Skip to main content
News

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Updated on 15/01/24 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Here’s the latest on our new electric vehicle charging type-of-use plan

We’ve relaunched Anytime as Charge Anytime. It’s not only a new name, we’ve made some updates to the product and we want to tell you all about it…

See our Charge Anytime product page here

What are the headline facts about Charge Anytime?

• Smart charge your electric vehicle for 7p per kWh whenever you need to,
  • Now available to be added to any OVO plan, including electric-only households,
  • Intelligently optimises your charge for when the energy is at its greenest.*

Am I eligible?

You can see all eligibility details in our Charge Anytime page here.

• You must be an OVO Energy customer and have an eligible car or charger. We’re constantly looking to open up the eligibility of this product to more EV models and chargers, so if you don’t see your tech here, keep an eye on our page. 
  • Right now, solar panels aren’t compatible with Charge Anytime (unless you have an Indra Pro Smart Charger). But we’re working on making this happen soon.

Our customers and trialists have really played a huge role in shaping Charge Anytime, not least the members of this forum. Leave a comment below if you have any questions, feedback and to let us know if you’ll be adding Charge Anytime to your OVO plan.

*Our smart tech will aim to charge your car at a time when the grid has more renewable energy in it. Meaning it’s less likely your EV will be charged by energy from fossil fuels.

194 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @TomThumb,

Exciting to hear that you collected your new EV congratulations! 

I’d suggest reaching out to our Charge Anytime directly so they can check everything on our end. You can reach them at 0330 175 9678 (option 2 for existing customers) or chargeanytime@ovo.com

Let us know if they manage to get the wheels turning (pardon the pun) 🙂

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@ChristopherS_OVO Cheers for the heads up. 

As I had a need to contact Ohme this lunchtime for an unrelated issue, I did mention the Ovo & charge anytime integration to them.

The response I got from Ohme was that a 7-10 day period was needed after the wall charger had been installed & the charge anytime link had been commissioned.

Not once had I previously seen that mentioned or noted anywhere.

So I’ll reach out to the CA team the end of the week if nothing has updated by then.

On the plus side, Ohme did confirm that the charge anytime add on looks A ok from there end 👍
so hopefully the data link will catch up soon.

Tom…

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @TomThumb,

It's good to know that an "embedding" period is needed, and everything looks good on their end. We can keep an eye on it and make sure that you start getting access to the data you need! 

If you haven't heard by then, contact the Charge Anytime team; they're always there to support you. 

Please keep us posted on your progress. 🙂

Joined OVO. Switch date was 20/05

I have received no comms at all throughout. Spoke to the support team who have now advised I am unable to have an online account due to being on a legacy billing platform. (Strange, I joined ovo this week). 

I am also now been told I can’t use the EV tariff either as I don’t have an online account?? 

So, I have now switched suppliers to make use of their EV tariff as advertised to now be told I can’t due to the legacy platform. 

I have since given up trying to get anywhere with ovo support. 

I have now switched suppliers, invested in a compatible EV charger as per ovo compatibility list to be told I can’t activate the ev tariff? 

lost the will to live with it now. 

has anyone else encountered similar? Does anyone have a road to resolve, to date ovo have been zero help. :-( 

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Ukcartel,

I’m sorry about the experience you’ve had since you switched. 

I’m going to have our Forum_Support team contact you so they can help you further with this.

Look out for a private message here soon: https://forum.ovoenergy.com/inbox/overview.

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @Nosmarb,

I’m sorry for the late reply. This post seems to have slipped past us! 

Congratulations on your new EV, and to get the information updated, you can delete your old vehicle and then add your new one. This will show all the information about your new car. 

If you get stuck or have further questions, our dedicated Charge Anytime team can help: 0330 175 9678 (Option 2 for existing customers) or chargeanytime@ovo.com.

