News

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Show first post

360 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

It seems perverse to me to be offering discounted electricity to EV owners presumably subsidised by regular cusomers - after all if you can afford to pay upwards of £30k for an EV then it’s rather immoral to be subsidised by other customers many of which may be on fixed incomes such as pensioners. 

As a pensioner on a fixed income, I would agree - were it not for the fact that I also happen to own an EV and do like that 10p charge rate 😂.

But @ktmbiker58’s point still stands. And it also applies to so many other 'green' initiatives that are targeted at relatively well-off voters. Not many pensioners on fixed incomes can afford to install a heat pump or solar panels, especially if they live in rented and/or old property. 

Let's not kid ourselves. Short-term initiatives to reward a few middle-class early adopters are usually political gambits to give an impression of action. They have no positive impact on fuel poverty, and contribute little to meeting net zero targets.

And I suspect this 10p-charge initiative is aimed more at balancing our overloaded and outdated National Grid, to reduce reliance on high-cost, high-carbon fuel (coal/imported gas) for power generation at peak times.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I agree with what you’ve said, except that some initiatives and incentives will contribute to net zero. We have to start somewhere and if nothing else the drive towards heat pumps has highlighted the fact that we need an enormous increase in properly trained heating engineers. That’s not going to happen without government intervention and a proper approved apprenticeship scheme.

And the increase in EVs has shown the lack of a useful public charging network.

I urge anyone thinking of signing up for this to be very aware of what the implications are, you really need to exercise due diligence as things aren’t always how they are presented:

Firstly the prime function of the smart charger is load shedding - it’s sold to you as charging when there is most renewable on the grid but the reality is it’s a way of balancing demand to supply - you are handing complete control of your charging to a third party. (Also most folk would want to charge overnight when renewables are actually at their lowest since all the solar farms are shut down) and there are plenty of instances on social media of EV owners waking up to find their EV hasn’t charged.

Secondly the reason they want half hourly readings and to profile your energy usage excluding the smart charger is to enable the system to detect if you try to charge your EV from a domestic socket instead of the smart charger - they don’t want you circumventing the load shedding. You may well find that any demand outside your normalised profile could be surcharged - certainly used to be standard practice in the supply industry for industrial customers.

My understanding is that control and operation of the smart chargers is not done by OVO but a third party - so you need to know who is responsible and who to complain to if your EV hasn’t charged or you have other issues.

Userlevel 7

@ktmbiker58 our Anytime add on is compatible with several electric vehicles (EVs) via ‘direct to vehicle’, meaning any charger will work. Although due to the low amps in a socket plug and ‘granny charger’, Anytime works better with actual EV chargers. I can’t comment on the other elements of your post although it may be slightly speculative. We have house rules here about ensuring posts claiming facts are accurate. 

There are a few “quirks” which I think it would be useful to address if possible by the team

• The app will only charge to the limit that is set in the Tesla app, so it becomes a 2 stage process to set the limits, and we’ve already been caught out by this more than once!
  • If you start a charge from within the Tesla app (for example during the day) then the OVO app will stop the charge if it does not think it initiated it. This is quite infuriating as it means the OVO app has to become the sole place to start charges, but then there is no way to stop a charge apart from unplugging the car.
  • The above two are annoying because if more than one person needs to control the car via the Tesla app, only the person with the OVO app is able to do it reliably.
  • Some access to logging or a list of reasons why the app did what it did would be useful when working all the above out using trial and error.
  • Could something be added to just stop the OVO app from trying to control the car charges from time to time whenever we don’t want it to be doing so? In the same vein is there a way to disconnect the car from the OVO app? At the moment the only way seems to be to cancel the entire account.

Hi @p3k4y please be aware that to use Anytime add on with Direct to Vehicle (D2V), you should only use the custom-built Kaluza/OVO app to control your EV charging. If you use the Tesla app as well it will cause the sort of issues you’re describing

@Matt_M it sounds like this issue: 

This should be fixed or getting fixed on your account very soon. the OVO smart home team are on hand to check in your case if those credits don’t appear by the end of this week: smarthome@ovoenergy.com

Badge

Hi @Tim_OVO  - thanks for replying, but I think your reply of “please use the app or you will experience the issues you have experienced” has slightly missed the point of my post, or perhaps I didn’t put it across properly.

I'm aware of the limitations I have discovered, which I have tried to describe in a series of bullet points and I am discovering limitations in day to day use,  I was just trying to provide some reasonable feedback that could be useful for the team(s) working on the product, either for future improvements or at the very least for some improvement in documentation to help other users (and myself!) in the future.

Userlevel 7

Thanks for this feedback, @p3k4y - we did pass this on directly to the team when you posted it.

I’m aware of plans to improve the level of guidance and instructions for customers choosing the Anytime. Making it more clear that the Kaluza/OVO app replaces the EV app for charging settings is part of this for sure!

Please keep us updated on how you find Charge Anytime. If there’s any specific app features you think are missing, consider raising this feature suggestion as a ‘Idea’

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just found this discussion thread - all interesting reading! I just posted a question on the OVO ‘My Smart Home forum, but I suspect it would be better placed here, so if you don’t mind I’ll repeat it here:

I’ve just moved to OVO, and added Charge Anytime so I can charge my new EV at a sensible price 😁

I’ve had an Indra Smart Pro charger installed, specifically because it’s on the ‘approved’ list. 

When I set up Charge Anytime I initially picked my EV - a Cupra - because the Indra hadn’t been installed at that point. But once installed, I went back through the process of setting up Charge Anytime and picked the Indra instead.

My first Smart Charge - last night - went well. I set a time for the car to be charged in the Indra App (not in the Charge Anytime App), and it duly did the business 😁.

