Tutorial

SMETS2 Smart Meter installation

SMETS2 Smart Meter installation

Show first post

133 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Blanik - Your comments and observations are welcome here whether you’re an OVO customer or not.

Whilst the Data Communications Company (DCC) was still being formed, it was left to the numerous Energy Suppliers to find their own way to build data networks capable of running SMETS1 meters. That they did so in such a way as to make systems incompatible with each other was a clear demonstration of why we need Ofgem as a central regulator for the energy sector!

As you’re with Octopus, I’d be interested to know whether you have availed yourself of their Agile Tariff, which offers genuine variable-pricing TOU (Time Of Use) billing.

If the DCC came into existence earlier, my ex BG SMETS1 could have been enrolled, I could then have used them with Octopus, and the meters would never have needed to be swapped. The problem was the long delay between SMETS1 and the DCC, or the slack specifications for SMETS1 that allowed them to be incompatible between different manufacturers.

Regarding Agile, the evening peak rate is too expensive for my usage, I am cheaper on GO with 4 hours charging on a cheap rate overnight. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

These comments are illuminating and useful, @Blanik . Thanks for taking the trouble to give us these insights.

I think if DCC had “gone live” any earlier it wouldn’t have been as robust as was necessary. In particular the IT personnel needed sufficient time for GCHQ to advise on the encryption systems and verify that the UK Domestic Energy services couldn’t be infiltrated by any 3rd party with hostile intent.

Barring the odd outage, I’d say that DCC has been a success… especially if you compare with many other Government-run projects which have IT systems at their heart!

Your observations on the Agile Tariff are essentially correct. The two aims of this tariff are:

a; make it viable for customers to incorporate some forms of energy storage which can be drawn on during peak-usage times

b; make better use of locally available generation

I don’t know whereabouts you are in the country, so I can’t see what proportion of renewable energy resources are available within your local Distribution Grid. But if you’d care to fill out your Forum Profile, I might be able to give a more detailed response.

In the not too distant future, all Energy Suppliers will need to offer some TOU Tariffs. So I’m sure the Moderators and other OVO staff will appreciate hearing your views on what Octopus currently provide.

We live in interesting times...

So got the smart meters installed, and thought I'd been busgetingnwell, ihd been telling me I was using average 9p in gas per day so clearly wasn't including standing charge. Used to tell me electric usage but that's disappeared from the display totally and can't be accessed. Any way bill day today and Gas bill much higher than what the display has been telling me everyday, what a complete waste of time, and OVO despite claiming to save money has been the most expensive company I've ever been with, faulty equipment just final straw will be leaving at end of contract

Updated 07/08/2020 - Removed unnecessary high resolution images to help with page loading issue.

So got the smart meters installed, and thought I'd been busgetingnwell, ihd been telling me I was using average 9p in gas per day so clearly wasn't including standing charge. Used to tell me electric usage but that's disappeared from the display totally and can't be accessed. Any way bill day today and Gas bill much higher than what the display has been telling me everyday, what a complete waste of time, and OVO despite claiming to save money has been the most expensive company I've ever been with, faulty equipment just final straw will be leaving at end of contract

When the electric was displayed prices matched, looking at photos now can see ovo engineer didn't have a clue and has set wrong tariff completely for gas instead of 3.60 pence kwh he's put 0.36p and same for standing charge instead of 28.7p day has put 2.87p. Absolute complete incompetence and totally unacceptable. Smart meter that don't display electric any more and a not so smart company

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @1159skunk and thanks for joining the Forum with a magnificent portfolio of extra hi-resolution photos!

Firstly, if your SMETS2 Smart Meters have recently been installed, then they’ll still be going through the offsite commissioning process. The setting of your tariff is the final part of the process. It has nothing to do with the installation engineer.

Have a read through this topic on Smart Meter Installation where you’ll find most of your questions already answered.

I have to say that the quality and helpfulness of @Transparent ’s replies are superb.  If Ovo isn’t paying you for your contributions here, then I’d be very disappointed.  If they are, then it’s money extremely well spent.  I couldn’t imagine a more helpful and informed set of responses.  Thank you so much, @Transparent.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

:hugging: Thanks @impala … and I’m impressed that you were awake reading the Forum at 1am !

I receive no incentives from OVO, financial or otherwise. I think there’s a real value in a site like this having independent contributors. Unlike the team of six Moderators, I have no contract of employment and I don’t have to stick to an official company policy on anything.

I know I could get a better energy contract elsewhere, but I like the direction in which OVO are heading. The technologies that they’re building on top of their Kaluza Platform have great potential to help us lower our carbon footprint and combat Climate Change.

Contrarywise, I think they’re being less adventurous than they could be. Although the new Billing System is ideally-suited for genuine Time Of Use tariffs, they don’t offer one.

And the OVO implementation of Smart Meter technology is currently behind that of some rival Energy Suppliers. For example, the Usage statistics we see online don’t incorporate any aspect of the Energy Mix we enjoy, despite the company wanting to push its green credentials.

Most customer comments about Smart Meters are still largely complaints and problems. We need to move beyond that and see positive stories from end-users with innovative energy-savings strategies built above the underlying Smart Meter foundation.