Skip to main content
News

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Updated on 15/01/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Here’s the latest on our new electric vehicle charging type-of-use plan

We’ve relaunched Anytime as Charge Anytime. It’s not only a new name, we’ve made some updates to the product and we want to tell you all about it…

See our Charge Anytime product page here

What are the headline facts about Charge Anytime?

• Smart charge your electric vehicle for 7p per kWh whenever you need to,
  • Now available to be added to any OVO plan, including electric-only households,
  • Intelligently optimises your charge for when the energy is at its greenest.*

Am I eligible?

You can see all eligibility details in our Charge Anytime page here.

• You must be an OVO Energy customer and have an eligible car or charger. We’re constantly looking to open up the eligibility of this product to more EV models and chargers, so if you don’t see your tech here, keep an eye on our page. 
  • Right now, solar panels aren’t compatible with Charge Anytime (unless you have an Indra Pro Smart Charger). But we’re working on making this happen soon.

Our customers and trialists have really played a huge role in shaping Charge Anytime, not least the members of this forum. Leave a comment below if you have any questions, feedback and to let us know if you’ll be adding Charge Anytime to your OVO plan.

*Our smart tech will aim to charge your car at a time when the grid has more renewable energy in it. Meaning it’s less likely your EV will be charged by energy from fossil fuels.

194 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Purely to give the Charge Anytime team a chance to respond. The Forum Moderators have the power to do something faster if they choose to though.

Ok thank you for your time 😊 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hi @Mjf001,

It looks like one of our volunteers @Blastoise186 has put you on the right path here. I just wanted to share a couple of links I think could be useful to you: 

Ohme OVO charge anytime guide

Let us know if you get things set up and working! 

As far as I can tell the anytime app won't work for me as my car (e208) isn't compatible, hence getting epod charger which is.

Userlevel 5
Badge

You’re right @Mjf001the Charge Anytime app only works with compatible cars from this list

You’d complete the setup through the Ohme online process as you have a compatible charger 🙂

Yes indeed I have done all that.

However the standard OVO app said couldn't connect to charger, and won't be getting the special tariff.

So I deleted the ohme settings and tried again. And now even ohme won't give me the special tariff.

Hence here we are.

Ohme say it's because I deleted and it's still tagged to the first attempt.

Full circle.

Badge

Is it possible to update on progress with missing EV cars for anytime compatibility? It's been over a year since the issue with connecting to Volvo 2022 XC onwards models was described as being worked on in the background? Cheers

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Mjf001,

I would suggest reaching out to the Charge Anytime team so they can help get this resolved for you. You can speak to them at 0330 175 9678 (option 1 new customers/option 2 existing customers) or chargeanytime@ovo.com

Keep us updated if this gets fixed 😊

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @BridgendEV,

We don’t have any updates yet as the team are still working with Volvo on making this available. They’ve confirmed that only models up to 2021 are currently supported but hopefully this can be expanded in the future. Once it’s been confirmed we will update all our communications to let you know. 

For now you can use any compatible smart charger from the list to take advantage of Charge Anytime! 

I hope this helps 😊

Userlevel 2
Badge

Can I ask a quick question. I have a Tesla charger at home and my EX30 which is the new EV ( coming soon) besides my current Tesla. I believe both my charger and EX30 are not compatible charger and car at the moment . I am still able to charge it at the normal rate right ( I am assuming I won’t be able to enjoy the 7 pence rate) 

Thanks 

Rama 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can, yes. With the obvious caveat that you wouldn’t get the 7p/kWh rate.

Userlevel 2
Badge

You can, yes. With the obvious caveat that you wouldn’t get the 7p/kWh rate.

Just tried. It’s charging. That’s sad . It’s costing 4x more . Hopefully they can add ex30 since other Volvo electric cars are compatible . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Volvo changed the software massively for 2022 and later models. It’s… Complicated...

Badge +1

Can anyone clear up a very confused new member?

1. I have a Citroen e-C4 (Series E 2024).
  2. I have PV battery system with a bi-directional FIT meter.
  3. Internet available.
  4. Proposed EV Charger to be either OHME ePod or Easee One
  5. OVO account holder

My query is would I qualify for Charge Anytime?

If not, what would my likely kwh rate (assuming that I can set up an economic time of charge for either charger).

If Charge Anytime is not available, what (and when) is it likely to be compatible?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @PiersM59 ,

The question is whether you have Solar, which I suspect you do. In this situation, you MUST go with an Indra charger if you want to get Charge Anytime - Ohme doesn’t support the required Solar Matching features.

If you do not get the Charge Anytime Add-On, your EV Charging will be at the normal rates for whatever OVO Plan you’re on.

Userlevel 4

Hi @PiersM59,

I can see that our forum volunteer has given some good advice here already. You’d be able to check your eligibility for Charge Anytime here.  

These links may also be helpful: 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/smart-charger

My issue is now sorted and can charge as expected.

Thanks all for your assistance 

Martin 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Mjf001,

I’m happy to hear that you can charge as expected, that’s great news! 🎉

Badge

Hi, as my title says. 
I had to call Ford to reset my account, I have them tried to add my car back on the OVO app but it’s getting stuck in a loop. It says click ok to approve T and C. Once I have done that it does to another page for T and C but doesn’t go to the Ford log in page as it should. 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Can,

I’m sorry to hear you are having issues adding your car back. Have you tried deleting the app and re-installing it? It could be that your device is still holding on to some remnants of the previous time the car was set up, which is stopping the process from completing. 

If you try this and you’re still having issues, then contact our Charge Anytime team at 0330 175 9678 (option 2 for existing customers) or chargeanytime@ovo.com.

Keep us updated if you were successful. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

A few weeks later than expected, but things have fallen into place nicely.

National grid is out next Wednesday to drop in a 80A cut-out,

Ohme are fitting the EVSE on Thursday,

Collect the Kona BEV on Friday 

Then the weekend to get to grips with it all 🤭

Tom…

Userlevel 7
Badge

National grid is out next Wednesday to drop in a 80A cut-out,

Good news :)

I rather thought that 100A was the de facto standard these days, but I now understand that this is no longer the case. There was apparently a change last year which makes 80A (i.e. a max. load of 18.4 kVA) the new standard, so you’re apparently good to go.

Worth noting: NGED Standardisation of Fusing to 80A

Userlevel 1
Badge

I’ve recently changed cars to one of a different brand, model and battery capacity to that when I signed up to Charge Anytime.
I suspect the “Your car” and “Your battery” fields on this page are merely documentary, but I can find no facility to correct this information.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Just a quick question.

Finally collected the new EV, but have a question about the charge stats collected by Ovo.

The car came fully charged, so just got around to plugging it in for 10 mins, just to make sure everything works as intended.

My Ohme app reports 0.4kw charge, so looks like I can charge ok, with the charge anytime tariff,

but I’m getting a charge data error on the your EV tab in my ovo account. 

I will give it a proper charge tonight.

How often / when does Ovo pull the charge data from Ohme???

Tia

Tom…

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

After doing a charge overnight, the EV tab on my ovo account is still showing a “charger data error”

Something is not working as it should.

Would that point to an Ovo or Ohme as the culprit?

Tia 

Tom…