News

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Show first post

188 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

octopus is only at night but I believe they give you something during the day too. 

Possible but not guaranteed 

Badge

Why are so little VW's not compatible with charge anytime? Very strange.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I thought there were several there except for the 7 but it’s generally down to access to the systems that their charging software needs. That’s why you can use any EV with a compatible charger because they link to the charger for control

Badge

I thought there were several there except for the 7 but it’s generally down to access to the systems that their charging software needs. That’s why you can use any EV with a compatible charger because they link to the charger for control

Only the ID range (4 cars) are compatible. There are so many other VW EVs and PHEVs which are not compatible.

Badge

maybe they want to see only their compatible chargers 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

There are more vw cars on the Intelligent Octopus tariff so that is always an option for now.

It also means there is at least a possibility that ovo may want to and be able to increase the list in the future. Of course there are no guarantees this will happen. I don't think I would hang around in your shoes.

Hi all, i’m expecting my new VOLVO EX30 to arrive in 6 weeks and wondered what the likelihood of OVO supporting this with charge anytime will be? It’s not currently listed on supported vehicles yet Octopus already have it listed.

I’m currently on a standard OVO tariff and were please to find that the OVO EV scheme is competitive.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @ThomasJPitt !

I can’t give a timeline I’m afraid, but there are two possible ways to do it. What charger do you have or are you planning on getting?

Hi @Blastoise186, I don’t currently have a charger. Very happy to consider a charger that will help.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Sure thing! In that case, there’s two possible charger brands you can pick from - Indra or Ohme. Either one should work fine so feel free to go for any of these.

If you go this route, you can plug in ANY EV (even guests!) and get the Charge Anytime rates, even if it’s not your usual vehicle. As long as you schedule the charging via the charger app and have it all set up properly, the fact your EV isn’t compatible won’t be a blocker.

Amazing, thanks so much!

Badge

Hi @Tim_OVO 

I currently have a Hypervolt 2.0 charger (less than 2 years old) and a 22 plate Peugeot 3008 plug-in hybrid. 
I think neither are compatible with charge anytime and are not on the roadmap for support

I understand that I would have to upgrade my charger to Hypervolt 3.0 (they offer a discount on an upgrade so this is the most cost effective solution), but wondered when you will start to support Hypervolt - “Spring 2024” is a touch vague!

As you are offering Hypervolt chargers for instillation, how imminent is this?

thanks

Userlevel 6

Hey @lankygoblin 

I reached out to the team about this and they’ve got back to me with an update.

The team are working in this but at the moment, it is still not compatible. 

When we have more on this down the line, we’ll make sure to update any related threads.

Badge

Had my car delivered on Wednesday set up myrenault, in the car too, and ovo charge anytime. 
Set time to be ready by, set % charge, plugged in and left the car. I get an orange flashing light on my car charge port which goes off if charge doesn’t start straight away. 
Charge Anytime app says that next charge will be after 22:00, nothing starts and then it says planning next charge and again nothing happens. 2 nights no charge. 
if I start it manually at night it then syncs with charge anytime and charges at the lower rate but I thought the idea was to set it in the app, plug in and leave it to be charged in the morning. Not sure if I’m doing something wrong or settings in the car are wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

There is currently a fault with the Renault integration. It’s being looked into iirc.

Badge

Ahh handy to know! Thank you!

Badge

Hi all,

We have had Charge anytime for a couple of months now, and have received the monthly rebates for the charge anytime tariff. However i am finding it hard to work out how much we spent each month on charging the car. Am i missing something or is there no easy way?

Many thanks in advance

James

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @jameshammond472 ,

That should either be in MyOVO, the Charge Anytime app or potentially the charger app depending on your setup.

Userlevel 6

Hey @jameshammond472 

Welcome to the Forum.

Like Blastoise186 mentions, this can depend on your set up. Do you connect to Charge Anytime via a compatible EV or is it the charger that’s compatible? This will determine how you’d view that information. Let us know and we can try to help further.

We’ve got lots of topics on Charge Anytime that may be helpful too, I’ve linked to a few of these below;

This Charge Anytime FAQ may also be helpful for you, and you can contact the team via email if needed at chargeanytime@ovo.com.

Userlevel 1
Badge

@jameshammond472  if your car options let you add unit price of electricity that's the easiest way. 

If not. You need to do the math. 

Unit price - £0.07 = saving KW price

Total save this month / saving KW price = KW charged. 

KW charged x 0.07 = total cost to charge in the month. 

E.g. unit rate is £0.275 - £0.07 = £0.205

Total saved this month £58.20 / £0.205 = 283.9 KW 

283.9KW x £0.07 = £19.87 to charge your car this month. 

Why is Ovo not interested in improving their Ev charging scheme. I have been asking them for a year. Both my car and home charge point are not on their very limited options. I have a Kia Ev6 car, the most popular in UK. And a Rolec Smart charger.  Also I have solar panels. They say I cannot have a reduced tariff rate like all their competitors.  Why. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It’s not just OVO that has to approve those EV’s and Chargers. The respective manufacturers also have to play ball too. If any manufacturer refuses to collaborate, it’s game over instantly.

Additionally, only the Indra chargers currently support the Solar Matching required to make OVO Charge Anytime compatible with Solar Panels. If you have one, it can be configured the right way fairly easily, especially if the Solar compatibility features have already been set up during the charger install.

Alas, Rolec hasn’t - at this time - got any agreements with OVO that I know about and it’s ultimately down to them to be open to working with OVO. Only then can Charge Anytime support be expanded to Rolec.

As for Kia? Errmm… Let’s just say that the suppliers that did get to collaborate with Kia are having nightmares with the API being unreliable, or at least that’s what I’ve heard.

Hi,

I have an Aclara SGC1311 smart meter. We moved in and went with our original electricity provider from the old house. Our smart meter won’t talk to the provider and has never sent them a reading in the year we have lived here. We are paying estimate bills most of the time.

I am looking to get an electric car with an Economy7 or EV tariff. My father is ill and can’t regulate his temperature so uses air conditioning even in the winter overnight so our usage is different compared to most and we would likely suit an economy7 tariff. 

That being said, after some digging it seems our meter may be too old. I’ve heard it can be converted to S1+ with the DCC, however is this good enough to get cheaper overnight electricity? 

Any idea roughly how much it would cost to upgrade our meter to a SMETS2 with overnight tariff? If we switched to OVO so they need a SMETS2 meter for EV charging tariff?

Thanks 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @fluffy1234 , there are a few things to consider:

1. If your current meter can’t be upgraded any meter swap would be free
  2. Depending on your current tariff, you might not be able to get economy 7
  3. There are several options if you nail down your ideal needs

There is a check that you can use for your meter https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

but any updates from S1 models should have already happened 

Hi,

The link says we have SMETS1 and can’t get smart meter readings. The energy provider we rang them this morning and they have basically said tough luck, it’s quite a common issue and we will have to give manual meter readings for the foreseeable future. When we switch to this provider they told us the meter was compatible, it looks like maybe somebody lied.

any ideas what to do?

thanks