Solved

How do I get an In-Home Display (IHD) for my Smart meter?

Show first post

207 replies

Userlevel 6

Yes. I was just making the point that if you still have SMETS1 meters then the old IHD will still show YOU data and readings from that old meter, so it may be worth putting batteries in it, or plugging it in, to take a look what it may still show YOU even if that is all that it does.

Eg. My new IHD only shows the new electricity meter, so I now have to go outside into the cold to read the old gas meter and send those in myself.

Hi guys, newbie here!

Ā 

I moved into a house a year ago that has a SMETS1 meter, but there was no in home-display.

Ā 

I called OVO and asked for a new display. They say they have none in stock and added me to a waiting list which I have been on for forever. In truth I think they will never send me one.

Ā 

In my dismay I purchase a SECURE Pipit 500 In-Home Energy Display meter (that shows the FirstUtility logo on startup) from eBay and rang OVO to get it connected. It didnā€™t work.

Ā 

Should I proceed with trying to get this to work? If so, how?

Should I get another SECURE Pipit 500 In-Home Energy Display, this time not registered to any utility provider?

Should I pester OVO to get me an officialĀ one?

Should I get something more like aĀ ivie Bud? Will OVO pay for this?

Ā 

All I want to do is very my energy usage, and I feel like OVO donā€™t care one bit.

Ā 

Thanks, Steve

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

HiĀ @stevowmtĀ ,

Unfortunately, no supplier is prepared to support an IHD purchased from unauthorised sources for security and integrity reasons. As a result, OVO wonā€™t support nor pair an IHD purchased on eBay.

Additionally, itā€™s the consensus of the Forum Volunteers (such as myself) and the Forum Moderators here on the OVO Forum that we will likewise not provide any support or assistance with eBay purchased IHDs, other than to recommend you return them for a refund.

We strongly recommend against buying any more IHDs off of eBay.

The Secure Pipit 500 has reached End of Sale at the manufacturer Secure, so there wonā€™t ever be any more stocks of them. The Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 is a thing that OVO can get, but stocks are constantly being drained due to massive demand and very limited supply from Chameleon. The only ones OVO will pay for are the ones OVO supplies directly - youā€™re liable to cover the costs of any other third-party IHD yourself Iā€™m afraid. And if you get scammed by the eBay IHD Rip-Off Machine Scammersā€¦Ā Sorry but youā€™re on your own there.

Your best option is either the ivie Bud or Hildebrand Glow IHD. Weā€™ve got a guide on both of them that youā€™re welcome to check out.

Ā 

Hi @Blastoise186, thanks for your reply!

All understood, I will return the eBay one I bought!

You say the Chameleon IHD6-CAD-PPMID-S1 is a thing that OVO can get, but stocks are constantly being drained due to massive demand and very limited supply from Chameleon. Is there a chance I will ever get one of these from Ovo?

If not I will go withĀ either the ivie Bud or Hildebrand Glow IHD. Can they be paired by me, or do OVO have to do it?

Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries! Use the eBay Money Back Guarantee if you have to - this is what itā€™s there for.

Itā€™s possible you might eventually get that IHD from OVO, but upstream stock at Chameleon is so terrible youā€™d be waiting some time unless you were considered high priority - PAYG customers are generally higher priority for them than PAYM customers because they rely on the IHD so heavily. Itā€™ll be faster if you get one yourself.

Both the Bud and Glow can be self-paired. They use very slightly different methods but itā€™s reasonably easy to do. :)

Thanks again @Blastoise186! Final one: would OVO switch me from a SMETS1 meter to a SMETS2, thus making getting a new IHD much easier? Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If itā€™s a SMETS1 thatā€™s migrated to DCC successfully and is working fine, Iā€™m afraid not.

However, if itā€™s a SMETS1 thatĀ failsĀ to migrate to DCC or does migrate and then fails irrecoverably, you become eligible for a meter swap to S2.

If you currently have a SMETS1 EDMI setupā€¦Ā Youā€™re already eligible for a swap to S2 - let the Support Team know and theyā€™ll arrange it.

Thanks @Blastoise186, how would I know if I have a SMETS1 EDMI setup? Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can do that. :)

Show me some snaps and Iā€™ll be able to identify the setup

Thanks so much @Blastoise186, please see attached.

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That's S1 Itron :)

Sorry @Blastoise186, what does that meanĀ šŸ¤£ They wonā€™t replace it? Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Iā€™m afraid so. Itā€™s good for at least another four years as far as I can tell

I had my SMETS 2 smart meters installed on 22nd May 2023. It took a couple of months before the meter started sending readings to OVO but it's since been sending readings daily which is great.

