Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Introducing Charge Anytime - next generation EV charging

Show first post

360 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

https://forum.ovoenergy.com/members/tim-ovo-172

a few questions about the ovo charge anytime

i currently have no access to my online ovo account apparently until end of 2023 as been moved over to the new system from APOLLO? does this have an affect on my ability to join the charge anytime 

friday after a long protracted discussion on ovo whatsapp chat i was told i could join the ovo charge anytime i have a indra charger/nissan leaf and now have the app but when i try to set up the app and add my ovo log in details to the app it will not let me add them as it says something is wrong with the details is this again due to the changing over to the new system

if both these cases are due to no ovo account access should i be penalised for no fault of my own and have to pay more for my energy until ovo sort out the account log on system/website/app

a small point here i was even told by a staff member during the whattsapp discussion that charge anytime had finished in march

is the charge anytime app basically the kalazu V2G charge app i used to be on during the V2G trial?? i had to come off it when my charger V2G charger failed and need replacing and i was going to have to pay for the replacement out of my own money somewhere in the region off 3 grand

Userlevel 7

Hi @garystokey and thanks for the tag. 

I am sorry to say that you’ll need access to your online account, which will happen when you’re added to OVO’s new billing platform later this year. Charge Anytime will not be available till then. You may consider other electric vehicle tariffs for cheaper charging such as Intelligent Octopus. 

For customers on Charge Anytime with a compatible smart charger, they will use the smart charger’s app to control charging. As you’re an ex-V2G trialist with an Indra charger, this will look very similar to the app you used there. It’s Indra+Kaluza web app here: https://app.indra.co.uk/login

For those on direct to vehicle charge anytime, they will use another native app by Kaluza/OVO. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

if its the case i need to have access to my ovo account is a bit poor i will be expected to pay almost 20 pence per kw to charge my car through no fault of my own. i will not have access until the end of the year what a tin pot company OVO are should not take that long to transfer to a billing system 

I may have to consider contacting the ombudsman over this issue, during a ovo whattsapp call yesterday i was advised to speak to the smart home support team about the issue if that does not sort it then ombudsman it is.

Userlevel 6

@Tim_OVO 

Hello Tim, Hope you and all at Bristol are well….

I’m struggling to understand why those on the Vehicle to Grid scheme, perhaps as few as 140 remaining, are not eligible for the cheap rate 10p per kW “Charge Anytime” rate. I was told it was because Nissan will not allow OVO Energy to access the data on their vehicles and having checked with Nissan themselves, confirmed that. I therefore accept that those with Nissan vehicles cannot use the rate..however those on V2G are different. Nissan have already agreed to allow access to their vehicle data subject to certain conditions. It was one of the conditions when we signed up to the scheme. Kaluza already know exactly how much we import and export to and from the vehicles every 30 minutes which is how they charge us for every kW imported and credit us for every kW exported. Not only that but Kaluza also control when and how much electricity is both imported and exported to the car or Grid. Surely they already have all the information they need? It’s just a matter of adjusting the computer at their end to charge 10p instead of 30p per kW, nothing to do with Nissan?

I understand that not every Nissan owner has signed up to the same agreement that those on the V2G scheme have done and so aren’t eligible to the cheap rate for the reasons given….but surely given the cooperation and pioneering work done by those on V2G they should be given a reward similar to those with any of the many other EVs being allowed to charge at the cheaper rate.

Leo

Userlevel 7

Hi @Leo Moran and thanks for reaching out about this. 

Can you tell me if you still have an operating Indra V2G charger?

Userlevel 6

Hello Tim…

Low and behold every time I’ve tried signing up on the App it either says I’m not eligible because it’s a Nissan or if it says I am eligible because I have the Indra V2G charger I go onto the next page and it dead ends and goes blank.. This morning after reading on another post that someone on the scheme had rung up and been accepted I rang up as well and I’ve also been accepted….and to think for the last couple of months I could have been on the new price, relevant because instead of being asked for £430 a month just to buy electricity which I then sell back I should be able to manage on half that...at least.

