Solved

How do I get an In-Home Display (IHD) for my Smart meter?

Show first post

207 replies

Hi I have SMETS 1 meters. Secure Liberty 100 & Secure Liberty EG4v 10 I believe they send frequent readings. I wanted the IHD to see real time usage to help understand & reduce the family usage.Ā 

Just had another email from OVO advising they can no longer supply

despite being assured I had one on back order which I have been chasing for over a year

ā€œunfortunately we don't have in home displays in for the smets 1 and have stopped getting them in.ā€

The IHD has always been (& still is) advertised as a great way to track & reduce your energy usage.

I assume not for OVO the more I use the better :0)

Again any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks AgainĀ 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

HeyĀ @MilleniosĀ ,

Unfortunately, the Secure Pipit 500 is no longer manufactured by Secure, thereā€™s no way for OVO to get more of those. Itā€™s not some kind of plot to make more money - just a case that the Pipit 500 is ancient and not made anymore.

Hildebrand can help thoughĀ with their Hildebrand Glow IHD. You can get one viaĀ https://shop.glowmarkt.com/products/display-and-cad-combined-for-smart-meter-customers?variant=36560284352664

This link has been adapted purely to make sure you get the right version. If you use it, I wonā€™t get anything out of the sale.

Alternatively, the ivie Bud is an option https://ivie.co.ukĀ .

ThanksĀ Blastoise186Ā  Interesting to know there are options. I would have assumed OVO would source these as an alternative, as I understand the IHD is supplied FOC as part of the contract. Seems ironic to pay Ā£69.00 as for a cost saving device Heh.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unfortunately, those IHDs are third party. While OVO does allow you to use them of course, thereā€™s no arrangement in place to provide those models for free - and neither of them is designed to be given out by a supplier either, or at least, not these versions.

You get one IHD for free at meter installation as a gift, but after that itā€™s up to you. Where possible and subject to stock, OVO always aims to send one out for free if you move into a property without one. However, the Pipit 500 is irreplaceable with like-for-like ones and S1 compatible IHDs are like gold dust.

Hi. Just joined have been with Ovo for about 2 years, have smart meter but would like to get IHD in my flat hopping someone can tell me how to go about it? thank you

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

HiĀ @Madmy55Ā , depending on which smart meter youā€™ve got, you could ask customer support if they have any available.Ā 

Customer Support Ā - Ā tel:03303035063

Webchat Ā -https://help.ovoenergy.com/#contact_us_container

Hereā€™s a guide to various versions

You can also see similar data via authorised third party apps

Ā 

Why have I not received an in-house display, will I ever get an in house display. Been with OVO over 2 years from SSE and still no in house display.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you havenā€™t had an IHD yet, let the Support Team know.

HiĀ @BEVVY99 - I've moved your post onto this thread - you should find the info you need above.

Cheers!

Been waiting 2 years for an IHD.

Hi. I still not received smart meter which I ordered 2months ago

I have been without an IHD since being moved from SSE 2 years ago,Ā  because OVO say they don't have any is this true or are they lying.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Kasia.bĀ ,

Please contact the Support Team about this. https://ovoenergy.com/helpĀ .

However, if your ordered the IHD anywhere other than OVO, then OVO Support cannot assist with that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Please post photos of the meter on the wall.

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I see.

OVO speaks the truth. You have a SMETS1 Honeywell Elster meter, for which stocks of compatible IHDs are literal gold dust right now.

Ā 

It's ok they told me I would get a new meter this time last year but it never happened, so perhaps telling customers lies is something they do. šŸ˜Ŗ

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO is attempting to get more IHDs in that are S1 compatible. But theyā€™re fighting literally every other supplier too - thereā€™s only so many to go around

When I was with SSE I had a perfectly good IHD,Ā  when we moved over OVO turned it off. Perhaps they we're a bit to quick to take on all SSE customers.Ā  Never mind just have to live without one but I thought that was the reason to have a smart meter so you could see what you were using.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I suspect you had an SSE Energy Tracker, also known as the IHDL SmartView.

Unfortunately, those units were poorly designed and many of themĀ have failed as a result of the DCC migration. It would have happened regardless of which supplier you were with.

šŸ‘

To be fair, I am waiting for a replacement IHD and was told they canā€™t tell me when it will arrive because theyā€™ve just had to return a huge faulty batch and simply donā€™t have any at the moment.Ā  This was yesterday.Ā 

Thatā€™s a replacement for a Geo Trio II supplied by OVO in December with newĀ SMETS2 meters.

Like a lot of companies nowadays trying to run before they can walk.Ā  Ā šŸ„“

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Except that Chameleon, Geo and Hildebrand have been going for a long time and are very experienced in IHDs. It just sometimes happens that you get an unlucky batch every once in a while.

Userlevel 6

When I moved in here there were old SMETS1 meters, and a British Gas IHD.

I signed up with SSE. and then in January got transferred to OVO - in all of my time with SSE and OVO the BG IHD still gave me readings, it just wasn't able to pass them to the supplier.

I think what I am saying is if you still have SMETS1 meter(s) and the IHD that goes with them it will still work for YOU (meter readings etc.) It just won't send data to OVO.

OVO fairly recently changed my electricity meter (but not the Gas) to a SMETS2, although they didn't give me a new IHDĀ  I did manage to request a one and got sent one a few weeks later that works with the new meter, but the old gas meter is now totally dumb.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

SMETS1 and SMETS2 kit are not cross-compatible with each other Iā€™m afraid. S1 only works with S1 and S2 only works with S2.

The IHD never really talks to the supplier as itā€™s just a device for the customer to look atĀ - the meters do the submissions rather than the IHD.