Skip to main content
F.A.Q.

Power Move Plus - Frequently Asked Questions

• 25 October 2023
  • 64 replies
Power Move Plus - Frequently Asked Questions

Want to know more about Power Move Plus?

Take part in Power Move Plus events and earn even more rewards for shifting electricity to greener times of the day. 

What is Power Move Plus?

This winter, OVO is offering customers even more chances to save. We’re taking part in the Electricity Systems Operator (ESO)’s Demand Flexibility Service to help customers reduce their bills this winter and reduce demand on the grid at peak times.

How does Power Move Plus work?

Power Move Plus is a series of events where you can earn credit towards your energy bill by moving your electricity usage out of times when there is the highest demand on the UK’s electricity grid (usually weekdays between 4-7pm). 

For each Power Move Plus event we’ll email you to let you know:

• the times when there is the highest demand for electricity. You’ll need to shift your electricity usage out of these times.
  • your personal electricity use target for that period. You’ll need to use less electricity than this during the event.  

How will I earn credit with Power Move Plus?

We’ll reward you with energy credit for every kWh of electricity usage you shift below your target. The amount you can earn will vary per event and you’ll be told what the value of each kWh is in your email before you opt in. You’ll need to opt in to each event.

If a Power Move Plus event and a Power Move event take place at the same time then, you’ll be eligible for credit for both Power Move and Power Move Plus.

Remember - if you’re already shifting your electricity usage out of 4-7pm as part of Power Move, you’ll earn more by also opting in to Power Move Plus. 

How much reward will I receive?

The amount of the reward you’ll receive will depend on the level of demand on the grid and how much non-essential electricity you can shift. You can opt in to as many events as you want to.

If you don’t reduce your usage below your target then you won’t receive a reward for that event, even if you’ve opted in to it.

Each month the bill credits you receive through these rewards will vary depending on:

• The number of Power Move Plus events you’ve opted in to 
  • The reward value of the events you’ve opted in to
  • If you’ve reduced your electricity usage below your target 

For example: We’re offering £2.40 per kWh of electricity shifted. If you have a personal target of 3kWh and reduce your usage to 2kWh, you’ve shifted 1kWh you’ll make a saving of £2.40 for that event. 

How can I get involved?

We’ll invite eligible customers this winter to sign up to Power Move Plus - keep an eye on your emails. 

To be eligible, you’ll need to have a smart meter, be a pay monthly or on demand customer and, opt in to half hourly meter reads and email marketing consent. You can update your meter read or marketing preference via your online account. Terms apply to Power Move Plus- see here for details. Please note that our Power Move Plus events are available to limited numbers of customers at the moment and are available on a first come, first served basis but we’re working to open the events up to more customers.

Do I need to opt in to each event?

You can choose which events to opt in to. Sometimes it might not be possible to shift your usage to meet your target. If that’s the case then you don’t need to take part in that event. If you do want to take part, then you’ll need to opt in to each individual event.

If you don’t opt in you won’t receive a reward for that event even if you hit your personal target.

How do I shift my energy usage to hit the target?

The best way to shift your electricity usage is to use power-intensive appliances, like washing machines and dishwashers outside of event times. Power Move Plus is all about using your electricity usage at different times - so your overall usage shouldn’t change. You’ll earn bill credit based on how much electricity you managed to shift.

It’s a great way to rely less on fossil fuels – while reducing your energy bills. And if we all make small changes to our energy use together, we’ll make a bigger difference to our collective carbon footprint. A big step on the Path to Zero!

How does Power Move Plus work with Power Move?

We’re offering customers even more chances to be rewarded. You can take part in both Power Move and Power Move Plus to supercharge your savings this winter. 

With Power Move, we challenge you to shift your non-essential electricity use to times when the grid is greenest. We set new challenges with different monthly targets every three months, and at the end we reward you with energy credit for hitting the target. 

Power Move Plus offers you even more chances to be rewarded, with shorter, one off events. You’ll receive a personal target with each Power Move Plus event and be rewarded based on how much electricity you shift below the target.