Thanks for the question Tim as I assume you are telling me what the girl this morning told me, that it’s the charger which makes it compatible, not the car…

Leo

Badge

Just tried to email smarthome@ovo.com and the email bounced. It says the address doesn’t exist!

It’s smarthome@ovoenergy.com

So I sent an email to smarthome@ovoenergy 7 days ago asking why Charge Anytime was showing as “currently unavailable” on my account -still waiting for a reply.

Is there anybody out there?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just tried to email smarthome@ovo.com and the email bounced. It says the address doesn’t exist!

It’s smarthome@ovoenergy.com

So I sent an email to smarthome@ovoenergy 7 days ago asking why Charge Anytime was showing as “currently unavailable” on my account -still waiting for a reply.

Is there anybody out there?

Sorry @marinerblueuk but did you send it including the .com at the end? If not it would not have got there. 
Having said that I’ve no idea how quickly they respond at present

Badge

Does anyone know how to set up the charge anytime app on a second iPhone _ two phones to control one account ?

When  I installed the app it wants the Apple ID used for the account (original iPhone account) but the 2nd phone is on a different Apple ID and I can't seem to change it or log into the Charge Anytime account 

Thank you 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You need to change the email address on the account to something other than an Apple one. If you need help with that, smarthome@ovoenergy.com can do it for you. Please email in using the currently linked email address if possible.

Badge

Charger installed, followed the instructions from the team at Smarthome and successfully set up the Indra web based app and the the Nissan app (car is Nissan Ariya). Time to try it out so I connected the car with about 25% charge yesterday about 3.30 and waited to see what would happen with the default setting of “ready by 7am”. There was a brief 30 minutes of charging in the afternoon but at 11pm the charger had been on “idle” - as I expected.

This morning at 8am I was surprised to see the charger was still charging and now at 9 it’s still charging! I thought that smart charging would mean it would stop at 7am and does this mean that I’m still getting the EV rate even though it’s outside the time I set? Boost is definitely not on so I hope I’m not being charged the full rate.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @marinerblueuk ,

Yup, you’ll still be getting the cheaper rates in this instance. Even if the EV can’t Smart Charge within the ideal schedules, you’ll only ever get charged full rates if you explicitly start an Urgent Charge or Boost Charge. If the platform triggers one automatically to attempt to catch up, it’ll still count as a Smart Charge and get the cheaper rate.

Hope this helps!

Can anyone advise me about my set-up?

I’m in the process of switching to OVO to take advantage of the Charge Anytime tariff, but am beginning to think I have misread the requirements. I gather I need either a compatible EV or a compatible charger (‘Here’s a list of the EVs and smart chargers that work with Charge Anytime. You only need a compatible EV or smart charger, not both’ according to: https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers). I have a Renault Zoe (2017) (not on that list) and an Indra Smart Charger V3 (which uses Kaluza and is on the list). Would this work? On the form you can use to see if you are compatible before joining asks ‘Can your EV access the internet at home with either WiFi or mobile data’. I’ve no idea, and the outcome is dependent on this question…

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you have that particular Charger, use that rather than the EV as it’s compatible. Set it up via MyOVO and you can then use the Indra app to manage it.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’m in the process of switching to OVO to take advantage of the Charge Anytime tariff, but am beginning to think I have misread the requirements. I gather I need either a compatible EV or a compatible charger (‘Here’s a list of the EVs and smart chargers that work with Charge Anytime. You only need a compatible EV or smart charger, not both’ according to: https://www.ovoenergy.com/electric-cars/charge-anytime-cars-and-chargers). I have a Renault Zoe (2017) (not on that list) and an Indra Smart Charger V3 (which uses Kaluza and is on the list). Would this work? On the form you can use to see if you are compatible before joining asks ‘Can your EV access the internet at home with either WiFi or mobile data’. I’ve no idea, and the outcome is dependent on this question…

Thanks!

