Solved

How do I get an In-Home Display (IHD) for my Smart meter?

Show first post

207 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

So how difficult is to get a home monitor?

From last March until now we've been fobbed of with excuse after excuse as to why we haven't been sent one and now apparently there is a 2 year backlog!!

Customer service is practically useless and you spend more time on hold than talking to someone.

Ā 

Hi @IanthejockĀ Did you have your smart meters installed last March and not get an IHD (In Home Display) given to you then?

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like youĀ 

So how difficult is to get a home monitor?

From last March until now we've been fobbed of with excuse after excuse as to why we haven't been sent one and now apparently there is a 2 year backlog!!

Customer service is practically useless and you spend more time on hold than talking to someone.

Ā 

HiĀ @IanthejockĀ Did you have your smart meters installed last March and not get an IHD (In Home Display) given to you then?

I don't work for OVO, i am just a customer like youĀ 

We moved in and the one we had was incompatible. So we've been trying to get a new one since about March last year.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unfortunately, itā€™s ultimately down to supply and demand issues. OVO isnā€™t Chameleonā€™s only customer and tons of suppliers use Chameleon IHDs, so thereā€™s only so many of them to go around at any given time. Both Hildebrand and ivie will happily sell you one though if youā€™re interested and theyā€™ll both work fine.

If you want one thatā€™s as close as possible to the stuff OVO gives out, go for the ivie Bud. If you fancy doing more magic tricks with it, then the Hildebrand Glow IHD is the better choice.

I reported my In Home Display as being faulty. Ovo tried to cure the problem there end but had no luck. They ordered me a new on before Christmas & as yet not received a new one (March) Ovo keep saying it's on it's way but still no luck. Anyone else having this problem? Really miss IHD as it's better than the appĀ 

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about this delay in getting your replacement In Home Display sent out.Ā 

Ā 

I must say that I much prefer my web based online account usage charts:Ā https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=monthly

Ā 

This is also worth a look:

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I reported my In Home Display as being faulty. Ovo tried to cure the problem there end but had no luck. They ordered me a new on before Christmas & as yet not received a new one (March) Ovo keep saying it's on it's way but still no luck. Anyone else having this problem? Really miss IHD as it's better than the appĀ 

Hi @Kevan

You could try putting in a complaint, that can sometimes help speed up things.Ā 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

After 8 weeks you can get the Energy Ombudsman involved.Ā 

You can also leave a review on Trustpilot which also sometimes helps

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.ovoenergy.com

Thanks so much for your replies, really appreciate it. As of today the app is no longer showing me daily, monthly usage. I've had this b4 as have a lot of customers. But it did right itself after almost a month.Ā  Thanks again for your help.Ā  Kev

They fitted us with 2 x new SM Gas ans Electric in Oct 22 with a new IHD, none of them work and CS team keep asking me to provide readings, so you are not alone!

Ā 

All I can say is good luck.

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7

@KevanĀ your online usage pages should be up and running again, I think you were affected by a temporaryĀ drop out that also affected me and others at the end of last week.Ā 

Ā 

@yetanothernameĀ sorry to hear about this, I assume youā€™ve been asked to do a smart meter health check?

Yes ovo did all the checks but nothing worked so sending a new one. That was Christmas & as of today 15/3/23 heard nothingĀ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes ovo did all the checks but nothing worked so sending a new one. That was Christmas & as of today 15/3/23 heard nothingĀ 

@KevanĀ 

I am unconvinced the OVO Support Team are being clear enough for all customers just how long it will take for a replacement IHD to be dispatched.Ā 

I suggest you log a complaint given your example so you can be sure it is properly tracked if you haven't alreadyĀ 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/feedback

After 8 weeks you can ask the Energy Ombudsman to help

Ā 

Ā 

I have been waiting over 7 month & all I get is sorry!! Then when I complain I get we will get in touch within what Eva scale they tell me yet am still waiting itā€™s a disgrace šŸ˜”šŸ˜”šŸ˜”

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Weā€™ve said it here many times. If you fancy a new IHD, your options can be found in this guide:

Ā 

Hi all,

I am a new OVO customer.

I do not have an IHD though I would like one so I don't have to keep checking the app for my usage.

Is it easy to be sent one from OVO?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

HiĀ @Maria WalkerĀ ,

You can request one, but there may be a wait. Iā€™ve got faster options for you at this guide:

Ā 

I have a Smart Meter but not an In-House Display unit. How can I go about getting one?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can ask customer support although Iā€™m not sure about supply at present. Alternatively take a look at thisĀ 

and thus show some alternative apps should you need more dataĀ 

Ā 

we have just come back to Ovo and now need to get smart meter up and running Ā we also need a new digital smart meter so we can see what we are using

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Lorraine5691Ā can I ask how recently you switched? It does take a while for smart meters to re-sync when switching suppliers

We switched 01.04.Ā  We used to be with OVO a few years back and had smart meter so just need it to work

HiĀ @Lorraine5691Ā can I ask how recently you switched? It does take a while for smart meters to re-sync when switching suppliers

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Ah, ok. It can take around 6 weeks for the connection to sort itself out so itā€™s worth checking every so often to see if readings are being automatically sent

You can check here

https://account.ovoenergy.com/meter-readings

I had some work done in my house and put the little usage thing in a safe place.Ā  Is it possible to get a new one?

It's the little thing that showsĀ  exact usage for gas and electricity.Ā 

Thank youĀ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

You can indeed, but youā€™ll need to pay for one.

Either the ivie Bud or Hildebrand Glow IHD should work.

Please can anyone suggest how can I get an OVO IHD, I have been supplied previously with one which wonā€™t work.Ā OVO have advised itā€™s faulty, I have the wrong smart meters, I have the right smart meters but they need a firmware updated which will be completed Feb 2023. or they have no stock (I have been waiting over a year)Ā 

I have emailed & called OVO multiple times & get a different answer most times.

My last contact via email I was advisedĀ 

ā€œRegarding your IHD, we have no timeframe of this as we have none in stock at the moment.ā€

Ā 

PreviouslyĀ I was advised the below, I called to arrange for the meters to be exchangedĀ 

only to be advised they canā€™t change the meters (I have the older SMETS 1 meters)

ā€œUnfortunately were having issues with the supply of the smart one in home displays. We could arrange for meter exchanges on both gas and electric. If you would like to arrange this please call our customer care team on 0330 303 5063 and well be happy to help.ā€

Ā 

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ā 

Ā 

Userlevel 7

Hi @MilleniosĀ and thanks for posting this.Ā 

Ā 

Thereā€™s lots here to unpack. Itā€™s tricky to give advice on your smart meters as weā€™re not sure of the situation exactly. The vast majority of first generation smart meters have now been enrolled and adopted onto the same network as the second generation smart meters. If your meter canā€™t do this for any reason, it will get replaced. I believe the latest deadline across the industry for this is now the end of 2023:

Ā 

Ā 

Could you confirm what type of first generation smart meter you have?Ā 

Ā 

Can you confirm if this smart meter sends us your meter readings remotely? If it does and itā€™s set up to send us your usage every 30 minutes, you have great insight available via your online account:Ā https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage

Ā 

@Blastoise186Ā also made this guide on sourcing replacement In Home Displays, but before you get one make sure itā€™s compatible with your meter type:

Ā 

Ā