Let us know if you manage to get this changed. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

“You can delete your old vehicle and then add your news one”. Oh no, I can’t.
Neither in the smart phone app nor on the website is there any option to either update the vehicle details or delete it.
I’ve uninstalled the app from my phone and reinstalled it and the old vehicle is still shown.
So, tell me, how and where do I delete my old vehicle?
I’d love to be proved wrong, but please try it for yourself.

Userlevel 4

Hi @Nosmarb,

You should be able to add vehicles in two ways:

You can add it by clicking your car (Top right on the Dashboard page) and add the vehicle there. 

You can also go to the 'Your Account' page in the app and add another vehicle there too. It also allows you to edit your current vehicle here.

This link may also be useful if you have any other questions about Charge Anytime:

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi Shads,
I’m sorry if I’m being really dense about this, but is this what you mean by “the Dashboard page”? Because in my Android 14 phone that black circular icon at the top right just 

takes me to a page where I can “manage” details of my home, plan, products or settings. None of which enable a vehicle to be added, deleted or amended. There is no “Your Account” page.
If I log in through a web browser on my PC, again there is no “Your Account” page. If I click through the “Profile” link, under “Your account details”, I can edit only my email address, password or telephone number. The “Your EV” option serves a page of which this is the top:

These are the details of my previous car and which I wish to update.

I’d welcome your further guidance.
Thanks.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

@Shads_OVO  & @ChristopherS_OVO 

Although I have no need to change the vehicle showing on Your EV tab on my ovo account, 

I’m with @Nosmarb on this, I can’t find an edit for the EV vehicle anywhere.

As I have a compatible Ohme charger, the dedicated charge anytime app is not required for my usage, so I haven’t had a poke around in there.

But like Nosmarb, I can’t locate any EV edit on my Ovo via the web portal or the Ovo app.

Tom…

Hello I have a new EV car it's Peugeot E2008 GT it got internet access as I use a Peugeot app when I'm charging and way from car ect but you have not got any of these cars on your system it's about time you did as it's costing me a fortune to charge my car right now without the anytime tariff 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Not sure why this is listed as an idea … there are quite a few cars already linked to the Anytime system. It’s not just about internet access but the manufacturer allowing reading of the vehicle state and charging system unfortunately. 
https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It is also worth noting that the EV/Charger manufacturer MUST ALSO:

• Be willing to play ball with OVO and Kaluza
  • Work with OVO and Kaluza to develop the integration for their stuff
  • Have a platform that allows third-party integrations
  • Sign the contracts/agreements that puts the legal frameworks in place to allow access

All of this takes time and if a particular manufacturer doesn’t do any of the above, it can’t happen.

Badge

Does OVO still restrict there EV tariffs to customers who are on a Dual Fuel tariff? The last time I checked they sis. This meant that in order to charge an electric vehicle as an OVO customer you had to use OVO as your gas supplier. Which is weird, absurd, inexplicable  and really doesn't work when you live, as I do,  in a rural  area without mains gas. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That restriction no longer applies. You can activate Charge Anytime as an Add-On regardless of your tariff now.

Userlevel 6

Hi @slow driver 

As one of our volunteers, Blastoise186 has already mentioned, you can now add Charge Anytime no matter what tariff you’re on. As long as you’ve got an electricity supply with us, the tariff doesn’t matter, so if you’ve not got gas, or your gas isn’t with us, you’ll still be able to add Charge Anytime onto your account.

If you need some help getting Charge Anytime set up, the following topics may be helpful to you:

Hope this helps, let us know if you’ve got any other questions.🙂

Badge

We are deciding whether to stay with Ovo Energy and want to charge our Hyundai Kona using a Zappi charger and your package, 'Charge Anytime'.

When will the results of the current trial of the Kona be known?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Sarah Wooller ,

That’s probably one for the Charge Anytime team in the morning - give them a call on 0330 175 9678 Option 2.

Badge

Thanks. Here's hoping for a straight forward answer.