Is your Indra “app” just a webpage or an actual downloaded app? If it’s the webpage, you’re on the older platform and this is fully compatible with Charge Anytime. You just have to register your Indra account on your Ovo account page, and then (rather annoyingly) it displays on the Indra page every time you log in that you’re on the Charge Anytime tariff. Once you’ve done this, it doesn’t matter whether the car you plug in is compatible or not. You just need to set the correct vehicle in the Indra page.

If you’re using the proper Indra app, your Indra account is on the new platform and I was told (back in March) that this is not yet compatible with Charge Anytime.

Thanks!

Is your Indra “app” just a webpage or an actual downloaded app? If it’s the webpage, you’re on the older platform and this is fully compatible with Charge Anytime. You just have to register your Indra account on your Ovo account page, and then (rather annoyingly) it displays on the Indra page every time you log in that you’re on the Charge Anytime tariff. Once you’ve done this, it doesn’t matter whether the car you plug in is compatible or not. You just need to set the correct vehicle in the Indra page.

If you’re using the proper Indra app, your Indra account is on the new platform and I was told (back in March) that this is not yet compatible with Charge Anytime.

Thank you, that's really helpful. I'm using the web app rather than the native Indra mobile app, so I guess that means I'm good!

Userlevel 7

Hey @simong,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

Are we getting readings through from your Smart Meter? Have you emailed smarthome@ovoenergy.com with some screenshots of the discrepancies?

Badge

Hi all.  Does adding the Charge Anytime to your OVO account change the unit rate of electricity you get charged on your current fixed electricity deal?  So does this remain in changed?  Thanks for the advice anyone!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi all.  Does adding the Charge Anytime to your OVO account change the unit rate of electricity you get charged on your current fixed electricity deal?  So does this remain in changed?  Thanks for the advice anyone!

Nope! Your unit rates stay exactly the same for everything else. The only unit rates that change are those related to EV Charging.

Badge

Nope! Your unit rates stay exactly the same for everything else. The only unit rates that change are those related to EV Charging.

Great @Blastoise186 - thank you for the quick reply back!!

Badge

Can anyone advise whether you can have two vehicles on a simple Charge Anytime account? Or will you only be able to change one vehicle at the 10p rate and the other would be charged at the standard rate? Thank you for any advice!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Me again! XD

You can indeed! :)

If you’re using the Charger with Charge Anytime, simply plug in whichever EV needs some juice and it’ll work fine for the most part. There will be minor quirks, but nothing game changing.

If you’re using D2V Mode, you need to connect each EV to Charge Anytime individually and you may need more than one Charge Anytime account, but they can all be linked to the same OVO Energy account.

In both cases, provided you set things up correctly both EVs will get the 10p/kWh rate. The advantage of the Charger route is that ANY EV you plug in gets the cheap rate too!

Badge

Hi @Blastoise186   thanks again for your reply and the advice! It’s the D2V route I’m using because I have a PodPoint at home which isn’t compatible with the Charge Anytime. I’ll try and connect the second vehicle!

You’re a hero!!  

hi, I have a home charger, however when I schedule the time on the Ovo Charge ANytime app for say 2am. my charger (by default) starts straight away and has always done this, which Im assuming will override the scheduled setting on the Ovo app.

Has anyone come across this, also I’ve still not seen any savings on the app either which makes me wonder if its actually working.

To be honest. all Im looking for is a provider who will give me a low overnight EV rate and save all this faffing about with the OVO app

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @Sirus67 , I know you were asking previously about credits - looking at the details of charge anytime, they should appear on the following months bill. 
If your EV has a min/max setting, it will charge straight away if the level is below the minimum set. Otherwise, if you’ve set a ‘ready by’ time, then the system should do the job and charge during ‘greener’ slots (one of the reasons for anytime). 
You could of course ask for E7 or similar but your standard daytime rate would be higher than normal. Your choice of course