Solved

How do I get an In-Home Display (IHD) for my Smart meter?

Show first post

207 replies

We donā€™t have an actual physical smartmeter to see real time meter readings, can only see a day later via OVO app - is this the case for others?Ā 
thanksĀ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I presume you mean that you donā€™t have an IHD (in home display)? The OVO account is only updated at the end of every day but you could sign up to Loop to get some info during the day. It wonā€™t be real-time but it does update every few hours via the actual smartmeters (presuming you have them)

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/my%2Dsmart%2Dhome%2D138/smart%2Dmeter%2Ddata%2Dfeeds%2Doptions%2Davailable%2D12704

Thanks, Iā€™llĀ take a look, yes we have smart metersĀ Ā but can only see data on OVO app, whereas others seem to have the monitors. It never bothered me before but of course I am keeping an eye now!Ā 

This is a complete nightmare, I have the same issue and have made 4 or 5 attempts to have one sent, each time being informed yes one is on its way, but nothing ever shows up. Hopeless. TriedĀ SSE Ā originally then ovo latterly after the rebrand. Almost given up.Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @mulacsĀ ,

Try this guide:Ā 

Iā€™ve documented loads of options you can use.

Userlevel 7

Hey @CazB49,

Ā 

Welcome to the OVO Online Community,

Ā 

You might be able to request an In Home Display replacement with our Support Team, although I know there is very low stock at the moment and new installs will be prioritized.

Ā 

We also have this brilliant article written by one of our community members @Blastoise186:

Ā 

Ā 

Thanks I did try that but was 351 in the queue so gave up! Iā€™ll try again!Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

If you want to try Loop it gives use as the day goes but a few hours behind. It looks like thisĀ 

Or thereā€™s Bright which is similar.Ā 

Theyā€™re both free and can show comparisons as well.Ā 
Either might get you up and running fairly quicklyĀ 

Thank you šŸ˜ŠĀ 

Userlevel 3

Thanks I did try that but was 351 in the queue so gave up! Iā€™ll try again!Ā 

Good grief! I donā€™t blame you hanging up. I would have done likewise.

I contacted OVO, via their messaging service, mid-Sept in regards to requiring an IHD, I was told one would be sent. I waited for a month and was then told there was a wait for them due to stock levels, but I've still not heard or received anything.

It is getting frustrating not being able to monitor in real time (app only updates next day). Is there anymore information on when these are likely to become available?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

HeyĀ @KPPĀ ,

Iā€™m one of the forum volunteers. We do get some extra info about this sort of thing from time to time.

My understanding of the current situation is that stocks are limited and theyā€™re mostly prioritised for cases where:

• Itā€™s a brand new smart meter install - the engineer will always provide you with an IHDĀ on the spot whenever possible for this and get it set up for you
  • Youā€™veĀ neverĀ had one at all - OVO will try to get one sent out to you as best they can
  • Youā€™re on Smart Pay As You Go - because these members rely on IHDs to monitor credit and top-up manually

Thereā€™s also a few cases where youā€™ll probably get pushed down the queue a bit:

• You broke your existing IHD - and itā€™s not a fault caused by something the warranty covers
  • Youā€™ve already had several IHDs
  • Youā€™re out of warranty on the existing IHD
  • OVO isnā€™t able to get a compatible IHD for you at the time of the request
  • Your meters arenā€™t on DCC yet - most likely to affectĀ SMETS1

If you still fancy one now, Iā€™ve got options for you:

Ā 

How do I request a new smart energy monitor?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This guide might helpĀ 

There are links to support and other options depending on if this is your first unit

Our old Smartmeter monitor is broken. Can I purchase a new one anywhere. Ā How do I determine what specifications I need do a new one.Ā 
Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @paulb59Ā take a look here for info

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you get stuck with figuring anything out, let me know in this thread and Iā€™ll help you out.

Hi,
If you mean the little device with a screen etc. Mine broke years ago.

If it helps there is a mobile app you can use. Thats all I have.
On Android its called OVO energy app.
It only gives pretty much the same as the web site i.e. Its not real time.

Thanks all. OVO Customer service said they would send another one when back in stockĀ 

Hi,

Ā 

Been on a smart meter for some years now but never got a IHD when they did it.Ā  Didn't think of it at the time but now it would be interesting to get a real time display of usage to see what the big user items are etc. The app is great but it's not real time.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Anyone know how I can get hold of one and if they are actually useful ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You should be able to request an IHD but they are occasionally low on supply. Contact via customer supportĀ https://www.ovoenergy.com/help

Theyā€™re pretty useful to look at energy use as it happens through the day and for previous days

There are also a series of third part apps which are quite useful too

Ā 

Good luck! We were promised an in house display unit in 2021. We are still waitingā€¦ OVO just keep saying they havenā€™t any and donā€™t know when they will get any.Ā 
We were automatically transferred from SSE and just wish we could go back to them as OVO are simply awful to deal with.Ā 

Userlevel 7

Hey @MrE,

Ā 

Sorry to hear this,

Ā 

Iā€™ll get Forum_Support to reach out, please keep an eye on your private messages.Ā 

Ā 

Hope this helps.Ā 

So how difficult is to get a home monitor?

From last March until now we've been fobbed of with excuse after excuse as to why we haven't been sent one and now apparently there is a 2 year backlog!!

Customer service is practically useless and you spend more time on hold than talking to someone.

Ā 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya!

Have you tried these options?

Ā