News

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Show first post

360 replies

Badge

re switching, I signed up on 3rd March, was switched by 7th March and using the app to save on charging the car that same day.  So only 5 days (inclusive) in total

That's good to know, thanks. I wasn’t particularly excited by the idea of a 2+ month wait, so good to know it can also go much quicker.

@Biblu we can confirm that the Indra Smart+ chargert is compatible with Charge Anytime, it's also referred to as the Indra Smart Charger V3 internally - apologies for the confusion caused!

Thanks, good to know. Maybe you can clear something else up for me. I tried to ask the support e-mail but think I just confused them...the marketing blurb mentions charging in greener hours, but there is no definition of what this actually means, or any guarantee of how many of these green hours exist in any 24 hour period. So how can customers be confident that they will have fully charged cars? Is it possible that I could plug my car in at 6:00 am in the morning, needing it charged by 23:00 in the night, and get to 23:00 with no additional charge because OVO decided there weren’t any green hours?

Userlevel 7

Hi @Tork 

I know we’re looking to unlock more compatibility with smart chargers and direct to vehicles (D2V) all the time. As this involves work on the other side, we can’t give you a specific time frames. Is your EV eligible for D2V

@Biblu - it’s the magic of Kaluza Flex. This technology keeps your ready by time front and centre, but then uses clever tricks and machine learning to predict and adjust exactly when the car charges based on carbon intensity. You just have to set the ready by time and the % charged, and we do the rest!

Userlevel 3
Badge

Thanks Tim - I seemed to have sorted it. I didn’t realise that if the car was compatible, then the charger was less relevant. I’ve signed up, got the app and will be plugging in this weekend! 

Userlevel 7

Excellent news, yep direct to vehicle means Charge Anytime works with any charger. 

You get a brand new Kaluza app to use as well - let us know how you get on!

Userlevel 3
Badge

First smart charge last night - and it worked a dream. £5 saving in the first charge. Very slick. Quite interesting watching it start and stop the charge late evening whilst also looking at the national grid renewable information. Great scheme :)

Badge

I cannot add charge anytime to my account. Every time I try to add the Charge Anytime add on to my account it says it is currently unavailable. I keep getting told that I can have in my account home page, but clicking through to add it always fails. I have been trying for the last 3 days.

Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It shows up just fine for me

There might be sign-up restrictions temporarily though

Badge

Slightly embarrassing for me…. but PiHole seems to have been blocking something!

I had a thought just after posting this that I had not tried disabling PiHole…. disabled it and I am able to start the process that you provided a screenshot for 🙄

Registration now complete and about to set up for first charge.

Hopefully this may be useful for others…. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

And that’s exactly why I use UniFi to block stuff via a DPI Firewall rather than using a PiHole with DNS blocking. :P

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I agree with other respondents that the current information is confusing - but “suck-and-see” definitely is the way to go.

From the info I assumed my VW Golf eHybrid PHEV would not be included in the scheme, especially as I always home-charge it with just its 13A plug-in granny charger.

But out of curiosity I installed the new app. To my surprise, it linked quickly and painlessly to VW’s WeConnect, identified my car and its location, and linked itself to my OVO account.

Proof of the pudding, etc., but so far I am very impressed!

Userlevel 7

Evening everybody. I’ve been successfully using Drive Anytime since May 2022. Today, I logged onto the app to check my EV data and it’s gone. Any reference to my EV or Drive Anytime has gone. My fixed tariff ended last week, but I wasn’t advised that anything would change in this regard., or that I would lose Drive Anytime. Do I just need to try to add it again?  Has anybody else experienced this? I’ve tried calling Ovo today, but was unable to get through.

Hi @LB1985, thanks for asking this question. My understanding is that existing Anytime customers (those that had the add on back when it was only with OVO Drive) should’ve been sent an email to advise about this next iteration of Charge Anytime, earlier in 2023. I’ll ask the team what the best approach is for you to take. In the meantime can you check your registered email inbox and junk/spam folder?

I agree with other respondents that the current information is confusing - but “suck-and-see” definitely is the way to go.

From the info I assumed my VW Golf eHybrid PHEV would not be included in the scheme, especially as I always home-charge it with just its 13A plug-in granny charger.

But out of curiosity I installed the new app. To my surprise, it linked quickly and painlessly to VW’s WeConnect, identified my car and its location, and linked itself to my OVO account.

@kopweb thanks for this, I’ve shared this with the team in case they had any advice to share. :) 

Badge

Hi @LB1985, thanks for asking this question. My understanding is that existing Anytime customers (those that had the add on back when it was only with OVO Drive) should’ve been sent an email to advise about this next iteration of Charge Anytime, earlier in 2023. I’ll ask the team what the best approach is for you to take. In the meantime can you check your registered email inbox and junk/spam folder?

So it looks as though the add-on dropped off in some way when my fixed tariff ended. I have emailed the Smart Home team to ask for the charging credits for the intervening period to be manually added to my account.

Userlevel 7

So it looks as though the add-on dropped off in some way when my fixed tariff ended. I have emailed the Smart Home team to ask for the charging credits for the intervening period to be manually added to my account.

Thanks @LB1985 that was the advice I had for you. Let us know the outcome of this please.

Userlevel 7

@kopweb we’ve got some advice from the team on this:

We advise that you don’t use Charge Anytime with your VW, as compatibility issues mean that it likely won't be fully charged for when they need it, and we can't provide assistance with any issues if you’re using a vehicle that isn't supported.

