verification reading. As long as everything is above board, they’re usually in and out in under 10 minutes.

OVO uses a company called Morrison Data Services to do this. They always carry ID and you can ask them to show it at anytime. If you’re not satisfied, you have the right to refuse entry and have OVO re-arrange it.

Thank you Blastoise 186 for your reply.

He wasn’t here very long and seemed a nice guy.   As soon as he went I took photo’s of my meter readings. 

I think in the past with my energy company I set up a security name with them.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think in the past with my energy company I set up a security name with them.

Good question. 

I see you can setup a password for meter reading if you are on the Priority Service Register. 

• Send an engineer to read your meter – if there’s no one at home to help read your meter, we’re happy to send someone over. For your peace of mind, you can ask our OVO engineer to use a password, so you know who you’re letting in.

https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/priority-services-register

So i wonder if OVO can set a password for these types of visits for those on the Priority Service Register and other customers @Blastoise186 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It is supported on PSR, I call it the Engineer Password. Not sure about support for everyone else, but I see it as a valid idea worth asking about adding support for.

I have a smart meter fitted and have been on holiday, why have I been asked to supply a gas meter reading by Morrison Data Services.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @wullie4917 and welcome to this customer forum group. All meters have to be checked from time to time. The Morrisons team are one of those used but you should also check anyone’s identity of course. 

Thanks for your reply, its over 48 hrs since the card was posted through my door so I’ll leave sending in a meter reading for now. 

Anyone else had a meter reader round tonight around 6pm ??

Userlevel 7

Hey @Ellay,

Did they say they were from Morrisons? That’s the name of our data collector. 

We’re required to carry out checks every 1-2 years, even if a customer has a smart meter. If your meters are inside the property and you don’t feel comfortable letting them in, that is your right. You could also ask to see some ID.

Hope this helps. 

Emmanuelle_OVO that's a great help .  Thanks so much :)

Is Morrisons taking a meter reading for billing purposes? Or is it only ‘data collection’ I felt  a bit flustered and didn’t ask. He was nice and showed his badge and gave me time to read if and showed me the info on his phone. As others have said an unexpected visit and these days you don’t trust people easily, it did make me a bit uncomfortable. OVO should definitely inform customers that they may get a visit

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@MoiraF , as was mentioned earlier, the supplier has an obligation to check meter readings every 1-2 years to see all is in order

Userlevel 1

We have a smart meter fitted for our gas but today we had someone from OVO come and read the meter. 

Seems odd to me as the account shows a consistent reading every hour/half hour. 

Is this something that normally happens to check it’s calibrated correctly? 

Thanks