Solved

Can I get a replacement for my broken smart meter In-Home Display (IHD)?

Show first post

56 replies

Thanks @Tim_OVO, appreciate the assistance.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Madsocks79 me again!

I’ve been advised that for Secure Liberty smart meters, with faulty Chameleon IHD3, you have two options currently:

1. A remote back-end action to try and reconnect and fix issue. Our Support team can help with this. 
  2. A Pipet IHD to be sent out (currently low stock). Our Support team can add you to a list to be sent one.  
  3. We’re not sure if it’s a good solution to recommend buying a Pipet yourself. These are supposed to be provided by us, free of charge.

One ray of hope it the possibility of IHD6s being available for all smart meters once upgraded, at some point in the future. These will be the latest model so supply chains will be in fine working order. I am offering no promises, but in my opinion, the online account with a half-hourly reads smart meter is better then a Pipet anyway….

Had a Smart Meter installed on 7 December. The display did not work and I was told to wait 24 hours but still not working. Called OVO who told me I would get a new display in  4 weeks!.  Called them today as I still do not have the display and I was told that basically there is a backlog and, although I am high up on the list, they have no idea when I will get the display meanwhile, though, I an log on to my account to see my usage!).

I have only just moved to OVO because I thought Symbio were bad - now having second thoughts. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @laurencemartin ,

Sorry to hear of the trouble. OVO isn’t the only supplier to use the Chameleon IHD3 and IHD6 as it’s a pretty common model. Chameleon Technology has been struggling to keep up with the huge demand recently but they’re working to restore supplies and OVO is working to restock them as fast as possible.

In the meantime, you can try to check your usage using MyOVO and the OVO Energy app. It’s not quite as elegant, but it should do the job. If you still want usage data now, there are alternative workarounds that might be possible but they’d be at your own risk.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @laurencemartin - could you elaborate on what you mean by

The display did not work

Our advice would be different depending on whether it is simply displaying erroneous data or if the display screen is completely blank!

Has anyone else been told can have new in house device but none in stock is there a massive delay lost without mine ! Advised to reset as tariff not updated now frozen on screen 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Nananne ,

If you want one now your best options can be found in my guide.

Going to unplug let power go off and retry in morning as read on other posts x

We have smart meters outside, but was not given the internal smart display, how do we get one

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Paul Collett ,

Best option is to use Live Chat via https://help.ovoenergy.com or call 0330 303 5063. They’ll send one out to you!

Thanks , will follow your guidance 

1st generation smart meter, no IHD monitor as not compatible? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Fancyfeet ,

You might still be able to get one! Try this guide

Hi smart meter is constantly cycling through all the screens and I can't get it to rest on any one screen. It is also unresponsive to me touching the screen.

I want to check my daily cash usage which the.smart meter display shows, as this is not available on the app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Clairesellars1 

I could do with seeing some photos of this before I can advise anything

Userlevel 7

That does sound like a faulty smart meter display, @Clairesellars1. But not sure if you’re referring to the physical meter attached to the wall or your In Home Display (IHD). 

If the actual meter display screen is constantly cycling through all of the screens and is unresponsive when you press buttons, you can arrange a non-emergency faulty meter exchange by calling our Support team:  0330 303 5063.

If it’s the IHD, you can see costs and usage via your online account: https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage and https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-history

Moved in on 3 Feb 2022 inherited a “Home Energy Display” that continued to give good service, despite the change of ownership, for the next two months. On 10 April the unit just stopped working - that's when it all began to go wrong!  When we first moved in we realised we had little time to mess about and immediately set about looking for a a dual energy supplier and purely because the previous owners had used Ovo, I rang Ovo Sales who sold the service as being a smaller supplier that was able to offer a one to one service in all areas giving a caring, friendly and meaningful customer service!  Not bad I thought and after reading reviews, joined OVO,  When the Home Energy Display turned it’s toes up, naturally I rang OVO help - that was the beginning of an 11 month - ongoing - nightmare.  Promises of “There is one in the post for you” twice, to “An engineer had been dispatched” both with no further contact, no letter or email of confirmation (wonder why) the only promise “It will all be sorted soon”  and I still wait - make a complaint - forget it, has anyone found a way to make a complaint within the walls of OVO?  Please, if anyone knows a way to get my broken unit replaced, please, please do let me know.  Even OVO, although I doubt it! and my body is too old to sell for medical research.  Perhaps moving supplier could be a contender?      

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not quite the same @Diomede but there are free authorised third party apps available which do give useful - and often very reliable - data

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s also quite likely that the 1 year warranty on the current IHD has lapsed. Unfortunately, you’re no longer entitled to a free replacement after that happens even if you switch supplier.

Your best bet is one of the other options we’ve provided.

Hi Everyone

Hoping someone can help, on Sunday my In house display unit stopped working in fact it was frozen at 21.06pm.  Now the In house display unit is an old one I have when I was a customer of SSE.  Telephone on monday and spoke to as lady who asked me various questions about serial number and I kept telling her it is an old one well in the end she said someone would call me back about getting a new one, so far nobody has made contact.  Any suggestions on how I go about getting a new one I have tried various means of communication with OVO but cannot seem to get anywhere.  HELP.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @KazzaS

Could you post a photo of the In Home Display?

It may help others suggest something. 

I have manage to get it working again but would like to change it to an updated version if poss.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @KazzaS

Try running this check and post what it says. 

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

This may help identify what your options are. 

I now confused as my smart meters outside for both electric and gas are working ok and sending readings every 30 mins.  How does this help with my in house display unit???  very confused….

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I now confused as my smart meters outside for both electric and gas are working ok and sending readings every 30 mins.  How does this help with my in house display unit???  very confused….

Your 30 min readings can be seen on the usage page of your account https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=daily&unit=kwh

so you can check for each half hour when you used energy .. could help with seeing what you can switch off or down