Using a 3 pin cable also increases the risk that your vehicle won't be charged by their ready-by time, as Charge Anytime assumes it's able to draw a 7kW charge when necessary (will get max around 3kW with a 3 pin).

It might be working OK for the time being, but it's not advisable if you need reliable charging. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thanks Tim - and thanks to the team for the explanation.

By trial and error, I had already spotted the problem of not charging fully on time, and concluded it was down to the low output of the granny-charger. The app seems to kick in and out (presumably depending on grid demand/unit cost) and runs out of time slots on the slow charge.

I can see this would deter anyone with a full-fat EV and a fixed departure time every day. For me it’s not such a big issue. My usage is intermittent and my mileage varies greatly from day to day. I can plan accordingly, use Urgent Charge where necessary - and fall back on the hybrid ICE for longer rural journeys.

As the Golf battery is small (usually charges fully in 5 hours, even off the 13A plug), I still seem to be able to make some welcome savings by using the app - unless there are over-riding safety or technical issues that demand I avoid doing so.

Incidentally, my need for flexibility was exactly why I was reluctant to commit to full-EV. I remain sceptical about manufacturers’ range estimates, living as I do in an area characterised by short winter daylight, cold temperatures, and long-distance rural journeys with “fast”-charge facilities few and far between.

To put that in context, I test-drove one EV from the nearest main dealer to home by the shortest route, and had insufficient charge left simply to get it back to him without a significant detour and tedious wait!

Userlevel 2
Badge

Incidentally, my need for flexibility was exactly why I was reluctant to commit to full-EV. I remain sceptical about manufacturers’ range estimates, living as I do in an area characterised by short winter daylight, cold temperatures, and long-distance rural journeys with “fast”-charge facilities few and far between.

Most BEVs with long range are still quite expensive but Kia / Hyundai both have ‘comparatively’ cheaper options (if you can call £32k cheap) - up to 300 miles on a Kona Electric.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

up to 300 miles on a Kona Electric

Hmmm. Those two little words ‘up to’ are doing a lot of heavy lifting there. I believe WLTP figures are measured at 23°C (i.e. no cabin heating, no air-con and probably no wipers) and an average 29mph. Cold-weather tests are usually between 10% and 25% below WLTP.

I certainly wouldn’t trust a Kona to complete a day-trip without recharge to our nearest John Lewis on a 1°C, wet/snowy December day (260 miles, most on 70mph limit roads, sunset 3.30pm). I can do that comfortably in the Golf, without having to hunt for a working charge-point or filling station (and still at zero emissions in town).

By the way, the Kona’s 300-mile figure is for the 64kWh version, which I think comes in at nearer £40k. The cheaper 39kWh version achieves only about 60% of that.

Don’t get me wrong. I really like electric drive, and do as much of my mileage as possible on it. But current battery technology and lack of rapid-charging infrastructure are real barriers to its regular use for longer journeys in remote northern areas.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I think if its a 260 mile round trip to your nearest John Lewis you may not be the target market.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

My point entirely, @Dark. It’s that infamous ‘metropolitan bubble’ again. Unless there is a massive change in battery technology or universal ultra-fast charging, fully-electric is not a viable option in some areas. And it may never be. In the long term, something like affordable hydrogen fuel-cell may offer a better future.

But for now, plug-in hybrid is a good practical compromise for a one-car family in a remote area. And there needs to be some creative planning by government (if that’s not a contradiction in terms) for what happens beyond 2035.

Incidentally, there are quite a few EVs in my area. Most are leased/company cars and used primarily for commute or local business visits. Most also share their driveway with a big diesel SUV for longer journeys.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Just curious, now I'm seeing fixed tariffs come up again. If I renew do I still keep anytime or do we need to be on ovo drive again?

I was under the impression anytime is available to anyone now but would rarther check before switching to a fixed term

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @stead there are various conditions as you probably know for Anytime but it is an add on. As for tariffs, this is in the T&C list 

• You must be an existing OVO Energy customer – you can be on any OVO tariff (and either supplied with both fuels or electricity only); 

https://www.ovoenergy.com/terms/charge-anytime-terms

Badge

Hi @Tim_OVO , I started to use this last week with our Tesla model Y.

There are a few “quirks” which I think it would be useful to address if possible by the team

• The app will only charge to the limit that is set in the Tesla app, so it becomes a 2 stage process to set the limits, and we’ve already been caught out by this more than once!
  • If you start a charge from within the Tesla app (for example during the day) then the OVO app will stop the charge if it does not think it initiated it. This is quite infuriating as it means the OVO app has to become the sole place to start charges, but then there is no way to stop a charge apart from unplugging the car.
  • The above two are annoying because if more than one person needs to control the car via the Tesla app, only the person with the OVO app is able to do it reliably.
  • Some access to logging or a list of reasons why the app did what it did would be useful when working all the above out using trial and error.
  • Could something be added to just stop the OVO app from trying to control the car charges from time to time whenever we don’t want it to be doing so? In the same vein is there a way to disconnect the car from the OVO app? At the moment the only way seems to be to cancel the entire account.

Sorry for the long list, these are just my findings based on the first weeks use!

Pete

It seems perverse to me to be offering discounted electricity to EV owners presumably subsidised by regular cusomers - after all if you can afford to pay upwards of £30k for an EV then it’s rather immoral to be subsidised by other customers many of which may be on fixed incomes such as pensioners. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

I think it’s really encouraging ev charging to be done when there is less CO2 in the grid.

Badge

@Tim_OVO i just got my first bill since having Ovo Anytime active and it showed £0 in credit  on my March bill despite showing credit earned in the app during March. Will this credit be backdated to my April bill?