Why am I being rewarded for shifting my usage out of a high price time period?

When everyone’s using power, and demand on the UK’s energy grid is high, there’s less renewable power (such as solar or wind) to go around. This means dirty fossil fuel generators need to be switched on to fill the gap to keep the lights on in the UK.

By shifting your non-essential electricity use away from peak times, you’re reducing the demand on the grid and our dependence on fossil fuels. You’ll be using electricity at times where the grid is likely to be greener.

Want to find out more? Head over to our website for Frequently Asked Questions

We want to hear from you! 

We’d love to hear from those that are taking part in Power Move Plus. Leave a comment below to tell us if you’re part of the scheme. What approach will you take to hit the target?  

Thanks,
The OVO team

Excess power from the national grid ESO is being disposed into countries such as Belgium and the Netherlands. This means that the ESO must pay high prices to offload the surplus energy. The ESO do this to manage an oversupply of power and reduced generation overflow at interconnectors.7 Jun 2023

Interesting reading about what happens when we all cut down our energy usage as a nation...

https://www.resolveenergy.co.uk/blog/article/grid-paying-more-to-dump-excess-energy-into-other-countries#:~:text=Excess%20power%20from%20the%20national,reduced%20generation%20overflow%20at%20interconnectors.

https://www.resolveenergy.co.uk/blog/article/grid-paying-more-to-dump-excess-energy-into-other-countries#:~:text=Excess%20power%20from%20the%20national,reduced%20generation%20overflow%20at%20interconnectors.

Interesting reading about what happens when we ALL cut energy usage as a nation ...

There are flows in and out of European countries all the time. 

The point is that others can turn their generators down when the draw reduces. If the UK has powered up coal fired plant to cope with demand, it can’t just be shut down. 
If we can ensure we don’t need polluting generation, it will be easier to maintain 

Excess power from the national grid ESO is being disposed into countries such as Belgium and the Netherlands. This means that the ESO must pay high prices to offload the surplus energy. The ESO do this to manage an oversupply of power and reduced generation overflow at interconnectors.7 Jun 2023

Interesting reading about what happens when we all cut down our energy usage as a nation...

It is not a well written article unfortunately as it mixes up various things. 

The Balancing mechanism would exist even if the interconnectors were not there. 

https://www.nationalgrideso.com/what-we-do/electricity-national-control-centre/what-balancing-mechanism

A description of interconnectors. 

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/energy-explained/what-are-electricity-interconnectors

All but one of the remaining coal powered electricity power sites recently closed since last winter in the UK. This is the last one due to close in 2024 unless it is extended. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_coal-fired_power_stations_in_the_United_Kingdom

Does OVO participate in this scheme and how do customers take part ?

Yes. The OVO scheme is called Power Move Plus, to distinguish it from their own Power Move. The two different schemes operate concurrently and aren’t mutually exclusive.

Why don’t they tell people about it instead of leaving them to search around forums ?

Why don’t they tell people about it instead of leaving them to search around forums?

Well, to be fair, if you visit the National Grid ESO DFS page, there’s a list of participating suppliers (called Registered providers); clicking on the OVO entry on this list takes you straight to the introductory page for the Power Move Plus scheme.

That still leave me searching around for the info when OVO could easily email customers or put some info on the App.  Since transferring from SSE a couple of years ago I have never had any problems with OVO billing, DD, etc, but I sometimes wonder if they are a branch of MI5.

So I opt in for the power move which normally operates between 5pm and 7pm. At this time of day the only electrical items that are on is for cooking my tea, the only way I can hit my target is eating after 7pm. The suggestions I get when not hitting my target is not to use items like washing machine, tumble dryer or dish washer, none of these are ever on at this time. So how can I ever hit my target?

My power move plus target for 17th January was 0.2kwh. Just received email saying I didn't achieve it. Yet from the app 5.30pm was 0.07kwh and 6pm was 0.11kwh. How is that more than 0.2kwh?

How do I query this?

I had success, the first time I opted in for this <0.8kWh on Jan 17th 5:30-6:30pm. I made sure the underfloor heating was switched off, and we went out. We managed 0.38kWh and received £1.26 reward. But I note from other posts that the target might get harder next time. I await with interest.

Tony

Last target was 0.3 - had 1 LED lamp and 1 TV on plus all the normal things like fridge freezer etc. ticking over. Not met. Think my last 5 days included at least 2 days when we were away on vacation - so skewed target!!

I agree !

Ok here is my issue with the Power Move Plus I always make sure I have turned off what I need to at least 10 mins before and 10/15 mins after the allocated times for the session so why don't i get the full £3.

… why don't i get the full £3.

From the FAQ: “We’ll reward you with energy credit for every kWh of electricity you shift below your target.” You shifted 0.81 kWh:

0.81 kWh x £3/kWh = £2.43

You would have to check the precise figures for your consumption in the target period; the ones shown on your account pages are only approximate. 

@Firedog oh ok that make sense thank you for verifing that for me. 👍

Last target was 0.3 - had 1 LED lamp and 1 TV on plus all the normal things like fridge freezer etc. ticking over. Not met. Think my last 5 days included at least 2 days when we were away on vacation - so skewed target!!

When asleep or for certain hours of the day, turn your fuse box levers to 'OFF' on everything, including your fridge and freezer. Nothing will go bad or defrost as long as you don't do it for excessive amounts of time !!! This will bring your usage down dramatically.  I'm single, so I'm not sure about multi-member households !!!!  You'll have to work it out. 

Hi @Ria ,

The PMP window was 5.30 to 6.30 not 6.00.

Looking at my own figures, it looks as though they add up the half-hourly usage figures for 6.00 and 6.30. I think those figures are for the half-hour ending at that time but I may be wrong.

I hope that helps!

It’s 4pm to 7pm, not 5pm to 7pm.

If you are cooking during those times, it’s unlikely you’ll hit the target. You need to move that sort of thing to be outside of that window. It’s weekdays only though - weekends are excluded.

When asleep or for certain hours of the day, turn your fuse box levers to 'OFF' on everything, including your fridge and freezer. Nothing will go bad or defrost as long as you don't do it for excessive amounts of time !!! This will bring your usage down dramatically.  I'm single, so I'm not sure about multi-member households !!!!  You'll have to work it out. 

DO NOT do that. Fridges and freezers aren’t designed to be flipped on and off every day/night and neither is half the critical stuff like your broadband router. Doing this on a daily basis may lead to permanent electrical damage. You have been warned.

You DON'T have to do it 'everyday' !!! Plus, your fridge and freezer are turned on and off every single day, many times a day.  All you are doing is increasing what they are already doing !!! And funnily enough, it's okay to reboot your Wi-Fi router everyday !!!  If you are trying to reduce your usage, say every Friday between 2 - 3 pm, then just turn your power switches off during that time.  I've been doing it and have had no problems.  My usage for 4-7 pm, M-F, is approx 8% !!!!  I pay less than £72 a month for gas & electric, for a one bedroom bungalow (and that was for Dec, when my usual bill is less than £60 a month !!!

But at what cost? Take it from me, as someone with a BTEC Level 5 Higher National Diploma in Computing and Systems Development. You risk doing more harm than good to your electrical items by doing what you are doing.

Do not blindly flip switches on and off like that without thinking about whether your stuff is actually designed to cope with it. The Wi-Fi Router takes up barely anything, possibly £1 a year at most. Don’t turn it off or your broadband speeds WILL tank to nothing.

To each their own.  I do it when needed with no adverse reactions. Thanks for your concern anyway.

@Simon 1402 5.30 reading is for 5.30 til 6 and 6pm reading is 6 til 6.30 so total would be 0.18kwh for 5.30 til 6.30 which is less than 0.2kwh.