Ā 

I was given an IHD when they installed the smart meter and told it would take 24 hours before it worked. I left it a couple of weeks plugged in less than a meter from the smart meter but never got any data. I've gone through at least 10+ live chats with OVO customer services whilst they tried to remotely repair the IHD. All but one worked, I briefly had historic gas usage showing but no live data and no electricity. This lasted for around an hour and the final live chat attempt completely broke the IHD and I was told I'd need a new one as it was no longer communicating remotely.

Ā 

Several customer service operators have told me that the IHD order has been requested but they can't tell me how long it will be until I receive it. I chased multiple times but gave up and realised I wasn't going to get anywhere when I kept getting the same answer. I even asked if I could submit a formal complaint to see if that would expedite the process but again I've heard nothing. This was probably 2 months ago now and I still have no IHD.

Ā 

I moved into my property last year and being considerably older than my last house (new build) the bills are significantly more so I was really keen to have an IHD before we head into winter and I could monitor live spend data, particularly gas usage, so I'd know when to click the central heating off.Ā 

Ā 

Anyone else able to give me timescales on their experience of receiving an IHD?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I was able to get one delivered to me in under a week. However, this was in early 2021 when stocks were extremely healthy for S2 IHDs.

If you want an IHDĀ now, I have options for you. I donā€™t get any commission or kickback for these.

Also, you wonā€™t get live real-time gas usage either regardless of what IHD you have. Gas meters only heartbeat once every 30 minutes, so the IHD will only show half-hourly snapshots.

My smart meter and IHD was installed in March 2023 and stopped working in August 2023. I have tried to get OVO to look at it without success. Now they say they want me to agree to a Ā£30 penalty if I have to cancel an agreed techician visit. Say I have a heart attack and I had to cancel the appointment, I do not think it fair it would cost me Ā£30. After all the smart meter and IHD is OVOā€™s property and not my responsibility. I have refused to agree to the Ā£30 penalty.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

HiĀ @SFR

I don't work for OVO, I am just a customer like you.Ā 

The penalty term is part of the ovo standard terms and conditions that you are already signed up to when you joined. You can't pick and choose the terms.Ā 

It doesn'tĀ  say you will be charged, just that you may be charged. I would have thought ovo isn't going to charge you if you have a heart attack given the wording if it is explained to them you have had a heart attack.Ā 

I am also confident the Ombudsman would be on your side if that is really needed.Ā 

(b)Ā when you havenā€™t kept an agreed appointment with us or our agents. If you make an appointment and canā€™t keep it, you must let us know 24 hours before the appointment, or you may have to pay a fee for the appointment;

https://www.ovoenergy.com/terms

Thanks for the advice. Time to move to a different supplier. I guess Iā€™m risk averse.

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Actually, the same rules apply across the board. No matter who youā€™re with, that Ā£30 missed appointment penalty applies.

HOWEVER, it is able to be waived in certain situations. A medical emergency would have a 100% chance of a fee waiver being granted for example.

Userlevel 7

Hey @SFR,

Ā 

The penalty applies only if you cancel within 24 hours or donā€™t notify us at all. Itā€™s to OVOā€™s discretion, so if something happened like a customer having a heart attack or other medical issue, I think it is seriously unlikely for them to get charged.Ā 

Ā 

The reason this rule is in place is so that engineer time isnā€™t wasted and they are able to see customers who need appointments.Ā 

My smart meter home display has stopped working I have waited three weeks for a new on I am still waiting is this normalĀ 

I have phoned the company all I get is that itā€™s in the post that was two weeks agoĀ 

I am thinking off changing my supplierĀ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please show us photos of what youā€™ve got.

My smart meter is situated in a cupboard in a communal corridor and therefore not easily accessed. The previous property owner did not leave a monitor. How can I monitor meter readings without using the meter itself?

Can I buy a remote monitor that can be linked to the meter?

Is there an app that I can download that can be linked?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @bobfĀ ,

You might be able to get a replacement IHD. The Hildebrand Glow IHD works especially well with Secure Liberty meters. Youā€™ll want the SMETS1 variant fromĀ https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/display-and-cad-combined-for-smart-meter-customersĀ . I wonā€™t get any kickback or commission if you make a purchase, however I am known to Hildebrand as Iā€™ve spoken to them a few times.

Alternatively, check out my guide below for other options.

Ā 

Many thanksĀ