Solved

My smart meter is making a funny noise - What should I do?

I had a gas & electric smart meter fitted about 3 weeks ago.
Since then my outside gas meter makes a really loud noise every time the gas switches on, surely this can't be correct.
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 31 May 2017, 11:39

Since then my outside gas meter makes a really loud noise every time the gas switches on, surely this can't be correct.

Hi @Vonnian,

Some noise from your gas meter is considered normal, however if this is particularly loud, I think it's best to look into it a little further.

Firstly, we need to see if it's coming from the meter itself or the regulator (this is a cone shaped object that sits on top of your gas meter). It'd be great if you could check this for me. We'll need to know if the meter is more of a mechanical noise or a humming noise.

It's possible that we'll need to exchange the gas smart meter, but if you send a private message with a video to the team via Facebook or Twitter with your account number, name and DoB they'll be able to look into this further.

Thanks,
Emily
View original

28 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @Vonnian welcome to the forum and thanks for posting.

From what you've said it sound familiar to issues I've seen raised elsewhere with their new smart meters making a noise - I am told it's the valve making the noise which isn't an issue and will overtime stop making this noise! If it still makes noise in a month it would be worth following up.

@Emily_OVO I'm not sure where I saw this info - am I correct in my thinking here?

Hi @Vonnian,

Some noise from your gas meter is considered normal, however if this is particularly loud, I think it's best to look into it a little further.

Firstly, we need to see if it's coming from the meter itself or the regulator (this is a cone shaped object that sits on top of your gas meter). It'd be great if you could check this for me. We'll need to know if the meter is more of a mechanical noise or a humming noise.

It's possible that we'll need to exchange the gas smart meter, but if you send a private message with a video to the team via Facebook or Twitter with your account number, name and DoB they'll be able to look into this further.

Thanks,
Emily
It is coming from the regulator every time the gas is fired up. It is very loud.
Can you tell me how to send a private message please.
It is coming from the regulator every time the gas is fired up. It is very loud.
Can you tell me how to send a private message please.

Hi @Vonnian,

I've just sent you a private message.

Thanks,
Emily
After my Smart Meters were fitted, everything was (mostly) okay (although I am not convinced the readings are accurate because my bill keeps going up and up and up despite us using less and less and less.... but that is an issue for another time).

Recently, in the last couple of weeks, the electric meter has started making a strange 'Wheezing' noise. It'll make these 'wheezy beeps' in sets of 3 with a small gap and it happens constantly - it's going all the time. I don't think it's the gas meter valve as per other posts on this forum as it happens even when the central heating is off and we currently have no other gas appliances.

We are in the middle of building work so the visual display has had to be unplugged to allow our electrician to rewire the ring in the kitchen, but the engineer told me the smart meters work on their own and that the display didn't need to stay plugged in constantly.

I did wonder if it was an 'alert' because the display is unplugged but it's not a clear, decisive beep, it's a weird 'something is broken here' type of wheezy noise.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
After my Smart Meters were fitted, everything was (mostly) okay (although I am not convinced the readings are accurate because my bill keeps going up and up and up despite us using less and less and less.... but that is an issue for another time).

Recently, in the last couple of weeks, the electric meter has started making a strange 'Wheezing' noise. It'll make these 'wheezy beeps' in sets of 3 with a small gap and it happens constantly - it's going all the time. I don't think it's the gas meter valve as per other posts on this forum as it happens even when the central heating is off and we currently have no other gas appliances.

We are in the middle of building work so the visual display has had to be unplugged to allow our electrician to rewire the ring in the kitchen, but the engineer told me the smart meters work on their own and that the display didn't need to stay plugged in constantly.

I did wonder if it was an 'alert' because the display is unplugged but it's not a clear, decisive beep, it's a weird 'something is broken here' type of wheezy noise.

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Hi @Vequihellin

Have a look at the 'best answer' (at the top) so you know how to rule out the gas regulator being the source of this sound.

@Vonnian can you offer some advice here?

