News

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Show first post

391 replies

hi, thanks for the response. I think the wallbox charger is configured by default to instantly charges the car as soon as its plugged in, which i think overrides the settings on the ovo app and as a result, it assumes that I actually do want to charge right away. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Is your EV compatible @Sirus67 or your charger?

It may depend on that to use the correct control mechanism (below taken from another post)

The Charge Anytime app is used for direct to vehicle (D2V) control. Where a customer has an eligible vehicle but does not have an eligible charger, they should use the D2V app. Where a customer has an eligible charger (regardless of whether or not their vehicle is eligible), they should use the charger app.

The difference between the two at the moment is that the D2V customer will see savings in their D2V app, whilst the charger customer can see savings in a page called “Your EV” in the My OVO account.

If a customer has an eligible charger and has downloaded the D2V app, they are likely to be setting schedules in multiple apps which will cause a conflict in commands being sent to charge the battery. As a result they may miss their ready by times and will probably not be able to reconcile their Charge Anytime credits.

Badge

Hi , I have a Hyundai Tucson and use the Pod Point Solo 3 to charge it but neither appear on your list of compatible cars or chargers for the Charge Anytime

I have a smart meter , I’ve been a customer for some time and both the car and charger are connected to the internet, can you advise what is preventing further cars/chargers not being able to sign up to the Charge Anytime at the moment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @Paul Thomas ,

Sure thing. Just so you know, I’m one of the forum volunteers here.

Unfortunately, PodPoint is owned by EDF these days and Kaluza informed us a few weeks ago that there’d be a conflict of interest on PodPoint’s side if PodPoint tried to partner with Kaluza due to the EDF thing.

Hyundai is on the radar for Charge Anytime support, but there’s no available timescale and it relies on Hyundai being interested in making that connection. Watch this space!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes, the system needs a communication protocol between both ends and if organisations are unable to offer full detail (often for commercial reasons), then that prevents the match needed. 

Badge

Hi

I have recently switched to Ovo energy because of charge anytime tariff. On the offers tab on my account, when I enter my vehicle details (ID3 with software 3.18), I get the response that my EV is not compatible. I have a Podpoint charger and smart meters from Scottish Power. Any idea about why the system is not allowing me to add the charge anytime when my EV is compatible according to the information everywhere else on the website. 

Thanks for you help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @igpiracha , there’s a few things to look at. Needing a smart meter with 30 min readings and then there’s a time after the switch for the meters to sync. 

Also if you have solar PV, they can’t at present see where power comes from unless you have a specific charger.
There’s an FAQ page here

Userlevel 7

Hi @igpiracha 

This sounds similar to issues described here:

and here:

@markvwid4 @deklinda did you resolve this and get Charge Anytime added via Direct to Vehicle to your BMW?

Badge

I have solved this issue.

Step 1. ignore the OVO website.

Step 2. download the app

Step 3. Sign up and it will work with the VW.id4

The error is on the OVO website where you select the dropdown boxes. not the actual system or app. Someone who coded/ setup the website did not do it right. 

Badge

Thanks. Which app are you talking about for us to download and sign up? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Thanks. Which app are you talking about for us to download and sign up? 

As far as I’m aware, it’s the Charge Anytime app

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/charge-anytime/id1660027420

or Android equiv

Badge

Thanks for all the help, I am very grateful. After some teething issues, it is working fine foe me. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have just switched to OVO to use OVO Anytime to charge my first EV coming in 2 days an Mg4 EV. I am having an OHME Home Pro charge point installed next week (currently no CP).
Am I correct in understanding I will be able to use the Anytime app as I have a compatible charger and that it doesn’t matter that my car isn’t on the list?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup! :)

The Ohme Pro is compatible. Please set it up via MyOVO rather than the Charge Anytime app. You’ll then manage all charging via the Charger itself and its companion app.

Just a heads up though. Please don’t use Ohme Labs features at the same time as Charge Anytime - they will clash if you try!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Blastoise186.

obviously very new to this so some of the terms /names of things I am yet to encounter. 
so

MyOVO is the account I have set up to manage my OVO energy account online? 

Then Just use the MyOVO account to activate the add on of “Anytime “ but don’t use the app and then use the charger and it’s  OHME application for scheduling charging etc.

Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup. That’s right. :)

Badge

Hi,

Want to sign-up for Charge Anytime but do not have a compatible charger. Aware I can get the schedule via the Kaluza app, but thinking about security. Would the Charge Anytime/Kaluza app allow me to lock the charger I have? Or would this be done seperately through any charger app?

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @fgl1975 , I’m not sure about the charger lock but you can use Charge Anytime with either a compatible charger or EV. There’s a check routine via their website. 
https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If supported, you’d use the charger app or a physical key to lock the charger. That’s out of scope of the Charge Anytime app.

Badge

Hello.

I have the OVO charge anytime app. I'm still in the process of learning how the app works.

I'm not sure but when it says "charge next after 22.30 (as an example) and is set to be ready by 04.30 tomorrow " it can stop in between and restart again?

Is that a possibility?

My charger app charged for 30min. Then it paused and now restarted again.

I was wondering if one app affects the other app.

Right now (22.40 on 30/06/23)is at 44% and set ro be ready at 4.30 set for 80%.

Badge

Good question. Finally got our Indra charger online yesterday. The app gets you to set a schedule. We thought we could set 8pm till midnight as the charge window. However the app asks you to set a ready by time. I therefore set midnight. I noticed that as soon as I plugged the car in it started charging and that was at 6:30pm. There’s no schedule set in the car so we too are at a loss. I’ll watch this thread with interest to see if someone can explain indeed how it all works.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The ‘ready by’ time is used by the app to calculate slots of the ‘greenest’ energy times and charge up to that point until the percentage needed is reached. So it will start and stop at various points if the energy mix changes. It’s all very clever and best left to reach your requirements by itself

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

The greenest time isn’t always overnight, this is the forecast for Saturday 1st July for south east England, it’s always ‘greener’ at the weekend, but you can see the peak CO2 is all evening ! This graph is from my PodPoint app.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

I only have set the time I wish the car to be fully charged by. I.e. 7.0am on weekdays and 8.0am at the weekend. I never touch the times unless I wish to have an abnormally early start, I.e. an early start to catch a ferry.

I plug my Indra charger in when I have finished with the car for the day, ( no start time set)  as I understand the charger does not been that. The car is always ready when I need it. It is a very clever and simple set up.

The app does show it charging on and off at different times of day and night, all very clever. When I first had it I forgot to turn off the time is the car but soon found what I was wrong and in set the car.

it does what is says on the box, charge any time. Very pleased. As an aside with the fantastic weather we have recently had rather than export my excess electricity to the grid after the storage batteries where full, I plugged in the 

granny charger and charged the car on Solar .

Badge

the app worked fine with my andersen charger and porsche app for a while.It then kept not charging and  had to delete the app to charge my car.Tech support are looking into it.