Solved

How do I read my new SMETS2 meter manually?

I've got smart meters and OVO are saying that they haven't received any readings from the gas meter for over 100 days!! I've received bills and my smart meter display in the house is giving me daily updates on my usage. The electricity meter is working and is sending readings no problem. I have looked at trying to read it myself but its really awkward and there are way too many buttons. Help!!

icon

Best answer by PeterR1947 8 May 2018, 16:27

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 5
@AbstractLucas @Abreaders @PeterR1947 Any of you able to help out with this one?
I've included a screen shot of the app which says that you haven't recieved a reading for over 100 days. As you can see my smart meter readings are on there and my bills are being paid. I don't know what us going wrong.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 06/03/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO:

Sorry to hear we’re not getting your meter reading automatically. Check out the advice below on reading your smart meter manually:

For SMETS1 ‘Secure’ smart meters:

There’s a slight difference between the the S1 meters we installed. To take a dual (day/night) reading for Secure Liberty 110 S1 smart meters (which are designed to work best with storage heaters), press 9 on the meter’s keypad. If you’ve got a Secure Liberty 100 S1 smart meter, press 6 to confirm the Day and Night meter readings (pressing 9 will show the reading if you’re a single rate member with this meter).

For SMETS2 Aclara, Flonidan, Honeywell or Elster smart meters:

Aclara (Elec) / Flonidan (Gas) Elster (Elec) / Honeywell (Gas)
Reading the meter
  • Elec: Press A three times until TOU Rate 1 appears.
  • Gas: Press C to wake up, then C to access the menu. Use B to scroll and C to select the reading option.
  • Elec: Press the top button once or twice
  • Gas: Press the circle button once or twice

You can submit the reading on the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS)

As it looks like your smart meter has lost communication, you can help diagnose what might have caused this by carrying out a smart meter health check for your meter type below, then reaching out to the Support team with the results:

SMETS1 Secure Smart Meter Health Check guide

The SMETS2 Smart Meter Health Check

Hope we can get the issue resolved quickly so you can continue enjoying the benefits of your smart meters!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hi, I had a smart meter fitted last year and whilst my electricity readings have been submitted it seems that there are no gas readings. My contract is coming to an end and I need to see what package to go on, but I can't really do that without seeing the true cost up to this date.
What do I do?
Hi all,

I seem to have the opposite problem that many of you have. I had a smart meter installed a few months ago. It has never sent electricity readings however gas seems to work fine.

Every button 1-9 I press just says "NOT USED" and shows IMP KWH. I'm not convinced its been configured correctly.

Anything I can do or so I need to (keep waiting) for an engineer visit? I can't even see how to take a manual reading at this point and my bills are being estimated highly.

Thanks
Userlevel 5
I moved your query over here, @tlfcampbell, take a look at the best answer for more info! :)

The same would apply for your electricity meter, @xenicus, your meter reading will be displayed after "IMP kWh".
The reading isn't displayed. The smart meter isn't working and despite being promised a repair it is still not fixed.
Hi,
I had my smart meter installed in the mid of Jan 2019. I was under the impression that OVO will get the actual readings automatically and I will be paying the exact amount. I was billed the same estimated monthly cost in last month's bill.

I thought that might be because it is the first bill since the smart meter and the actual usage billing probably would be applied to the next month. But even this month I have been charged the same average estimated usage amount.

The reason I want this is, I do not want to have a huge amount outstanding at the end of my contract with OVO if I do not want to stay with them or even in the same flat.
Userlevel 5
Hi @faraz - check out the best answer at the top of this thread for more information!
The sole reason for the installation of the smart meter was so the meter is read automatically! What is the point of having one installed if I doesn't work? Why doesn't OVO fix this problem? They are the one who are aware that they are not receiving the signal / information and are therefore unable to supply correct bills.
Userlevel 5
Hi @JMD,

There are certain things we can to to make sure we're communicating with your smart meters, such as booster devices like relays and aerials. In very rare circumstances, we may not be able to get the meters to connect to us. This is usually in remote areas with poor mobile signal. We can still supply correct bills in these cases, we'd just need the customer to send us a reading manually once a month.

Thanks,
Nancy
How can you give a reading on a gas meter if it is blank
Userlevel 5
Hi @Opheliap - I've moved your post onto this topic about taking readings from a smart meter - does this help?
Hi

I am looking to leave OVO and go to Bulb, but they will require regular meter readings. The only way i can currently access my meter readings is online through the OVO app or website. After the conversion to a smart meter it is no longer possible for me to take manual readings, there is no longer a display available. Is there anyway around this problem?

Also, if I decide to stay with OVO will they be able to give me a more up-to-date IHD smart meter?
Userlevel 5
I've moved your query over here, @Wonderboyo, this will explain how to take a meter reading!

The Chameleon IHD is a new piece of tech so the quantities are limited. If this does change, we’ll be sure to let our customers know!
Hi @faraz - check out the best answer at the top of this thread for more information!
Hi

We had an electricity smart meter installed in December, ordered from OVO under the UKP30 incentive offer, together with a gas smart meter which was installed later. I noted this week the electricity meter doesn’t submit readings. The gas smart meter works fine.

I raised this with your team, and was told today that this smart meter did not work with OVO and I should order one from OVO if I wanted one to work and submit automatically. I did order it from OVO. We live in London, so the remote area excuse doesn’t apply.

Can this please be sorted out.

Thank you.

With kind regards

Andreas
More importantly, on checking again, it appears that your installer messed this up, because the new meter never was registered with your site, and you kept estimating for the old meter.

It really isn’t very impressive.

With kind regards

Andreas
I've just noticed on my app that I am being asked for meter readings for my gas even though I have a smart meter! I thought the purpose of a smart meter was that I wouldn't need to give them? My electricity is being read through it but not my gas for some reason! Any ideas?
Userlevel 3
Hi @AndreasB,

It sounds like an issue with a very simple fix on our end. It sounds like our system may not be updated with the new smart meter information, or the old meter details haven't automatically been removed, stopping the smart meter readings from updating on your account.

If you can pop us a call on 0330 3035063, between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday and hopefully one of our helpful advisors can look into this.

It also sounds like you may not have gotten one our In Home Display units (IHD) during the installation, which could also explain some of the incorrect information you're seeing. When you call our team, they can also help you with this too!

Hope this gets resolved asap for you!
Userlevel 3
I've moved you to this topic @Mclek5, as I feel it best answers your query!

It does sound like your gas meter has fallen out of communication with your electricity smart meter. This post will show you how to take a manual reading whilst you get in touch with us to investigate what we can do to help you resolve this matter.

Hope this helps!
How do you get your Economy 7 reading manually on a SMART meter?
Userlevel 5
Press button 6, @MikeWilliams ! IMP R01 is the night read and IMP R02 is the day read.