Tim
mines is make a strange whistle sound took me ages to find out what it was
I had my gas and electric smart meters exchanged a week ago as arranged with OVO. Sadly since then, whenever the boiler fires up to warm the hot water tank or the heating there is a constant whirring/vibration noise which is audible in the house.
I phoned OVO and the operator advised that the meter could be making a noise. However it does not seem to be originating from the meters. It is really really annoying as this has started since the meters were switched over.
Could there be an airlock in the gas pipes since the gas was switched off and back on again??
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi,

Welcome to the forum! That doesn't sound good.... at all.....
Do you have any other gas appliances as well as the boiler?

I know when I had my meter installed the guy ran my gas hob for quite a while on full pelt!
I didn't think much of it at the time but maybe it was to try and flush out any air.
He did that before he switched the boiler back on.

Also my meters don't seem to make any noises at all...

Matthew
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
@newovocustomer check out the 'Best Answer' (at the top) for more info and advice on this noisy smart meter!

Tim
My Smart metre always makes a squeaking noise when the heating is on but now I can hear what sounds like running water! It's quite loud too. I've been advised to not run the heating but the plumber won't look at it as it's Ovo property so I need to wait until Tuesday. Has anyone had a similar experience with this noise?
Mine is doing the exact same thing, its not overly loud but its annoying.
Have you had any resolution?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey @KatieZn and @Jess87,

There are a few things that could be causing this. I've moved your topic onto this thread as a few others have reported this before. If the noise is a 'Mechanical noise' this is made when gas is passing through the meter, so there's nothing to worry about (even though it might be irritating).

If the noise is more of a 'Humming noise' then this means its coming from the regulator not the meter. If it sounds more like this, I'd suggest contacting the team so that they can look into this for you. Either via phone or email (https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers) or via our Facebook or Twitter page.

Lucy
Hi,

My gas meter squeaks when the gas is on. I can't remember if this started when we went smart but it's really annoying. Does this sound normal? Is it the smart piece? Can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi,

My gas meter squeaks when the gas is on. I can't remember if this started when we went smart but it's really annoying. Does this sound normal? Is it the smart piece? Can it be fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

Hi @MDKNIGHT31,

I've moved your post over here where users are discussing the same issue.

Comment any further questions below!

Nancy
I can't tell whether it's the meter or the regulator as they are so close together. I do have a nice video of it though if I could upload it! Who do I contact to get someone to look at it?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
I can't tell whether it's the meter or the regulator as they are so close together. I do have a nice video of it though if I could upload it! Who do I contact to get someone to look at it?

Sorry @MDKNIGHT31 you can upload videos via this thread, but only if it's a URL such as a video on youtube or vimeo. If it isn't, send this over as a message via Facebook, Twitter or email: hello@ovoenergy.com.

Tim
It may be easier through facebook messenger but who to?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It may be easier through facebook messenger but who to?
It will need to be sent to OVO. Please find the links to our social platforms below:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ovoenergy/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/OVOEnergy

Lucy
My new gas meter, situated in my kitchen under the units, seems to be making a low beeping sound is this normal?
My new gas meter, situated in my kitchen under the units, seems to be making a low beeping sound is this normal?

Hey @GMM

I've moved your query over to this topic as other customers have shared the same experience.

Check out the best answer for the recommended next steps!

Thanks,
Emma
Hi,

we recently reported a noisy gas meter that was making a throb. OVO were fantastic and agreed that although not dangerous it would be very annoying and sent an engineer to fit a new one.

For a few days we had blissful silence.... but then yesterday the throbbing returned.

it is now even more regular (albeit not quite as noisy) and driving me insane!

we have had work done and it is now secured to a stud wall and I’m wondering if this is not helping?!

Please tell me this isn’t a normal sound on a meter and that something can be done.... I can’t tune out from the throb throb throbbing....... 😩

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
It's definitely not normal! Mine doesn't make that noise. I'm amazed that someone could tell you that it wasn't dangerous over the phone, how would they know? Was that person gas safe registered? Somehow I doubt it.

Presumably if you're reading this all is well at the moment but like you it would worry me too! Keep pushing OVO for a further investigation, you can't be too careful with gas.
My gas meter has started making a noise that's loud enough to keep us awake at night with the vibrations. I can't find how to report this and get the meter replaced.

Help.

Thanks
We have had the same in Cambridge..it's quite worrying. The meter was fitted on Tuesday and the noise started today. I have emailed customer services on hello@ovoenergy.com if it helps.

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings