News

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Show first post

188 replies

Hi I am just about to get an EV charger through charged ev. I like the hypervolt home3.0 which charged ev have as compatible to Octopus and ovo smart tariffs. However I can't see it's compatible on ovo website. Anyone able to confirm this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Pxh1773 , with OVO you can use a compatible EV or a compatible charger so with a compatible charger, you can connect any EV. If you use a non-compatible charger then you need a compatible EV.
All the options are on the web

https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

@Pxh1773. Just out of intrest what made you go for the hypervolt home 3.0? it looks a larger unit & is more expensive than a lot of its rivals 

Hi I liked the colour options and the options on lengths for tethered leads . 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’ve been using Charge Anytime with an Indra Smart Pro charger since April.

Until recently, car charging was always at 7.4kW/h or thereabouts. But recently - in fact, since Sept 24th - the rate of charge has become variable, with some periods at only 1.4kW/h and others at 7.4kW/h. 

I suspect the Indra charger has gone faulty, but before I point the finger at it, I need to know if something has changed in the way Charge Anytime works. Can/does it vary the charge rate , and is this a recent change?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @MikeyB , Charge Anytime is not able to vary the charge input - simply using charging slots to reach its aim. It relies on the battery management system and charger to perform that task. Li-ion batteries are quite sensitive to charge management and need careful monitoring 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I assume this is unrelated to charge anytime stopping and starting charging in a period?

It can do that multiple times according to the FAQs. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Jeffus, I think it is unrelated to any stopping and starting behaviour - unless it's charging in very short bursts , which are appearing as low charge rate when averaged over time. But I'd be surprised if it could or would do that?

And I'm getting the same behaviour with 2 different EVs, so I doubt it's car related.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Be interesting to know how short the bursts can be. I don't think I have ever seen anything. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Here's a screenshot of the charging progress so far this evening. As you can see, the first 3 half-hour periods were dead slow, then it's decided to speed up. During all this, nothing much else was using electricity in the house - just the dishwasher and the TV - so there shouldn't  be any load curtailment.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Be interesting to compare with others with the same charger I guess?

The 30 min slots when the charging is less are probably peak time for usage across the country but that may just be a co incidence.

You could try emailing the team the screenshot and see what they say about the length of charging slots etc.

smarthome@ovoenergy.com

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, I’d very much like to know if others are seeing this.

Meanwhile I have sent an email to smarthome@ovoenergy.com for their comments as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hmm, don’t think you can!

Like this (top search box)

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes, did that. But how do I ‘tag them in this thread’?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can use @ followed by their name, such as @Blastoise186 . The autosuggest will assist you if it thinks it knows who you’re trying to mention.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Gary_M can you give any insight in what you see with your charging?

See the screenshot in this thread

Userlevel 7

Hey @MikeyB,

Here are some forum topics from Indra Charger owners:

Userlevel 2
Badge

@simongrigg do you have any experience of your Indra charger charging slow, like the screenshot in this thread?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi Jeffus, Blastoise OK, I see. As you can tell, I’ve never been a social media user!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Jeffus, Blastoise OK, I see. As you can tell, I’ve never been a social media user!

It is not guaranteed they will see your post but worth a try.

If you get no response try posting in the thread you saw them in. 

Userlevel 1

Here's a screenshot of the charging progress so far this evening. As you can see, the first 3 half-hour periods were dead slow, then it's decided to speed up. During all this, nothing much else was using electricity in the house - just the dishwasher and the TV - so there shouldn't  be any load curtailment.

Yeah, it just depends on what you have running at that specific time of the day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries! It’s what we’re here for. :)

One of our tasks is to help new users out who are getting stuck with forum features. Helping you fix posts and things like broken formatting also comes under stuff we can help you get fixed - any of the Forum Moderators can do that for free for example (they don’t bite!).

And if you ever need a hand with using the forum itself, definitely please do feel free to ask. We’re always happy to answer those questions too.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi @EllieElectro  my point was that I wasn’t running anything that would have caused load curtailment to kick in. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi I liked the colour options and the options on lengths for tethered leads . 

Same here, the Indra LUX is available with 6m, and 10m cable, which made me decide for it, besides the colours options

Userlevel 6

Hey @MikeyB

Did you hear back from the team at smarthome@ovoenergy.com?