The Indra seems to ‘know’ about Charge Anytime, and also about the Cupra, so everything seems to be joined up. However, Charge Anytime seems to ‘know’ about the Cupra too, but does not mention the Indra.

So finally to my question. What happens when I have a visitor?  Can just I plug in their EV instead, and assume the Indra Charger will smart charge it at Charge Anytime rates? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can indeed! :)

Any EV connected to a Charger that’s running the show will get Charge Anytime rates, even if it’s not your EV.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for that. I’m looking forward to saying “please, feel free to recharge” without having to force a smile!

Badge

Hello!

we are currently with OVO and are getting quotes on charging points, and likely getting the MG4. Is this something we can do at our home? With the Indra charger?  Pretty sure we are already set up on a smart meter

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello!

we are currently with OVO and are getting quotes on charging points, and likely getting the MG4. Is this something we can do at our home? With the Indra charger?  Pretty sure we are already set up on a smart meter

Hi @timothygillan

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you.

A couple of models of the Indra Charger are currently compatible, you can see them here

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers#chargers

It is quite fast moving, so others may be added. 

Just a personal thought. The closest tariff is currently from Octopus. For flexibility it might be worth looking at the Ohme chargers as some of the models  are on the compatible list of both Intelligent Octopus and OVO Drive Anytime. No one knows which tariff will be more competitive in a few months. 

Have a look at the usage page, if you see 30min readings you should be fine

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=daily&unit=kwh

What do you see when you run this check. 

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

You can always post a picture of your meter not the In Home Display and i am sure someone will comment

Badge

Hello!

Hi @timothygillan

Welcome to the customer forum, i am just a customer like you.

A couple of models of the Indra Charger are currently compatible, you can see them here

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers#chargers

It is quite fast moving, so others may be added. 

Just a personal thought. The closest tariff is currently from Octopus. For flexibility it might be worth looking at the Ohme chargers as some of the models  are on the compatible list of both Intelligent Octopus and OVO Drive Anytime. No one knows which tariff will be more competitive in a few months. 

Have a look at the usage page, if you see 30min readings you should be fine

https://account.ovoenergy.com/usage?datePeriod=daily&unit=kwh

What do you see when you run this check. 

https://smartmetercheck.citizensadvice.org.uk/

You can always post a picture of your meter not the In Home Display and i am sure someone will comment

Hello! 
Thanks so much! We have looked at octopus- but our current day rate on OVO at 33p is cheaper than octopus from what we can see! So I feel like it’s best for us stick with OVO? and add the 10p for just the electric car charging? The electrician told me that the insta comes with a type 2 and all new EVs do as standard so hopefully that’s fine with the MG4?! 

Anyone here got an MG4?!

Completely nee to electric cars but after the initial outlay of the charging point- to run it seems like a no brainer? We’d be paying monthly for a car anyways- so why not make the fuel a fiver to top up at home?!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hello! 
Thanks so much! We have looked at octopus- but our current day rate on OVO at 33p is cheaper than octopus from what we can see! So I feel like it’s best for us stick with OVO? and add the 10p for just the electric car charging? The electrician told me that the insta comes with a type 2 and all new EVs do as standard so hopefully that’s fine with the MG4?! 

Anyone here got an MG4?!

Completely nee to electric cars but after the initial outlay of the charging point- to run it seems like a no brainer? We’d be paying monthly for a car anyways- so why not make the fuel a fiver to top up at home?!

Yep certainly ovo looks good on price today.

But rates do change as do new tariff. Teaser rates at launch are common so no one knows what will happen. Suppliers have been open about launching loss leader tariff in the past. 

I only mentioned the Ohme charges as then you will have more choice going forward. Obviously up to you based on your own requirements and investigations. 

Exciting times! 

Userlevel 7

Yep I agree with @kopweb - if you set a ready by time on your app, and use a granny charger, the low amps may be an issue. The Charge Anytime add on is intended to be used with higher amp chargers. 

@Almoz yes you only need a compatible EV OR a compatible charger, such as that Indra smart pro or Indra smart charger v3. Full compatibility list here

Badge

I’ve Nissan Ariya arriving next week and Indra charger being installed next week as well so was surprised to see that when I logged on to the website and followed the link to Charge Anytime it comes up with “Charge Anytime bolt on is currently unavailable”

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ahhh ok.

Bear with me, I’ll ask about that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I’ve Nissan Ariya arriving next week and Indra charger being installed next week as well so was surprised to see that when I logged on to the website and followed the link to Charge Anytime it comes up with “Charge Anytime bolt on is currently unavailable”

Have you checked through the conditions @marinerblueuk ? Smart meter etc?

Badge

Yes we’ve a Smart meter and the charger installer confirmed that everything should be compatible

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Could you post screen shot where you clicked on the link etc and the screen with the message on?

Carful not to show any personal info you may have typed. 

Badge

I moved over to OVO from eon this week and was able to move onto charge anytime the next day.  I think you have to be an OVO customer first then you can add it online, it would appear to be a bolt on to your normal account.

Badge

We are an existing Ovo customer. Logged in using our Ovo account log in in page 1 and page 2 shows the page and below is what comes up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve flagged it up to be checked. Please bear with me

Userlevel 7

Hi @marinerblueuk 

There could be a number of reasons why you’re unable to select Charge Anytime, including being on the old billing system, having an incompatible meter or even just a simple background error.

To help resolve this, I'd recommend that you email us at smarthome@ovo.com with your account number and we can take a look.

Badge

Just tried to email smarthome@ovo.com and the email bounced. It says the address doesn’t exist!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just tried to email smarthome@ovo.com and the email bounced. It says the address doesn’t exist!

It’s smarthome@ovoenergy.com